Losing a post due to being logged out while typing

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
slowster

Losing a post due to being logged out while typing

Post by slowster »

I think the forum software may have changed in how it deals with the situation where someone is typing a (likely lengthy) post and is logged out due to inactivity.

Previously my experience has been that when this happened, clicking on Preview or Submit would take me to the login page. If I then logged in, I think that I then used to see the previewed or submitted post.

Now, when I log back in I am taken back to the compose post page, but the post that I had typed is not shown and the text field is blank. However, I have found that I can recover the post text by using my browser's 'back' button to go back two pages, i.e. back to the login page and then back to the compose post page. On that page the full text that I had typed is shown, and I can click on either Preview or Submit. That said, I guess the storing of the text might be a feature of the browser, rather than the forum software.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Losing a post due to being logged out while typing

Post by admin »

The Forum doesn't know anything about what you've typed until you Preview or Submit, which will send the post text to the server.

But yes, your browser should probably remember things you've entered into an online form. It's the only bit of software that sees the text as you type it.

The behaviour of the Cycling UK Forum is standard phpBB behaviour. There might be more discussion about this sort of thing on the phpBB website: https://www.phpbb.com.