2014 Cannondale synapse derailleur

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Carl-himod5

2014 Cannondale synapse derailleur

Post by Carl-himod5 »

Hello,
I’m new to the forum and also it’s been a while since i had a bike and I decided to buy a second hand frame and build the bike from scratch.
However my question is I purchased a Shimano Ultegra R8000 rear derailleur.
It appears to have an extra link compared to older derailleurs. It would appear to bolt straight onto the original hanger but should I be removing this addition pivot point or just bolting it straight in.
I believe they call these direct mount?
Advice received gratefully.
Carl
Cyclothesist

Re: 2014 Cannondale synapse derailleur

Post by Cyclothesist »

See this link to work out what you have and need to do:
https://wheelsmfg.com/blog/standard-mou ... ngers.html
If you have a conventional gear hanger (I suspect on a 2014 bike you do) then you need to keep the b link on the derailleur.
HTH and good luck!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Carl-himod5 wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 9:17pm Hello,
I’m new to the forum and also it’s been a while since i had a bike and I decided to buy a second hand frame and build the bike from scratch.
However my question is I purchased a Shimano Ultegra R8000 rear derailleur.
It appears to have an extra link compared to older derailleurs. It would appear to bolt straight onto the original hanger but should I be removing this addition pivot point or just bolting it straight in.
I believe they call these direct mount?
Advice received gratefully.
Carl
shimano make a lot of 'direct mount' RDs these days.
However they usually ship such replacement mechs together with what is known as a 'B-link' bracket. This allows dm mechs to be fitted to older frame designs with a standard mount.

Some new frames will come with a direct mount bracket already on the frame. If the mech has a 'B-link' bracket, this should be removed, because you don't need it.

If in doubt, remember that the rear hub lies just above a standard mount, but a direct mount is set well back from there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cyclothesist

Post by Cyclothesist »

If you follow the link I gave it'll be clear from this picture. Much easier than trying to visualise from Brucey and I's words.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240323-203956-524.png
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW 2014 predates even shimano's use of direct mount in road bikes, so the frame is almost certainly standard mount. I say 'almost' because it is not impossible that someone makes a direct mount gear hanger that fits your frame.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~