Middle-Aged Men in Lycra flock to Mallorca

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
megilleland

Middle-Aged Men in Lycra flock to Mallorca

Post by megilleland »

On Radio 4 today:

Each year thousands of Middle-Aged Men in Lycra flock to Mallorca for sun, sea and saddles. Described by Sir Bradley Wiggins as a 'Scalextric for cyclists', we find out why the island is such a Mecca for cyclists.

Cycling in the UK is nothing like this. It can be wet, windy and cold and traffic can make riding a bike risky business. But in Mallorca the climate is perfect, the terrain is varied and drivers are considerate. We speak to self-confessed 'Mamils' - Middle-Aged Men In Lycra - about their love for cycling, and visit Mallorca to meet the riders who follow the pedals of their heroes, most notably Sir Bradley Wiggins who has a regular base on the island and trains here to prepare for his epic races.

Ahead of the Tour De France that this year begins in Yorkshire, we trace the emergence of the Mamil; we look at their bikes, their kit, their love of lycra and their motivation and discover why cycling has become the boom sport it has in the UK.

Presented and Produced by Martin Poyntz-Roberts.

Listen again here:
eileithyia

Re: Middle-Aged Men in Lycra flock to Mallorca

Post by eileithyia »

Had to smile really, all sorts of riders have Ben going to Mallorca since the early 80's that I know of, so hardly flocking on the heels of sir brad but possibly t'other way around lol
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

MAMIL has traditionally been a derogatory term. Looks like there's an attempt to reclaim it which is good!
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Let's hear it for the OMILs too.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm middle aged.
I'm 61 going on 62, so being middle aged, I'm going to "die" when I'm 124.

Given Three Score Years and Ten, middle aged must be 35.
Mick F. Cornwall
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

If wikipedia is right and 80yrs is the average age, at 62 I'm too old to be a MAMIL (thankfully). an OMIL then?
Attachments
temp.jpg
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey