How does your garden grow?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: How does your garden grow?

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 12:27pm
al_yrpal wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 12:23pm You are talking about Percy Thrower(spoofed by Kenneth Williams)...
Please see posts upthread, and:
https://britishcomedyradio.org/beyond-our-ken/

Jonathan
I was a keen listener to those shows as we had no TV.
I was intrigued by the Polari (gay slang) of Sandy and his friend Jules played by Hugh Paddick and Kenneth Wiliams. Rambling Sid Rumpo's songs (also the wonderful Williams) stick in the memory too.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well, one should be able to access those 'iffy' programmes but the prissy woke Beeb doesnt approve and they have been binned for fairly obvious reasons. But, some of us have tapes and CDs and can enjoy them for what they are without malice or disapproval. Gloria, Ranji Ram, Sgt Major Shutup, and Rambling Sid live!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 2:24pm Well, one should be able to access those 'iffy' programmes but the prissy woke Beeb doesnt approve and they have been binned for fairly obvious reasons. But, some of us have tapes and CDs and can enjoy them for what they are without malice or disapproval. Gloria, Ranji Ram, Sgt Major Shutup, and Rambling Sid live!

Al
It is odd, isn't it? Those ingenious double entendres do depend upon there being a prissy environment to play against. There is a fine tradition of music hall risque patter and songs, but it could not have existed in a culture without censorship. I have never thought of the difficulty that D.H.Lawrence or Marie Stopes or James Joyce and many others had in getting their books published as being down to modern ideas of 'wokeness'.

If I could attempt to drag the thread back to gardening...
Oh, she sits among the cabbages and peas
With a pretty little peapod 'tween her knees
She's a whiz at shelling peas
So she sits and shells with ease
Till the pretty little peapod's full of peas.
And she talks to all the little bugs and bees.
They climb up her legs and arms
And all round her other charms.
They see lots of things nobody ever sees.
Marie Lloyd.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 22 Feb 2024, 3:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 2:39pm
Leeks were also available.

: - )

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I looked for an example of the BBC censoring Round The Horne and found this.
It first censored a programme because of racism, and then put it back with a warning.
We are certainly more aware of racism than we once were, and that is a good thing, I think.
Round The Horne repeat 'broke BBC standards'

But 52-year-old comedy won't be banned

A 52-year-old episode of radio comedy Round The Horne has broken current BBC standards because of its potentially racist stereotypes, the broadcaster’s complaints department has ruled.

The episode, from 1967, featured white stars such as Hugh Paddick and Betty Marsden mimicking black characters in an extended parody of the 1950 movie Young Man With A Horn.

Their spoof, written by Barry Took and Marty Feldman, told of a young white man, Bix Spiderthrust (Kenneth Williams), who wanted to enter the black-dominated world of jazz music in the 1920s.

Some of the personalities in the story were given comically exaggerated accents, but host Kenneth Horne made no attempt at putting on a voice, with the joke being that his plummy Home Counties tones were entirely inappropriate for lines such as: ‘I ran my ebony fingers through my frizzy hair.’

However, after the episode was repeated on Radio 4 Extra in February, a listener contacted the BBC, calling it to be banned because of the offence it could cause.

Now the BBC’s editorial complaints unit has agreed that the show had been in breach of the standards.

However, in its newly released findings, the unit stopped short of a ban because of Round The Horne’s status as a comedy classic, with the show recently voted best radio comedy of all time.

But the watchdogs ruled that the episode should always be broadcast with a warning in future, saying that ‘the portrayal of the black characters by white actors was outdated and, in today’s context, potentially offensive’.

Despite insisting on ‘appropriate signposting’ to give listeners the relevant context for any repeats, the unit said the parody was never intended to be racist

The unit noted: ‘It was the stereotypes often encountered in biopics of the era which were the target of the sketch’s humour, and the use of exaggerated accents (for white southern characters as well as black ones) would have been more likely, in the programme’s original context, to undercut prejudice than to perpetuate it. ‘

The sketch can be heard here.
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/07/ ... _standards
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Our garden is in two parts, lower part which is traditional garden with paths, raised beds, borders, etc. Then a fence and the wild garden of Hazel, Holly, big copper beech, hawthorn self seeded like the Hazel and three huge leylandii specimens we've got on sentence of death. Waiting for an executioner, I mean tree surgeon who will actually turn up.
I was all set to take my pictures to post on the CTC site.Beautiful 8 room Georgian house.Amazing 0.5 acre garden.

Unfortunately the owner came out and for some unknown reason chased me off the ladder on his back wall.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yatsushiro wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 4:53pm ...
I'm looking to add more diversity to the plantings, incorporating a variety of native shrubs and perennials to attract pollinators and create a more dynamic landscape. I believe this will add visual interest and contribute to the ecosystem.
How about putting up some bug hotels now to increase the population while you sort out the plants?

Yatsushiro wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 4:53pm ...
I also want to incorporate some additional lighting to create a cozy ambiance in the evenings. I'm thinking of stringing some fairy lights along the fence and adding some solar-powered lanterns along the pathways.
Rather than a hub dynamo?

; - )

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 3:12pm
Mike Sales wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 2:39pm
Leeks were also available.

: - )

Jonathan
Yes, I heard that that was her ingenious substitution, but I think that the full naughtiness of the innuendos does not work with leeks, or perhaps that is just my filthy mind.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:45am This is another part of our "garden".
I was in there yesterday afternoon with the dog, and took this photo.

IMG_1364.jpg
Something to listen to in there Mick. Smith launched this bombshell for 9 minutes after being told to hurry up! Best baseline of the century....

https://youtu.be/SXgN-7A1MXM?feature=shared

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

briansnail wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 1:20pm
Our garden is in two parts, lower part which is traditional garden with paths, raised beds, borders, etc. Then a fence and the wild garden of Hazel, Holly, big copper beech, hawthorn self seeded like the Hazel and three huge leylandii specimens we've got on sentence of death. Waiting for an executioner, I mean tree surgeon who will actually turn up.
I was all set to take my pictures to post on the CTC site.Beautiful 8 room Georgian house.Amazing 0.5 acre garden.

Unfortunately the owner came out and for some unknown reason chased me off the ladder on his back wall.
Brilliant! I am so envious of what I have seen on this post. I can take a picture of my tiny flat and get it all in without a wide angle lens. City living has some real drawbacks, most notably no garden at all.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Snap...
IMG20240313101733.jpg
Dog and Duck

Al :wink: