Super keen Cyclist age 50: Dementia

briansnail

Re: Super keen Cyclist age 50: Dementia

Post by briansnail »

& it's when you're intending to camp wild & a 4/4 driver has phoned around local pubs/hotels, booked you into a Country House Hotel for peanuts and driven you down the road (2022), makes you realize most people are incredible !
Absoutely! Do not forget if conventional bikes are out. E bikes are good in the country side to get some fresh air and out of the house.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

"Conflating issues does not help"
Some merit in that comment.
Parochial v Catholic post responses
People have different responses depending on educational training and genetics and not importantly - personal preference.Do note that these are one minute posts.Not essays or novels that invite detailed inspection.

Example:Malaria is a big problem is a big problem.In a seminar on how to kill "mossies" .One engineer was talking about lasers.Well of the beaten track.He was shouted down how silly!.Keep the conversation on track! see below for result they settled on.

Margaret T argued for Industry led science research.However many of key research is the bedrock of industry.

"The lethal laser is fired at the mosquito and is able to kill it mid-flight, possibly by overheating it. In a video published by Intellectual V, the mosquito's wings appear to wither, shrivel up and the body drops to the floor, often motionless."

I have gone well out of the original issue of Dementia.Sometimes "conflating issues can be valid and useful" sometimes not.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Former maths teacher Bill attends a day care session once a week, but Kathleen believes he would benefit if he could attend more - which could in part be paid for by the money she could be saving on VAT.

“We pay £97 a day so if VAT was knocked off we could pay for a whole extra day a month,” she told The Independent. “I know they’re not a charity but they’re helping the community and I don’t think it’s right that we have to pay tax on this care. Bill worked and paid tax his whole life, but now he needs this support he needs to spend all his money on it.
“It’s just not fair and you shouldn’t be punished for having dementia and needing care.”
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My wife of 55 years died of dementia in 2020, my mother, my brother, my father in law, and my wifes grandmother all died of dementia. Our family has paid out a small fortune in care fees.

But, accoding to the NHS dementia is not an illness and instead of recieving 'free' care the individual and the individuals family must fund that care. They can take your house to pay for it.

My own feeling is that dementia can randomly strike anyone, just like Cancer, Parkinsons, Motor Neurone Disease or any medical condition. We should be looking after our own. Its not just the dementia patient that suffers but the family (carers) who suffer too. A national scandal.....

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 3:33pm My wife of 55 years died of dementia in 2020, my mother, my brother, my father in law, and my wifes grandmother all died of dementia. Our family has paid out a small fortune in care fees.

But, accoding to the NHS dementia is not an illness and instead of recieving 'free' care the individual and the individuals family must fund that care. They can take your house to pay for it.

My own feeling is that dementia can randomly strike anyone, just like Cancer, Parkinsons, Motor Neurone Disease or any medical condition. We should be looking after our own. Its not just the dementia patient that suffers but the family (carers) who suffer too. A national scandal.....

Al
My family experience as well (father). NHS for diagnosis and whatever treatment might be available (mainly delaying drugs after early detection at the moment) but after that I'm unsure about if it should be NHS or Social Care and we get into the issues caused by Social Care being Council responsibility, bed blocking when inadequate Social Care ... and no amount of discussion by us seems to make any difference as politicians are more set on tax cuts than funding care for those desperately in need.

Ian
Jdsk

Dementia

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 3:33pm ...
All of the NHSs recognise dementia as an illness. And are responsible for diagnosis and treatment. But the NHS in England isn't generally responsible for care of people with dementia.

The problem in England is that the government won't produce an integrated plan that covers diagnosis and treatment and care.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed post, and making the same point.
Jdsk

Dementia

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 3:38pm ...

My family experience as well (father). NHS for diagnosis and whatever treatment might be available (mainly delaying drugs after early detection at the moment) but after that I'm unsure about if it should be NHS or Social Care and we get into the issues caused by Social Care being Council responsibility, bed blocking when inadequate Social Care ... and no amount of discussion by us seems to make any difference as politicians are more set on tax cuts than funding care for those desperately in need.
Yes. it's complicated and awful and very distressing. And varies across the countries of the UK.

Here's the current guidance from the Alzheimer's Society:
"When does the NHS pay for care? How to apply for NHS continuing healthcare in England and how to appeal if it is not awarded":
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites/def ... 20care.pdf

Jonathan
Jdsk

Dementia

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 3:38pm ... and no amount of discussion by us seems to make any difference as politicians are more set on tax cuts than funding care for those desperately in need.
Age UK and many others on the ten wasted years after the report from the Dilnot Commission:
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-press/a ... ted-years/

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I applied for Nursing care when my my Mrs could no longer stand. She was bedridden clearly out of it, in nappys and in constant pain with undiagnosed spinal collapse. The NHSs line was "carers can do all she needs, she doesnt need Nursing Care therefore we wont pay any care fees", just like dementia isnt an illness. Their review of my application was just a brush off. Never mind the £40 grand of care home fees. Coupled with that after 4 months of being barred from the home because of Covid I only saw her for 10 minutes unconscious at the end before she passed away. After that fighting NHS burocrats wasnt an option for me, I was just exhausted and emotionally drained, something the NHS obviously depend upon.
Do all you can to avoid dementia, you will get very little help from the NHS or the state, and as a carer you are on your own as far as they are concerned.
Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Do all you can to avoid dementia, you will get very little help from the NHS or the state, and as a carer you are on your own as far as they are concerned.
Unfortunately very true note below:

Although there is no known cure yet for dementia there are ways to lower your risk.
And new research suggests that taking up a particular hobby could be one way to do so.
A study, published in Neuroimage: Reports journal, revealed that listening to music or playing an instrument could prevent cognitive decline in old age.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I applied for Nursing care when my my Mrs could no longer stand.
An enormous and overlooked problem in that field.The growing no of adults without children.Around 1 in 5 people born in 1967did'nt have children.

In my local library is a George Orwell prizewinner "Who Cares" by Emily Kenway 2023.Most books like this are waste of time and space.I would urge you to get a copy from your library.This one is not.
There are many things people CHILDREN AND PARENTS do not consider re around parents hitting 70 plus(even those with lots of children) and hidden things that do not get discussed (not only dementia) .This book nails all with a heavy hammer
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

briansnail wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 11:25am A study, published in Neuroimage: Reports journal, revealed that listening to music or playing an instrument could prevent cognitive decline in old age.
I’m sure it can help but it’s no magic bullet. I have known several professional musicians who succumbed to dementia. Interestingly, their musical ability has remained unimpaired. One was a violinist (in his day well known in Scotland) who used to coach us on string quartet courses. In his last years he was completely doolaly - except that he could still play his violin beautifully AND coach a string quartet, discussing both interpretation and technique perfectly rationally. Then afterwards…..