Giro...What No Mention Of Womens Tour ?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
NATURAL ANKLING

Giro...What No Mention Of Womens Tour ?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The media today were all pumped up about the Giro but the womens tour of britain is'nt even mentioned :?:
I might of missed ANY coverage on BBC news or maybe they never mentioned it at all.
Just like womens world cup qualifying 4 - 0 against Ukraine, imagine the mens scoring that, well they dont always qualify do they.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
nicmarsh

Re: Giro...What No Mention Of Womens Tour ?

Post by nicmarsh »

getting some coverage on BBC sports web page. Laura Trott falling off seems to make it all more "newsworthy" . Not bad TV extended highlights coverage on ITV4. But the giro is a grand tour and is a big deal.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Plenty of coverage on BBC Look East ;-)

But no, not a patch on the amount that the giro is getting. I especially liked BBC breakfast showing a crocodile called Stephen Roche :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pal

Post by pal »

There's been pretty good coverage in the Guardian and Telegraph too: not as much as for the Giro, it's true, but comparable with other men's races (and more than I've ever seen for any women's race, except perhaps the Olympics). The crowds look fairly impressive, too (to judge from the tv). And, even with a flat(-ish) course, the racing's been good -- even if that pesky Marianne Vos will insist on winning everything :D
nicmarsh

Post by nicmarsh »

pal wrote:And, even with a flat(-ish) course, the racing's been good -- even if that pesky Marianne Vos will insist on winning everything :D

She really is in a class of her own.......her achievements have been extraordinary
RickH

Post by RickH »

Highlights of the Women's Tour have been on ITV4 each day & are available for 4 weeks on ITV Player. (The last stage isn't available yet - I presume it will appear after the broadcast repeats.) The Tour did get a mention, as well as the Giro d'Italia in Ireland, in the Sports section of tonight's BBC news too.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I watched the BBC news last night and they said "the Women's Tour was won by Holland's Marianne Vos and Britain's Laura Trott finished 55th overall". No mention of Lucy Garner who was 7th or Hannah Barnes who was 8th. Is Laura Trott the only British woman cyclist that the general public know/wish to know about?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/02/profe ... -the-rise/

And the women...........
http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycli ... ssociation
“We’re always asking, ‘Why are we not treated with the same respect as the men’s peloton? Why are we paid only a quarter of the prize purse?’”
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.