My Surly LHT - almost finished!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ridesurlys

Re: My Surly LHT - almost finished!

Post by ridesurlys »

Just flicked through and panicked. Someone mentioned kickstands. I fitted a esge pletcher twin leg and i crushed the chainstays. Dont do it.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

ridesurlys wrote:Just flicked through and panicked. Someone mentioned kickstands. I fitted a esge pletcher twin leg and i crushed the chainstays. Dont do it.

Thanks, decided against it, I've been managing without one, so I won't take the risk.
ridesurlys

Post by ridesurlys »

I used a rear one and tubus front. Worked well but couldent use the spoke holder
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Welcome to the LHT club.

I got mine 2 years ago and have ridden 4 big longhaul tours, clocked up 15,000kms, including UK local stuff. Love it!

A few small knocks and dings and some of the stupid stickers peeling off (hoorah). It looks more like a true workhorse now.

My main concern with your bike is the vulnerability of the gear (and maybe brake) levers stuck out on the front scaffolding. A tumble or a careless transport baggage handler (plane, bus, boat, train,etc) could wreck a tour. I don't imaging that they would be easily replaceable in more remote destinations.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

simonhill wrote:Welcome to the LHT club.

I got mine 2 years ago and have ridden 4 big longhaul tours, clocked up 15,000kms, including UK local stuff. Love it!

A few small knocks and dings and some of the stupid stickers peeling off (hoorah). It looks more like a true workhorse now.

My main concern with your bike is the vulnerability of the gear (and maybe brake) levers stuck out on the front scaffolding. A tumble or a careless transport baggage handler (plane, bus, boat, train,etc) could wreck a tour. I don't imaging that they would be easily replaceable in more remote destinations.

Glad you're enjoying yours. I think they need a few knocks, when they're pristine you're too precious about them, a couple of dings and you can relax.

Yep, the shifters are definitely prominent but I'm not sure they're any more of a risk than being under on the drop ends? If you imagine a bike falling over or crashing, I think the drop end mounted are at more risk. You've definitely got a point with them being at risk when shipping, I think I'll make some tough covers that'll be zip-tied in place should I ever ship her anywhere. It's a risk worth taking I think, I've just done a 140 mile weekend and it's perfectly comfortable and the shifting is super efficient in that top position.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Off on an adventure?

Have you got another light on the rack? The one on your seatpost is obscured.

The bar bag makes me realise the bars are narrower than I'd thought.

Have fun.