Headset on Claud Butler Dalesman

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Headset on Claud Butler Dalesman

Post by Brucey »

I would suggest that you first remove the wedge ring. Don't fret if you end up having to pry it out or destroy it; it can always be replaced.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Thanks Brucey. I guess they're readily available?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

They come as part of a new headset, I doubt available separately,
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a lot of them are more or less the same across a lot of different models. In many cases the adjusting race is a relatively good fit on the steerer, ie. the minimum internal diameter is only a bit larger than 1-1/8".If so, the wedge ring can easily be replaced by a better part, made from bits of old inner tube. See my 'rubbodraulic' post for details. Otherwise it can be plastic or even wood.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Judging by the photograph provided by the OP on the first page, the compression wedge is the type with a slot, the gap of which narrows as the wedge is pressed down on the bearing. The slot is visible in the photograph, and the gap looks large enough that I would try to loosen the wedge by using the blade of a flat screwdriver or similar to prise apart further the two sides of the slot.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

slowster wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 12:25pm Judging by the photograph provided by the OP on the first page, the compression wedge is the type with a slot, the gap of which narrows as the wedge is pressed down on the bearing. The slot is visible in the photograph, and the gap looks large enough that I would try to loosen the wedge by using the blade of a flat screwdriver or similar to prise apart further the two sides of the slot.
I can only see photos of it fully assembled with steerer extender in place ……?
slowster

Post by slowster »

531colin wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 12:34pm I can only see photos of it fully assembled with steerer extender in place ……?
Click on the re-oriented photograph in Jdsk's post, then click on the newly opened image to zoom in. What looks to me like the slot is visible under the brake cable hanger.
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Well that's very odd: I replied just before 1.00 saying I'd tried small screwdrivers but not small enough. But it's vanished.
So I used the handle end of a small round file - and that did the trick! The ring is plastic, minimal damage, and the bearings look to be ok. They're in the paraffin wash at the mo, will look carefully, but from what I've seen, everything is in good nick for a bike bought in 2010. If I see any obvious sugns of wear, I'll replace the bearings.

So thank you all VERY much for your help and expertise. Really appreciated.
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Just noticed another reply has gone missing, sent around 11.00 - 11.30, with a photo, in reply to Colin's at 10.52. But that's vanished too.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

When something strange happens, I usually assume I’ve messed it up; and that’s probably about right!

I do need the name of “Slowsters optician, though…..
And that’s another way water can get in the top of threadless headsets!

Assuming they are “sealed” bearings, there is usually a rubbery “seal” top and bottom .
I normally pick out the seal on the “bottom” side of each bearing, because I always ride with full mudguards I think water is most likely coming down from the top, so a top seal is useful, but a bottom seal may simply trap water in the bearing. Having cleaned out the old grease you can replace it with grease with whatever qualities you fancy; solid lubricants and corrosion inhibitors could be useful in something almost static (as bearings go) and and not brilliantly waterproof.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

that is one reason why a replacement rubber wedge ring is infinitely superior to anything with a gap in it.
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Colin and Brucey, thank you.

Well... Once out of the paraffin, I looked closely at the balls with a 10x botanist's lens. I found many were looking a bit crazed, the races a bit pitted. Whilst I'm sure that such a bearing - which really doesn't do very much - would've lasted several more years, it would always grate on me that something wasn't quite right...

So I nipped down to the bike shop and bought a set of sealed bearings, with all the bits. It's now fitted, awaiting a test ride.

Whilst I was initially concerned at what I was taking on - which may've meant the bike being off the road for a while, I've found this really satifying. I'm really grateful to everyone here for all the help, and their quick responses. I've learnt that the little bolt at the top of the stem does more than keep the cap on, too!

All good stuff, and will help, perhaps, with some sort of breakdown whilst touring in remote parts of the world.