touring gearing ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: touring gearing ?

Post by Vorpal »

ton wrote: 2 Mar 2024, 7:42pm got a 3 week tour planned in France, taking in the massif central.
and i need to change my gearing to suit the terrain.
running 9 speed at present. 26-36-50 with a 12-34 block, was just looking at merlin. 22-32-44 sq taper set on offer, with a 12-36 block. all on off.
worth a punt ?
That is a change I would make, though the gearing already looks pretty good for hills.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi, just to echo the others above, it sounds like your existing triple will take a 24T inner. Spa sell a steel one that I’ve found works well.
If your cassette is worn a replacement with a 36T is a good shout too.

If you’re happy with your existing chain set and shifting, I think it would make sense to keep it? It avoids potential compatibility headaches re front derailleurs, indexed shifters (if applicable) and chainlines. As Slowster described above.

Personally I don’t get on with the wide, high Q factor of most MTB triples. This would be a deal breaker for me!

Best wishes,

Luke
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

LuckyLuke wrote: 6 Mar 2024, 9:21am Hi, just to echo the others above, it sounds like your existing triple will take a 24T inner. Spa sell a steel one that I’ve found works well.
If your cassette is worn a replacement with a 36T is a good shout too.

If you’re happy with your existing chain set and shifting, I think it would make sense to keep it? It avoids potential compatibility headaches re front derailleurs, indexed shifters (if applicable) and chainlines. As Slowster described above.

Personally I don’t get on with the wide, high Q factor of most MTB triples. This would be a deal breaker for me!

Best wishes,

Luke
A caveat ; I bought just such a steel inner ring and kept it for a while.
Eventually I decided to ride the C2C and realised I had a new inner ring - so fitted it to my 9sp setup.
Unfortunately I fitted it at the last moment so it wasn't used until I was actually on the ride.
I found that the chain was sucking on the small ring - very disconcerting on a climb as I had to rapidly unclip and get my foot down to avoid a fall.
When I consulted here on this problem it was pointed out that the chainring was probably 7sp and was too snug a fit on my 9sp chain.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

ANTONISH wrote: 6 Mar 2024, 9:44am
LuckyLuke wrote: 6 Mar 2024, 9:21am Hi, just to echo the others above, it sounds like your existing triple will take a 24T inner. Spa sell a steel one that I’ve found works well.
A caveat ; I bought just such a steel inner ring and kept it for a while.
Eventually I decided to ride the C2C and realised I had a new inner ring - so fitted it to my 9sp setup.
Unfortunately I fitted it at the last moment so it wasn't used until I was actually on the ride.
I found that the chain was sucking on the small ring - very disconcerting on a climb as I had to rapidly unclip and get my foot down to avoid a fall.
When I consulted here on this problem it was pointed out that the chainring was probably 7sp and was too snug a fit on my 9sp chain.
I had a steel 24t inner ring (9sp), probably bought from Spa, which produced chain suck. On investigation I found burrs caused by pressure from the chain rollers. The tooth profiles had also changed a bit. I filed off the burrs. Some while later I found smaller burrs, but if I remember rightly these had not caused chain suck. I filed them off and that was the end of the matter. The tooth profile had obviously changed to something that was able to stand the pressure.