Oldest bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
keyboardmonkey

Re: Oldest bike

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Trigger’s broom? The core of any bike is the frame. The rest are just replaceable components that are fastened to it to make it work.

All that remains of my oldest bike’s original components include the seat pin, brake levers, calipers and downtube shifters. (I can’t remember if I had a shorter stem fitted at the point of sale or later.) Swap those components on to another frame and they’re on a different bike.

1984 Coventry Eagle Touristique (note: the original paint has been replaced, but it’s still the same bike).
1984 Coventry Eagle Touristique (note: the original paint has been replaced, but it’s still the same bike).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This my "Grandfather's Axe" Mercian in the early 1991 with all the original stuff on it.
I still use the Campag Victory DT levers on my Moulton.

Original stuff still on the Mercian are the 'bars and 1R stem, and the Campag Victory seatpost.
I still have the Stronglight 99 double and with a variety of chainrings.

Click for bigger view.
Rowardennan Late 1991.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Here it is again in 1988 when I was touring Tasmania.
Wombats.jpg
Wombats.jpg (83.67 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Mick F. Cornwall
cooper_coleraine

Post by cooper_coleraine »

1984 Raleigh Classic

Cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not got it any more, but before I bought my Mercian frame, I had a Raleigh Clubman.
We were living in Alexandria near Balloch on the southern shore of Loch Lomond.
I rode every working day the 14 miles each way to Clyde Submarine Base .............. no, I wasn't a submariner, but a technician working in the Communication Centre on the cryptography equipment.

Bought the Clubman from Dales Cycles in Glasgow in 1984.
£170 if my memory serves me correctly.

Here I am riding it in Portsmouth New Hampshire in summer 1986.
Clubman.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
maanderx

Post by maanderx »

I haven't bought a fully-assembled bike since 1998. That one was written-off after a car T-boned
me in 2000. Since then, I have bought frames and added my choice of components. My oldest
frame is a titanium one purchased from xacd in about 2006/7.
AKA De Sisti
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Mick F wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 7:17pm Not got it any more, but before I bought my Mercian frame, I had a Raleigh Clubman.
I rode every working day the 14 miles each way to Clyde Submarine Base .............. no, I wasn't a submariner, but a technician working in the Communication Centre on the cryptography equipment.
Through Glen Fruin? If so a lovely though slightly challenging ride for twice a day.
geomannie
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've still got the Aende that I built up as a student in 1979. It's had some new parts since then, but others are original. It's also been resprayed twice. The frame was second-hand, so is older, but I don't know by how much. It gets the odd outing in club 10s.

I've also got a Holdsworth Mistral from 1982/3. That's pretty much original except for the obvious (tyres, toe clips, probably chain and freewheel).

My Rogers trike must be a 70s frame at newest. The wheels were 27" when I got it, but i've rebuilt them as 700C. The transmission was friction gears and 10-speed in old money (i.e. 2*5 not 2*10). However, it's now had a Trykit rebuild, so indexed 2*9.
Attachments
trike-respray.jpg
Mistral_medium.JPG
Aende.jpg
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Mick F wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 7:17pm Not got it any more, but before I bought my Mercian frame, I had a Raleigh Clubman.

Bought the Clubman from Dales Cycles in Glasgow in 1984.
£170 if my memory serves me correctly.

Here I am riding it in Portsmouth New Hampshire in summer 1986.

Clubman.jpg
Must have been a good summer...nice tan.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

circa 1998 giant total compact road which i did a retro mod to 10 speed 105 and a quill stem converter
Attachments
done.jpeg
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."