Which front pannier rack?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Super.Niki

Which front pannier rack?

Post by Super.Niki »

Hi all

A bit new here so please bear with me if this has been asked before I did try searching..!

I'm looking to buy a fornt pannier rack for my bike as a group of riends and I are planning to do an unsupported+camping LEJOG next year. I've looked at some however they don't seem compatible with my front fork but I've never used themb efore so very much in the dark about different types or anything.

I've got a Raleigh Voyager 2 and the fornt fork has one eyelet at the bottom but none up the fork (as it seems other bikes do to?!) I've added a couple of pictures (I hope it's worked) to illustrate what I mean.

Another one of my gorup also has the same sort of fornt fork and wants to use fornt panniers!

Any advice owuld be greatly appreciated but we are on a budget!

Thanks

Nicole
Attachments
front fork 2
front fork 2
bikefork2_2.jpg (24.05 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
front fork
front fork
bikefork2.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Deckie

Re: Which front pannier rack?

Post by Deckie »

That looks very much to me like a mud guard eye.

You are right to think that there would be two pannier eyes either side, that is exactly what we have on our Dawes Galaxy Twin. Although we have removed the racks as we now use a trailer...
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
travelling

Post by travelling »

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/Rac ... Racks.html

these use the wheel spindle and the brake boss and are generally known to be an excellent make

the low rider keeps the weight low centre of gravity but if you plan to go off road with panniers than perhaps the cold spring is a better rack as it holds the panniers higher or the sherpa which is still higher but is slightly smaller and carries 10lbs less
Attachments
CSpringsFront.gif
CSpringsFront.gif (5.17 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
UltimateLRFront.gif
UltimateLRFront.gif (6.55 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account
julk

Post by julk »

Tubus make a range of well respected front racks most of which can be attached by Tubus clamps at mid fork or brake bosses for forks like yours.

Scroll down this page for the Tubus fork clamps.
Super.Niki

Post by Super.Niki »

Thanks for the advice I'll have a look at them and hopefully find somethign that will work! I don't plan to carry too much on the fornt (I've mostly got all of my gear in the back panniers) but I'd like to be able to balance out the weigh and have a bit of space for extras (like food).

Thanks
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

The Carradice Limpet system should work well. There are more pictures here.
Si

Post by Si »

I'd rather go for P-clips and clamps than limpets - I had some but they were such a pain to get on and off that I gave up on them, plus the bags weren't that big either.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Fair enough. In which case, I'd second julk's suggestion for Tubus - I'm happy with mine.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Somewhere in my workshop I have a set of Tubus fixing for a fork without a boss. I got it to use on an Airnimal but got the fork fitted with rivet-nuts instead. If you are interested let me know and I will sort them out.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Steve

Post by Steve »

It might be easier to get slightly larger rear panniers, or really cut down what you're planning to take - as you're to be part of a group could you share more things between you? A new front rack & panniers will mean not only a lot of effort in preparation but is also an invitation to take more (unnecessary?) gear.... (I speak from personal experience!)
pq

Post by pq »

I'm a big fan of Tubus racks - they are truly excellent. However, they are expensive, and much of what you're paying for is how long they'll last. If you think you'll only use them for one trip, I'd get something cheaper. Tubus is only worth the money if you'll be getting lot of use out of them.
One link to your website is enough. G
pq

Post by pq »

Oh yes, and I'll second the comments above about cutting down on your luggage. I went on a 4 day camping trip with a friend last summer and we only had 3 panniers between us - and we had everything we needed. When I'm camping alone I tend to take fronts and rears, but in company you can share enough stuff that you can manage without the fronts.
One link to your website is enough. G
PH

Post by PH »

Another option is a Nitto front rack, which fixes to the brake mounts and fork crown. These provide a platform to attach stuff to rather than hang panniers. Something smallish but heavy, like the tent, would fit well and balance things up a bit.
http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... 12-600.jpg
Super.Niki

Post by Super.Niki »

Thanks for all of the suggestions they've been really helpful :)

I think I'll wait until we've had a few meetups to decide whether or not to get one. I cna fit most of the gear I want to take with me in my rear panniers (i've got a very old version oaf the Avenier tripple panniers my dad got from Argos years ago, planning to waterproof them then shove gear in in plastic bags!) and may still be able to share some gear out between the group. I'm used to pakcing fairly light (plus a few creature comforts... I am a girlie afterall!!) for camping but not usually for 2 weeks' camping! argh!

Thanks for your help, I'll look into getting them in a few months' time :)

Thanks again

Nicole