mjr

Rule for informative titles

Post by mjr »

Looking through Active Topics today, there are various unhelpful vague titles:

'What's going on here then?'
'Anyone still using this stuff?'
'Can you see it?'
'first post, first off, some advice if possible :)'

Should a rule be added for the topic title to actually describe the content of the topic? For example, any products or brands involved in the opening post should be named.

Most of us will have neither experience or opinion on Spargletron Foobwarbler 300 levers, so it's a waste of our time reading a topic asking for help on it and the opening poster may well complain that we're wasting their time if we post about it.

It's also needless cognitive load to have to remember that "Has this happened to you?" is a post about something we neither know nor care about, and not click on it and waste time every time it's highlighted as unread. We can bookmark or subscribe to topics, but we can't ignore topics. Ignoring the most frequent vague titlers is possible but not obvious (click their name then Add Foe... and even that wouldn't work if they are a moderator)

Adopting this rule would also enable mods to add descriptions to the titles and to offer guidance to posters.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Re: Rule for informative titles

Post by mattheus »

:like:
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

With no disrespect to other posters intended it’s really helpful to have meaningful tittles - meaningful to more than the OP ‘cause they’re probably looking for responses and that means getting people to read the original post. Tittles do let folk know whether something is worth reading and they do show up in searches for information.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I've just seen a really good one ( on another forum where mjr lurks):
"I know this has been discussed before but........"

:?: :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It has :D Guess the subject of the following before clicking the link. What about this? viewtopic.php?t=130426
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Oh, leave it be. There are enough picky divots on here without giving them another needle to poke at the innocent.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Audax67 wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 9:21am Oh, leave it be. There are enough picky divots on here without giving them another needle to poke at the innocent.
Is that a spoonerism? It's over my head :-/
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

It would certainly be helpful. There seem loads of subject these days that give no suggestion of the subject. Those listed above are just recent but it's an ongoing unhelpful habit. Surprising the those creating threads do think about makin g life easier for others reading the forum.

I'd agree - good idea.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I hope this suggestion is actively considered and a decision reached, rather than it just drifting on
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If anyone has any practical ideas for how this could be done, I'd be happy to consider them.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I doubt that this may be dealt with as an IT issue. Rather, its about moderation.

I'd draw a parallel with the rule about including frame size in bike adverts. IIRC, somebody volunteered as a mod to enforce this and one way or another, compliance seems generally good