Custom made handlebars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cycle tramp

Custom made handlebars

Post by cycle tramp »

Custom made handlebars?

Does anyone know of a frame builder which fabricate handlebars to the customers specification?
cyclop

Re: Custom made handlebars

Post by cyclop »

Can I ask what shape you need that isn,t already out there ?If you include U.S.A. the shapes are many and varied.Due to old injuries,I,ve a setup from parts bought off the net.Even adjustable bar ends,mounted inboard of brake levers has been a permanent addition to my road/off road bikes,flat bars of course.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

cyclop wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 10:16am Can I ask what shape you need that isn,t already out there ?

Indeed you may. Something like this (there's more discussion at the end of the article)

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/seth-kruc ... r-and-rig/

I ride in a similar style with my upper arms following the line of my torso.. and reading about this set of 'one off' bars made me think about having a custom set made - 67 degree sweep, some 760mm wide with a 100mm rise...
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

cycle tramp wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 9:49am Custom made handlebars?

Does anyone know of a frame builder which fabricate handlebars to the customers specification?
In 1969 when the film Easy Rider was a thing, we got the local blacksmith to weld up some ape-hanger bars for us. Lets just say that the finish wasn't top quality (as in rubbish) and they were bl**dy awful to ride. They turned heads however, and that was the only thing we cared about.
geomannie
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I believe this bloke might make custom handlebars: https://www.clandestine.cc
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Stainless tube and silver solder?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Gareth Buxton at August Bicycles Norwich may be worth a try.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cycle tramp wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 11:48am
cyclop wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 10:16am Can I ask what shape you need that isn,t already out there ?

Indeed you may. Something like this (there's more discussion at the end of the article)

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/seth-kruc ... r-and-rig/

I ride in a similar style with my upper arms following the line of my torso.. and reading about this set of 'one off' bars made me think about having a custom set made - 67 degree sweep, some 760mm wide with a 100mm rise...
I think that you could get very close by starting with a set of drops, annealing the hooks, then twisting the normally dropped section outwards. These would then be mounted 'paperboy style'.

Also, it is not at all difficult to MIG weld even thin-walled stainless steel tube, so you could make them easily that way if you want.

It is also possible to make exactly what you want by using straight sections of Al and steel tube, plus a set of old handlebars. The idea here would be that the old handlebars are cut down to leave a short straight section that can go into the stem. This would be joined to a fabricated pair of steel 'knuckle' sections, containing all the rise and sweep that you require. Each of the steel 'knuckle' sections would comprise three short lengths of steel tube ~7/8" ID , connected via two 'saddle' welds. Finally two lengths of 7/8" Al tube would be joined to the steel parts. These final pieces would have the grips, gear levers, brake levers etc. attached. In this design, all four of the Al-steel joints would be of the sleeve type, made using epoxy resin. The beauty of this approach is twofold; firstly it isn't difficult in any way because doing the 'saddle' welds in steel is no great challenge for anyone competent. Second, if you change your mind, just use different knuckles; heat will destroy epoxy resin joints, allowing them to be easily separated.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~