Is 250w enough power for modest speed up steep hills

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
CJ

Re: Is 250w enough power for modest speed up steep hills

Post by CJ »

Bonzo Banana wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 11:35am This continuous rating doesn't work, a Bosch mid-drive motor climbing a long hill for 5 minutes just uses it's maximum power for those 5 minutes which could be in the region of 800-900W.
Do you reckon? In that case, taking an average and adding 150W for a healthy but untrained rider in a hurry, we have a round kilowatt.

By my calculation (I have a spreadsheet, populated with data for cycling equipment and verified against rider performances): given a 70kg rider, 22kg of e-bike plus clothing, 0.55m2 frontal area, 1.15 drag coefficient, 0.008 tyre rolling coefficient, 95% transmission efficiency and 1000W... it should be possible to maintain the full permitted speed of 25kmph up most hills and only be slowed when the gradient gets steeper than 1:9.

Is there anyone with a Bosch mid-drive e-bike out there who can do that? Or do less steep hills also slow you down a bit? Do tell us the steepest hill you can ascend at full permitted speed. From that we can work out the truth of how much power these mid-drives actually deliver.

Meanwhile over on Strava we know there's a bit of a fuss about e-bikers taking KOMs from muscle-bikers, without fessing up to using E. But this seems to be mainly in America, where even Class1 e-bikes can do 20mph with up to 750W of 'assistance'. But if there's anyone over here logging segments on an EU-legal e-bike, do tell us on which climbs you beat the best muscle bikers - and by how much.

As I may have mentioned before, we are happy to have a few e-bikers join us on our Matlock CC social rides, one of whom has a high spec Bosch mid-drive. We're a load of old coffin-dodgers so she can beat most of us up the steep hills, but one or two can hold her off if they try. Given our age and distinctly also-ran ability, none of us will have anything like the power of a top pro, on which one can find quite a lot of useful data here. I think I max out at 200W these days, but I guess some of our number may be good for 300W. Putting the data for their bikes into my spreadsheet and comparing likely outcomes, I agree that the e-bike must be giving more than 250W of assistance when Jan puts it on 'Turbo' mode up a hill, but it doesn't look like more than twice that.

For the time being I'll assume that Bonzo Banana is talking about electrical power consumption, which is a whole lot easier to measure, can often be read most conveniently off the handlebar control unit of an e-bike, but isn't the same thing at all. Electric motors are not 100% efficient and only get near it when spinning at just the right speed. So the conveniently indicated power is always more than the actual assistance you're getting, which may be even less than half that. Quite frankly, it makes almost as much sense to measure the power of a human cyclist by counting the calories he eats! And without sight of their methodology, I'd be very surprised if Americans are daft enough to measure the power of e-bikes that way.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CJ

Post by CJ »

UpWrong wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 5:20pm Have to say the controller rating makes sense but I'm not an engineer. Suggestions as to why this wasn't the method used?
Because what matters from a regulatory point of view is the amount of mechanical power delivered, not the electricity consumed in getting it - quite a lot of which is wasted in heat.

Rather like some of the comments on here!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

I was surprised that there is no reference to the UK government's proposed changes to the current e bike regulations in the April/May 2024 issue of 'cycle' or have I missed it?

Cheers
stodd

Post by stodd »

CJ wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 12:35pm Because what matters from a regulatory point of view is the amount of mechanical power delivered, not the electricity consumed in getting it - quite a lot of which is wasted in heat.

I agree with your point, but maybe should be worded: Would would matter if the regulations were sensibly phrased.

A bit of a quibble, but the distinction is the cause for some of the friction and the resulting heat in the argument.
There are similar sillies in many areas, eg where ICE motors are classed by cc.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

UpWrong wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 5:20pm Have to say the controller rating makes sense but I'm not an engineer. Suggestions as to why this wasn't the method used?
Because, like sheep, we follow others and because you need to be aware that salespeople mislead. A motor can be continuously rated at some level to give marketing advantage and in this case underrated. Rate your motor at 250 Watt but know that it can deliver 500 Watt for quite a chunk of time and then make sure that the electrical power is there for it to do so. Result is a 500 Watt motor with a 250 Watt label on it and a happy customer ‘cause he goes fast.

The level of power should always have been set at 250 Watt of electrical power supply to the motor and even with inefficiencies of say up to 20% that’s still a good chunk of power and in the region of what a fit cyclist might turn out. Folk should be glad of the advantage that a bit of electrical assistance gives them and be mindful to keep a large gap between mopeds and cycles.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

23 pages and some hundreds of posts later is the answer yes? Asking for a cyclist :D

ETA
11011 posts has a nice symmetry
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

stodd wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 10:28am
CJ wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 12:35pm Because what matters from a regulatory point of view is the amount of mechanical power delivered, not the electricity consumed in getting it - quite a lot of which is wasted in heat.

I agree with your point, but maybe should be worded: Would would matter if the regulations were sensibly phrased.

A bit of a quibble, but the distinction is the cause for some of the friction and the resulting heat in the argument.
There are similar sillies in many areas, eg where ICE motors are classed by cc.
Interestingly for some classes of motorcycle licence as well as the maximum ICE CC’s the maximum allowable power output is also specified. Note, not what the engine could sustain with more fuel fed to it but the maximum power output it’s allowed (by design and purposeful restriction of fuel) to deliver.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Bonefishblues wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 3:50pm 23 pages and some hundreds of posts later is the answer yes? Asking for a cyclist :D

ETA
The answer is yes; of course the bike’s power train, from motor shaft to driven wheel, needs to be appropriately geared.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Bonefishblues wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 3:50pm 23 pages and some hundreds of posts later is the answer yes? Asking for a cyclist :D

ETA

Recently I added a 250w German 'panzer like' Cube Reaction Pro bike with a Bosch Gen 4 CX 85Nm motor and a 625W battery to the Deliquium stable. It's scarily powerful, in fact I've dialled down the power available. It will get me up the Llanberis Pass without a bead of perspiration being created.

So to my mind YES, 250w is plenty for steep hills.

My other e-bike has a 50Nm Fazua motor - and that too help me climb the Welsh hills, but requires somewhat more effort on my part - but still makes it easy :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

deliquium wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 4:04pm

ETA

Recently I added a 250w German 'panzer like' Cube Reaction Pro bike with a Bosch Gen 4 CX 85Nm motor and a 625W battery to the Deliquium stable. It's scarily powerful, in fact I've dialled down the power available. It will get me up the Llanberis Pass without a bead of perspiration being created.

So to my mind YES, 250w is plenty for steep hills.

My other e-bike has a 50Nm Fazua motor - and that too help me climb the Welsh hills, but requires somewhat more effort on my part - but still makes it easy :)
:lol: There is some illustration of my earlier point here. The Bosch Gen 4 CX can actually push out 600 watts at 70 rpm - which is several times the power that one might expect an ordinary rider to be able to generate - but the motor is rated at 250 watts. Smoke, mirrors and marketing …
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/products ... ce-line-cx
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Carlton green wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 4:04pm

ETA
The answer is yes; of course the bike’s power train, from motor shaft to driven wheel, needs to be appropriately geared.
Thanks. We're looking at a light (relatively) e bike for my wife for shortish (say up to 25-30 miles) rides. Would a 250Wh Battery be sufficient for a light rider over generally flat terrain? I'm keen to keep the bike as wieldy as possible as she will be moving away from a lightweight hybrid.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Bonefishblues wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 3:48pm Thanks. We're looking at a light (relatively) e bike for my wife for shortish (say up to 25-30 miles) rides. Would a 250Wh Battery be sufficient for a light rider over generally flat terrain? I'm keen to keep the bike as wieldy as possible as she will be moving away from a lightweight hybrid.
If she's stilll willing to do quite a bit of the work, yes.

The most likely problem will be if you hit a biggish/steepish hill near the end of the ride. The battery will be low by then, and the voltage sag you will get from drawing extra current might take the voltage low enough the motor cuts. Unfortunately, that is exactly when having some helpful oomph is most important.
Jdsk

Re: Is 250 W enough power for modest speed up steep hills

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 3:48pm ...
We're looking at a light (relatively) e bike for my wife for shortish (say up to 25-30 miles) rides. Would a 250Wh Battery be sufficient for a light rider over generally flat terrain? I'm keen to keep the bike as wieldy as possible as she will be moving away from a lightweight hybrid.
The closest experience that I have to that requirement is the Orbea Gain D40 at "248" W hr... "Yes".

How much do you want to spend?

Jonathan
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Bonefishblues wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 3:48pm
Thanks. We're looking at a light (relatively) e bike for my wife for shortish (say up to 25-30 miles) rides. Would a 250Wh Battery be sufficient for a light rider over generally flat terrain? I'm keen to keep the bike as wieldy as possible as she will be moving away from a lightweight hybrid.
My Boardman HYB 8.9E weighs 15.5kg out of the box, according to the spec sheet. Its 250Wh battery easily does 36 miles on flat terrain - as the e-assist is not needed a lot of the time, due to the bike rolling along nicely on the flat. It's light enough to feel like a normal bike- and the Fazua motor is quiet and the assistance when required feels like a gentle tailwind. I bought a second battery, which doesn't weight that much in the scheme of e-bike things - if I ever wanted to go further.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Thanks all, that's helpful information. I'm looking at previous year models from the bigger brands rather than Chinese direct to consumer brands, and £1000-1200 or so, which should get her Momentum, Cannondale and so on at maybe 18kg +/- I hope.