Recovering from rib injury

Paulatic

Re: Recovering from rib injury

Post by Paulatic »

It’s your ribs, bad breaks can hurt with every breath but you don’t stop breathing just to ease the pain.
As I said up thread I’ve had a lot of rib damage, in my job, over the years. Never a day off to recuperate just work through the pain. I do recall having to take painkillers some nights to fall asleep.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Paulatic wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 4:06pm
Jdsk wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 3:59pm
Dingdong wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 3:53pm Keep active is absolutely the quickest way back to full fitness
It's a good idea to get and keep active, but not to the extent of "pushing through pain".

Jonathan
Why not?
Can you explain what will happen?
I've broken to date 6 bones. On every event I've been advised to 'take it easy', ie sit about like a lemon for 8 weeks. The first time I broke my ankle the doctor said I wouldn't be up and walking before a month. I was up and about 3 days later and back cycling after two weeks. The improvement in circulation and blood flow to the affected joint send to me to outweigh any medical advice, which is normally directed at the sedentary end of the population spectrum
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 3:59pmIt's a good idea to get and keep active, but not to the extent of "pushing through pain".
Jdsk wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 4:15pm Professional concerns include risk of delayed healing of musculoskeletal injuries and greater likelihood of chronic pain syndromes.
David2504 wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 6:10pm And possibly a relapse and risk of re-injury?
I wouldn't call it "relapse" with this sort of problem. That concern is about "delayed healing". Of course it's common not to immobilise fractured ribs in the way that we would other bones so healing is different.

And the recommendation is very much to stay active and not to sit around. For many types of injuries for people who choose to ride bikes this can require other forms of exercise.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I had a rib injury 7 or 8 years ago. The GP said either my rib was broken, or connecting tissue was torn between my ribs. He said it didn't need x-raying.

I think everyone is different, and it's important not to do anything that will re-injure it. My GP said not to ride my bike until I could do so comfortably & without any pain medication.

I was able to use a stationary bike after about 4 weeks, but it was almost 2 months before I could return to road cycling.

A friend who broke a couple of ribs a few years ago was back on the bike after about 6 weeks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
David2504

Post by David2504 »

So my original injury was Thursday 2nd June. It was recovering nicely and on the following Tuesday I was gardening. Light digging, hedge clipping, for a couple of hours without any issues. I then went running in the evening. Big mistake. Everything was fine whilst running but afterwards when cooled off sat at home, the pain was worse than ever. I then visited the Doctor the next day who confirmed bruised or cracked 6th rib, but not complete break.

Today I completed a 52 mile ride with over 4,200 feet of climbing pain free. And today I’ve not taken any painkillers. So I’m thinking my rib was bruised only. I can still feel a dull ache on stretching arms above head and with some movements, but nothing painful. I can even cough with only slight pain (1 out of ten). I might try a short slow run later next week if things continue to improve.
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

I just got diagnosed with a rib injury after a ride. Did someone here try to go to a chiropractor?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

jazzkitten wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 8:37pm I just got diagnosed with a rib injury after a ride. Did someone here try to go to a chiropractor?
No. But a dozen broken ribs, past 3 yr's. As a 3-5 times a week gym attendee, 150 miles typical weekly on the bike ? It's worth being absolutely idle for 4-6 weeks, do absolutely nothing. Pain will go, bones will recover, can start stretching after that