First EVER Tour! (and I'm going RTW)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dean

Re: First EVER Tour! (and I'm going RTW)

Post by Dean »

Best of luck! Although knowing about bikes and how to fix them and how to ride multiple days is useful, no one really knows what happens after a few weeks on the road.

If you decide to ride across Central Asia, I found StanTours really useful for visas (ignore the out-of-date website, they always responded quickly to my e-mails). They sorted my Iranian visa without any hassle, and when I decided not to go to Uzbekistan, they refunded my money with no quibbles. Actually, they refunded it without any prompting - I simply told them that I didn't need the visa any more, and they refunded me without my having to ask.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I am sure I read a book some years ago by a someone who did a similar thing. When asked if they had done any training in preparation they said no as they had the entire circumference of the world to train. They would ride until they felt that they had ridden enough and with experience this would increase throughout the trip. Hope you have a great journey, I'm sure you will experience and learn many things along the way.
Whoof!
Jamesjohnson

Post by Jamesjohnson »

That's what I'm thinking, I'll train as I go. I can start slow and improve over time.

It wont take long if I'm cycling 6+ hours a day.

Also, you can follow my journey on twitter @jamesvsworld by clicking this link https://twitter.com/JamesVsWorld
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Don't forget to drop in here from time to time and let us know how you are getting on. Many, like me, don't have a twitter account and have no wish to, so your link doesn't work.

I can only suggest keep the miles down to begin with, although the problem is your budget constraints suggest going east as fast as possible.

Do research the visa issues. It is possible, for example, to get stuck in India because your visa out was not bought in London before you left. There is mention of this problem on this forum.

I would suggest using http://www.warmshowers.org whenever you can. On your budget they could be life savers.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I've only met a couple of guys who've rode round the world. One of them said something that stuck: "When you ride that far everything's gonna break" Be prepared and good luck. You'll be fine. Pete
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Jamesjohnson

Post by Jamesjohnson »

As you may have gathered from my JamesVsWorld blog post about preparation, I'm pretty bad at being prepared. I'm leaving tomorrow and my room is upside down and covered in stuff.

I was supposed to leave this morning but I'm a big believer that every great adventure starts with a great hangover. Mine was so great yesterday that I didn't manage to do any packing at all and now I'm getting set to leave tomorrow morning. On the plus side it meant my friend could visit me in person to give me his old GoPro which will help me make some interesting videos as I cycle the globe :)

If you haven't already please check out http://jamesvsworld.com/2014/05/09/micturate ... fect-damn/ and follow me on twitter @jamesvsworld
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Here's a short list of emergency repair stuff you may or may not have thought of:

1) Fiberfix spokes. takes a couple to be on the safe side. I've read of mountain bikers doing 150 miles with one of these. This video is way better than the instructions that come with the spoke. I didn't know about the twisting the Kevlar line trick.

2) Zip ties. Little and big

3) Gorilla tape. You can lash up a broken rack with this stuff

4) Sail repair kit from a yachting store. This consists of hefty thread with needles to match and a gizmo that fits on your palm for pushing the needless through canvas. you can fix anything in the fabric line e.g. busted panier with this. I once used mine to sew my son into his nappy when we lost the safety pins. Unfortunately these are ridiculously expensive someone on Ebay may have one cheap. If you have any sailing friends they may have one they can give you. It's the sort of thing they think they need on a boat but never do (like me)

All the above weigh only a few ounces total.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Iran.
Please let us know if you are successful.
I am sure the lone visas have been stopped for Brits.
There may be a few folk doing it but theubwrte granted the visa number before the new rule came in.
Fingers crossed I am wrong but think I am correct.
Matt + who wants to go there.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

Jamesjohnson wrote:Just had a quick ride in the park to try out my new cycling shoes with SPD cleats. Only fell over once which I think is pretty good going :)

...and if you can mend a puncture (you can can't you? :P ) then you wont have any other problems at all. :lol:

I think the quote above should be the opening sentance of your book!

Best of luck!!
tonylopez82

Post by tonylopez82 »

Hey james I have just read tgis thread and thought wow someone else thinking exactly the same as me and needing advice, I have had this thought of a world cycle tour ruminating round my head for years, ive been road cycling for 4 years now and been on a few short local tours round cumbria and a week long tour of the western Highlands to which I can only stress hwow much of a learning curve that was and highly advise trying something like it first! However what is inspiring is that you are sounding like you are set on doing it witn minimal training etc, I would like to know about your budgeting though as 5 quid a day for 400 days works out as 2 grand which sounds very cheap! It would cost me over nearly 200 just to get of this island with train to London n ferry to continent. I would like to follow your progress as this is definitely the way I would like to go (small prob of an ex and a house to sel first). PS could anyone recommend a book of a world tour or something similar written by an average person whoes got fed up with 9-5 and just went? No disrespect to the brilliant books by al humphreys etc but I would love to read of a factory worker or burger fliper doing something amazing and life changing instead of highly educated posh boys who have been given there bikes off companies and are doing it for charity or breaking a record. :)
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Really glad I logged in tonight and read this.

I'm also planning a big tour and will be leaving soon. I have no time limits but don't want to commit myself by telling anyone i'm going RTW in case I don't take to it and come back the next day! Just told others (and myself really) I'll be cycling as far as possible with no real plan.

I've bookmarked your page as I'm interested how your planning approach will go, I really hope it will wok out for you.
I've read countless books/blogs/maps/forums etc. stripped and re-built bike multiple times, have many shopping lists to name a few preparations, I sometimes wish I'd have the courage to take an approach like yours :)

Can I ask, what kind of insurance have you taken out as this is something I am struggling with.

I'll post a picture of my bike on here tomorrow (also a LHT)

Good luck!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I don't have adequate experience to offer advice, but a thought is to build up distance/time slowly. Maybe before you go. I appreciate you are younger so "slowly" might be somewhat faster than for myself (somewhat older). But I've found that cycling does use different muscles and put "pressure" in different places to other activities and whilst initially somebody might be able to achieve a long distance/time, they might not feel so inclined the next day.

Maybe build-up distance/time to a degree before you go.

(Just thoughts, NOT advice).

Anyway, good luck and as others have said "go for it". I know it's daft to base ones life on sayings, but I do regard mentally dealing with failing at something far easier than handling the regret from not having tried (for fear of failing).

Ian
beardy

Post by beardy »

tonylopez82 wrote:Hey james I have just read tgis thread and thought wow someone else thinking exactly the same as me and needing advice, I have had this thought of a world cycle tour ruminating round my head for years, ive been road cycling for 4 years now and been on a few short local tours round cumbria and a week long tour of the western Highlands to which I can only stress hwow much of a learning curve that was and highly advise trying something like it first! However what is inspiring is that you are sounding like you are set on doing it witn minimal training etc, I would like to know about your budgeting though as 5 quid a day for 400 days works out as 2 grand which sounds very cheap! It would cost me over nearly 200 just to get of this island with train to London n ferry to continent.I would like to follow your progress as this is definitely the way I would like to go (small prob of an ex and a house to sel first). PS could anyone recommend a book of a world tour or something similar written by an average person whoes got fed up with 9-5 and just went? No disrespect to the brilliant books by al humphreys etc but I would love to read of a factory worker or burger fliper doing something amazing and life changing instead of highly educated posh boys who have been given there bikes off companies and are doing it for charity or breaking a record. :)

You could do that by bike instead.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I think I agree with most other posters - just go for it!

Every journey starts with a single step, etc, etc, and after all its only a bike, only a bit of road and in the first few countries you go through, many people will speak English.

I also agree with the danger of having the round the world goal as this may become a millstone.

Personally the idea of a RTW never appeals to me as it means cycling a very narrow route, often quickly, through some amazing countries. For example, I know some people who hate India after having cycled across the country as part of a RTW or Oz trip. I also know other people who love India after having spent time exploring it.

If you are set on the RTW, then plan on lots more tours in the future to explore the countries you have passed through.

Go and enjoy.
khain

Post by khain »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Iran.
Please let us know if you are successful.
I am sure the lone visas have been stopped for Brits.
There may be a few folk doing it but theubwrte granted the visa number before the new rule came in.
Fingers crossed I am wrong but think I am correct.
Matt + who wants to go there.

I had a look on the Iran visa info service: http://www.iranvisa.co.uk and on the gov.uk website: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/iran/entry-requirements. It seems lone females aren't allowed but I can't see anything about lone males. The gov.uk website does advise against all but essential travel mind you.