Portsmouth - Le Havre

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AndreaVin

Portsmouth - Le Havre

Post by AndreaVin »

I'm confused by the information about this route on the Brittany Ferries website. When I try to book a trip Le Havre - Portsmouth for this coming Monday (18th March), I'm offered the option to buy tickets as a cycle passenger. But a week later I'm not. Elsewhere on their info for this route, it says they don't take bikes on the route. What's the truth?!
MrsHJ

Re: Portsmouth - Le Havre

Post by MrsHJ »

You can call them and ask- mixed response I suspect. My best guess is that they’ve got a lot of bookings as that’s the beginning of the Easter week. You could consider bagging your bike and going on as a foot passenger.

What are your cycle plans?
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It doesn’t take bikes or foot passengers sadly, I think to keep costs down at Le Havre.

There is a bus from Caen (town, not Ouistreham port) to Le Havre which takes bikes: https://www.lavelomaritime.com/porte-ve ... e-honfleur
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
AndreaVin

Post by AndreaVin »

We'll just get the train back to Dieppe if necessary. The confusing part is that on their 'Overview' of the route they they say "This service is not available to foot passengers or passengers travelling by bicycle." Yet when I try to book online, bicycle is offered next week, and foot passenger is an option thereafter.
PH

Post by PH »

AndreaVin wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 8:28am We'll just get the train back to Dieppe if necessary.
Le Havre > Portsmouth would have suited me, but I didn't see any bike options. I changed my plans and cycled to Dieppe which added 60 miles. The only real disadvantage was the sailing times, it's either a really early start or arriving in Newhaven late. I took the early start and sailing to Newhaven made no difference, the train home via London was the same time and cost. The ferry a bit cheaper.