Squeaky SPuDs

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
hercule

Squeaky SPuDs

Post by hercule »

I have Shimano SPDs on my 'bents, in fact on all my bikes. On the bents I get a very irritating squeaking whilst pedalling that I can eliminate by rotating my ankle inwards, but it's not the most comfortable way to ride. My theory is that the DFs have the same squeak, but I don't hear it as I'm not sitting directly behind the pedals. The pedals are Shimano m520s, and in all other respects I am entirely happy with them.

Any ideas on how eliminate this? Putting a glob of grease under the cleat doesn't seem the best way... Or should I be looking at some alternative system? I have different shoes for DF and bent riding, so this isn't a particularly impractical solution, cost aside.
squeaker

Re: Squeaky SPuDs

Post by squeaker »

hercule wrote:Any ideas on how eliminate this?
Silicone spray (from a builder's merchant) is what I use for light, non-sticky bike bit lube.
HTH
"42"
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I get the same. I cure it with Teflon bike lube sprayed on the pedals.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Another victim of this curse, I put it down to the movement of my foot on the pedal. When my foot is held still on the pedal at one extreme of teh 'float' the noise vanishes. I've put a small amount of grease on the release mechanism of my pedals and cured the problem.
PW

Post by PW »

Seems to have changed makes, it used to be called "The Look Squeal". Any light aerosol oil, GT85, WD40 etc in moderate quantities will get rid of it. I prefer not to use spray grease 'cos it gets gloppy.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
hercule

Post by hercule »

Thanks for your suggestions - will give them a try!