Velodyssey

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
patpalloon

Velodyssey

Post by patpalloon »

I've noticed that this covers quite a chunk of my route through France (Hendaye - Marans).
Has anyone cycled this? What's it like, surface, accommodation and service en route etc.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
dodger

Re: Velodyssey

Post by dodger »

Went from Roscoff to Bayonne last year and included a fair bit of Velodyssey route.
It varies. From Roscoff it's back roads to Morlaix, then old railway lines and canal path to around Nantes. Generally fine grit, some tarmac. Slowish surfaces but blessedly traffic free. From Nantes I generally used side roads until the last 100 or so miles, which was almost new tarmac paths through the forest. The last bit from Cap Breton to Bayonne was roads and I might have missed signs in the rain, but didn't seem well signed. Plenty of camp sites and B&Bs, but probably best out of the main French holiday from around mid July to end August. The canal paths can get a bit boring after a while and there were a few rough sections following the flooding.
manybikes

Re: Velodyssey

Post by manybikes »

+1. I rode from b
Bay of Arcoshon(not sure of spelling) to Roscoff. Camping in main part of summer. No problems with getting into sites and met very few doing same thing. Some sites on Atlantic coast very very expensive with a minimum charge so chose carefully. Met a guy en route doing hotels and he claimed it to be inexpensive.
I rode a mountain bike which made some surfaces easier but nothing encountered that would cause problems on a tourer.