Only One Kidney

briansnail

Re: Only One Kidney

Post by briansnail »

When you check with Dr Kildare. Admittedly you need 6 months to recover.However do ask as cycling is sweaty is this not good for people with one kidney.? Due to the salt sodium/potassium excreted it may help the kidney whose function for all of us will decline with age. The kidney is getting less stress with less salt to excrete.If this argument does not advance/help your case for cycling with the medics.Call in Perry Mason who will present a stronger case.Good Luck.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

ps Realistically it may be the medics do not want you cycling period.Ask yourself what you like about cycling.The answer is probably you like meeting people on club runs.The physical activity and escaping the house.There are alternatives.Brisk group walks that you can organize or are available via your council.Turn negatives into positives.Also boil the kettle each morning and drink 2 glasses of WARM water.In winter some people still go for the cold tap.They will drink less when water is cold in winter.You will know to avoid processed soups that are so high in salt.
The impact on your body will be less if you walk on grass rather than hard tarmac.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Several bits to unpick here.

Firstly, if you watch Brevet, there’s a German chap in his 70s doing PBP having previously had a nephrectomy for a renal tumour.

Secondly, doctors are people like anyone else and are not specifically educated on the risks of cycling. It may just be that the consultant you saw is anti-cycling or overestimates the risks; on the other hand, there’s a reasonable chance (in line with the stereotypes) your anaesthetist will be into bikes and coffee.

Further exploration with consultant sounds reasonable, or a second opinion on this issue. In my non-expert opinion, the general health and well-being benefits of carrying on probably outweigh the risks, but that’s a discussion for you and your doctor.