Berghaus Repairhaus

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
backnotes

Berghaus Repairhaus

Post by backnotes »

OK so Berghaus aren't strictly a cycling brand, but a lot of us probably commute in or camp using their kit.

I recently broke the zip on a Berghaus jacket that was at least 10 years old, with no proof of purchase. I mailed them to ask if they could suggest how to get it repaired and what the cost would be, and they replied telling me about their Repairhaus scheme https://www.berghaus.com/repairs.list.

I sent the jacket in, and it was returned after around 3 weeks with the main zip, and a pocket zip, replaced. The cost to me was second class postage to them - the repair and return carriage were free of charge. I think this is great scheme to extend the life of otherwise serviceable kit.

I've since recommended the service to other cyclists who use Berghaus kit, and like me, none of them had been aware of this service. I've searched on here and can't find an existing mention, but apologies if this is old news to everyone else.
tenbikes

Re: Berghaus Repairhaus

Post by tenbikes »

I used the service last year with equally good results.
Brilliant!
maximus meridius

Post by maximus meridius »

Interesting. I was about to comment that that is typical of some German/Austrian companies - a commitment to long term viability of their products. Miele domestic appliances and Swarovski optics being two examples that are known for that. Both privately held companies, which is noteworthy.

But it turns out that Berghaus is British:

https://www.millets.co.uk/blog/berghaus ... Sunderland.

Turns out Berghaus is also private, as far as I can tell. Private meaning that the shares aren't traded on a stock exchange. A common idea is that private companies are better in some ways, as the directors (who are often the principal shareholders) don't have to worry about keeping public shareholders happy via the share price, so can innovate as they wish.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Very good tip!

The pocket zips on my walking jacket failed not long after I got it, so I feel a parcelling session coming on.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Berghaus seems to now be owned by the Pentland Group, which also own Endura, JD Sports and quite a few other brands
maximus meridius

Post by maximus meridius »

VinceLedge wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 1:40pm Berghaus seems to now be owned by the Pentland Group, which also own Endura, JD Sports and quite a few other brands
Quite possibly. Presumably a "wholly owned subsidiary" or something. Company structures isn't something I know much about.

Somebody called Christopher John Storey Bonington is down as a director of Berghaus. Who must be knocking on a bit, he came to give a talk to us lads at school, and that was a few decades ago.
hercule

Post by hercule »

He’s 89. And he is the Chris Bonington

https://www.berghaus.com/athletes-and-a ... ngton.list
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

maximus meridius wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 10:44pm
Somebody called Christopher John Storey Bonington is down as a director of Berghaus.
Christian, not Christopher.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Patagonia has been doing this for donks btw - sustainability pioneers plus much more.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Bonefishblues wrote: 25 Dec 2023, 12:49pm Patagonia has been doing this for donks btw - sustainability pioneers plus much more.
Yes, they definitely deserve kudos here, and its good to see that after most outdoor kit manufacture went to the far east and in-house repair disappeared it's increasingly common to see it coming back. Rab, Rohan, Montane and Alpkit (amongst others, I'm sure) all now sport this sort of service as well as Berghaus and Patagonia.

It's worth noting that local tailors/alteration services will do a lot of this sort of thing for very fair prices.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

Earlier this year, Patagonia repaired for free (including all postage) my 19-year-old Ready Mix jacket. :shock:
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

maximus meridius wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 11:10am Interesting. I was about to comment that that is typical of some German/Austrian companies - a commitment to long term viability of their products. Miele domestic appliances and Swarovski optics being two examples that are known for that. Both privately held companies, which is noteworthy.

But it turns out that Berghaus is British:

https://www.millets.co.uk/blog/berghaus ... Sunderland.

Turns out Berghaus is also private, as far as I can tell. Private meaning that the shares aren't traded on a stock exchange. A common idea is that private companies are better in some ways, as the directors (who are often the principal shareholders) don't have to worry about keeping public shareholders happy via the share price, so can innovate as they wish.
It was the own brand of LD Mountain Centre in Newcastle, Berghaus being a bad play on Mountain Centre.

Not sure Lockey and Davison are still alive though.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

backnotes wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 5:55pm OK so Berghaus aren't strictly a cycling brand, but a lot of us probably commute in or camp using their kit.

I recently broke the zip on a Berghaus jacket that was at least 10 years old, with no proof of purchase. I mailed them to ask if they could suggest how to get it repaired and what the cost would be, and they replied telling me about their Repairhaus scheme https://www.berghaus.com/repairs.list.

I sent the jacket in, and it was returned after around 3 weeks with the main zip, and a pocket zip, replaced. The cost to me was second class postage to them - the repair and return carriage were free of charge. I think this is great scheme to extend the life of otherwise serviceable kit.

I've since recommended the service to other cyclists who use Berghaus kit, and like me, none of them had been aware of this service. I've searched on here and can't find an existing mention, but apologies if this is old news to everyone else.
Thank you, this is really good information and I was unaware that this service was offered. I recently changed a zip by hand in my Berghaus Choktoi Windstopper black fleece and I can't remember exactly how old it is, but I know I purchased it before I started using the internet on a regular basis and certainly did not have internet connection at home, just in work at the time.

This garment has to be over 20yrs old and was bought from an outdoor shop in Cardiff that has long closed down and apart from the zip, is in very good condition. I have a number of fleece jackets all pretty old, including an ancient Karrimor Alpiniste and a body hugging Mountain Hardware fleece that gets used as a layer on the bike, but all the others only get used when walking, which is pretty much every day.

I bought a chunky zip from Ebay that cost me around £6 that looks to me much better than than the original small tooth zip originally fitted. In fact the zip was my only concern when I originally bought the fleece, as it looked a bit fragile but I can't complain because it actually lasted a good many years before it failed.

It would most likely have cost me more in postage than what I paid for the zip in my case, to send it off for repair, but replacing it by hand was very labour intensive and time consuming, not to mention the sore fingers afterwards and will definitely consider sending any future repairs for this fleece and the other Berghaus garments/hats that I own back to them for attention.

So once again, thanks for the information, very useful.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Under their "Lifetime" guarantee I sent a a pair of walking boots back to Berghaus as the stitching had failed on the tongue. The boots were well outside the usual warranty period being about 5 years old. However Berghaus agreed that, considering the boots had not been mistreated nor had a hard life judging by the soles, the material should not have failed . They gave me a brand new pair of boots FOC and reinstated the warranty.