Yaw Know About Solar Chargers?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sooper8

Solar panel for usb charging?

Post by Sooper8 »

I would appreciate pointers please.

This coming summer, if I wanted to charge a USB block/battery, to then use to charge phone every day, what solar panel would be suited for the job? (either the a specific set up, or the specs on one)

Thanks
Psamathe

Re: Solar panel for usb charging?

Post by Psamathe »

I use one every cycle tour. Mine is a 21 watt dual USB port one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012VL20GW (no longer available).

It works well and I take a lot of electronics, GPS, phone, iPad, camera, Kindle, etc. each day creating tomorrow's route, uploading photos, new post on website, editing some photos on iPad, etc. My tours typically 2 months in EU, northern half of France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands. I'm fine with just solar panel (no dynamo) until I get 3 days rain/overcast in a row when power starts getting "tight".

I only use panel at campsite, not whilst riding. I take 2 small 10,000 mAh batteries and charge those from panel once devices are charged (making max use of panel and contingency).

Ian
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Many thanks Ian - so, is it not possible to position it on bike to charge while riding ? Is it not practical ?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Sooper8 wrote: 9 Feb 2024, 10:42pm Many thanks Ian - so, is it not possible to position it on bike to charge while riding ? Is it not practical ?
Seen videos from some who do position on bike. I've no idea how well it works 'cos I've never tried - just using at campsites is enough for me.

Ian
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

You basically need quite a sizeable solar panel, > 20W, like Ian's.

The quoted power is for full sun in Africa or the south of Spain, aimed at at the sun. By the time you make allowances for reduced power because of clouds and other shadows, trying to charge early or late when the sun's relatively low, or for the panel not pointing at the sun because it's on the back of the bike, you need the extra over the 2 - 5W you'd get from a dynohub.

What are useless are powerbanks with a built-in solar panel.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I have the same one as Ian. I like it but remember you do need quite strong light to get the best from them. Outer Hebrides? Forget it! I make sure my battery pack is fully charged before heading out and use the panel to top it up when I can’t access mains. I have it strapped across the top of my rear panniers/tent during the day and then hung up, laid out when in camp.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Psamathe wrote: 9 Feb 2024, 10:59pm
Sooper8 wrote: 9 Feb 2024, 10:42pm Many thanks Ian - so, is it not possible to position it on bike to charge while riding ? Is it not practical ?
Seen videos from some who do position on bike. I've no idea how well it works 'cos I've never tried - just using at campsites is enough for me.

Ian
Many thanks - I 'researched' a bit on YouTube and could only find one example of it being strapped to a bike, on the front bar bag.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

andrew_s wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 1:02am You basically need quite a sizeable solar panel, > 20W, like Ian's.

The quoted power is for full sun in Africa or the south of Spain, aimed at at the sun. By the time you make allowances for reduced power because of clouds and other shadows, trying to charge early or late when the sun's relatively low, or for the panel not pointing at the sun because it's on the back of the bike, you need the extra over the 2 - 5W you'd get from a dynohub.

What are useless are powerbanks with a built-in solar panel.
Many thanks for the info. I'll steer clear of the solar power bank , but might dip my toe in the water of separate solar panel and power pack.

I am trying to do it on a budget , so that is why I ruled out the dynohub...I didnt research, but presumed it would cost more £'s than I could afford.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 7:57am I have the same one as Ian. I like it but remember you do need quite strong light to get the best from them. Outer Hebrides? Forget it! I make sure my battery pack is fully charged before heading out and use the panel to top it up when I can’t access mains. I have it strapped across the top of my rear panniers/tent during the day and then hung up, laid out when in camp.
So, a bit more of a trickle charge than a solar zapping!? haha
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've done long multi month tour with only a solar panel for power.
But I've got a large 12v panel bolted to the top of my trailer box feeding through a DC/DC adapter to step it down to 5v.
Due to it's output, I can just get some charge under a light overcast.
So go for the biggest panel you can afford as it gives you more leeway as to what conditions you can get power.
On tour I plan to set off early and finish by mid afternoon, that way I get a few hours of charging under ideal conditions if needed.
When charging phones or similar devices also check if it keep charging after the sun goes behind a cloud for a few second and the panel stop putting out power. Some devices will just switch off and not restart charging.
It helps to have 2 power banks. That way you can charge one while the other charges devices.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tigerbiten wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 1:44am I've done long multi month tour with only a solar panel for power.
But I've got a large 12v panel bolted to the top of my trailer box feeding through a DC/DC adapter to step it down to 5v.
So go for the biggest panel you can afford as it gives you more leeway as to what conditions you can get power.
On tour I plan to set off early and finish by mid afternoon, that way I get a few hours of charging under ideal conditions if needed.
When charging phones or similar devices also check if it keep charging after the sun goes behind a cloud for a few second and the panel stop putting out power. Some devices will just switch off and not restart charging.
It helps to have 2 power banks. That way you can charge one while the other charges devices.
Thanks.

Which panel would you recommend?

Jonathan
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 9:07am
Tigerbiten wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 1:44am I've done long multi month tour with only a solar panel for power.
Thanks.

Which panel would you recommend?

Jonathan
Sorry, I've no idea.
My setup is a DIY build and is around 12 years old now.
I've a 100 litre aluminium box bolted on my large carry freedom trailer frame and the panel I got was the largest one which was just a fraction smaller than the lid.
The panel is bolted/glued to the lid and the box helps to act as a heatsink to stop the panel overheating.
When I stop at a campsite, I can prop the lid up at a 45 degree angle facing the sun to maximize power in and cooling if needed.

What will work best for you will depend on the max size of the panel you can carry.

Luck.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
gom

Post by gom »

I used a 12W panel last year in Lancashire/Yorkshire and found it kept my 10,000mAh well charged. The latter was only used to charge my phone and Bluetooth earbuds.
As I was only in campsites from early evening I tied it over my tent, which was strapped to my rear rack.

Some things to note with the solar panel:
* Testing it at home I laid it on the ground where it got very hot, and appeared to stop outputting any power. All OK once it had cooled down. I suppose there is some sort of cut out.
* The power bank has micro usb for input, plus usb C for input/output (plus two usb A for output). At home I charge via usb C from a plug, but found this was no good with the solar panel. All ok using the micro usb. The power bank must have to work out what is plugged into the C and decide on a power direction. Panel output fluctuates with light level, so I’m guessing the power bank refuses to believe it should be charging. Or maybe the output is never high enough.

These are only minor niggles, and I was very happy with the way it all worked.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

gom wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 9:45pm
These are only minor niggles, and I was very happy with the way it all worked.
Many thanks. Sounds like a good set up