Surly Long Haul Trucker or Thorn Sherpa

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
travelling

Surly Long Haul Trucker or Thorn Sherpa

Post by travelling »

I'm in the states at the momment and had thought about buying a thorn sherpa upon my return in december

However at the momment the surly long haul trucker in the states is selling for 630 pounds which makes it look a good buy especially now they do 26 inch wheels on the larger frames

The bike will be used for long distance heavy carrying touring

has anyone had any experience of the long haul trucker
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account
Mattie

Re: Surly Long Haul Trucker or Thorn Sherpa

Post by Mattie »

Hello, no experience myself of either bikes but you may be able to ask Tara and Tyler on their website what they think of their Surly LHTs:

http://www.goingslowly.com/

Some great pictures too.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I would confidently plumb for the LHT at that price whilst you can get it in the US. It seems to have constant praise heaped on it. Go for it!
georgew

Post by georgew »

Having built up a LHT I was impressed with the design of the frame which seemed to me very well designed for heavy touring. This impression was borne out by the owner who thinks it the most comfortable tourer he's ever owned. Again I understand that the wheels supplied are of very good quality and need no upgrading, so at that price quoted it represents a great bargain.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Try posting on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree 'on your bike' branch.

A few people there have SLHTs and I have never heard a bad word said about them.

Can you bring me one home, please.
JT

Post by JT »

I've got an LHT and it's a great frame. My "good" bike is a carbon affair with ultra-light wheels but I still love riding the Surly even though it's heavy. I have only toured twice with it, both times with large (and full) rear panniers and camping gear on the rack, and it handled superbly even when I was honking up hills out of the saddle.
pq

Post by pq »

Both are quite similar. They're well thought out heavy duty touring frames which are rather heavy.

The LHT sounds like its a good buy, but Thorn are much better for fit because they have more sizes.

I doubt you'd be disappointed with either.
One link to your website is enough. G
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Forgot to mention:
Check with your airline if they will charge to bring it home - some are OK, some are not.

Don't forget you are liable to pay import duty on it. You may get away with it but a new(ish) bike off a US flight might well attract the Authorities attention (before someone mentions that they have brought their bike back without question, it is not the same as a beaten up well used bike coming back from other countries - the US is well knowna as a source of cheap bikes (and guitarss and golf clubs, etc)).

I still want one!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

simonhill wrote:
Don't forget you are liable to pay import duty on it. You may get away with it but a new(ish) bike off a US flight might well attract the Authorities attention (before someone mentions that they have brought their bike back without question, it is not the same as a beaten up well used bike coming back from other countries - the US is well knowna as a source of cheap bikes (and guitarss and golf clubs, etc)).

I still want one!

A few years ago I imported a Marin Indian Fire Trail on a flight from New Jersey and I remember the customs guy asking if it was a complete bike or bike parts, because they attracted different import duties. Very obvious coming through customs with a big box with Marin Mountain Bikes written all over it. They even searched me !

I was in transit to Channel Islands so not applicable 'till I got home.

I just googled it to see if it still applies and found this:

http://www.bike-eu.com/facts-figures/eu-regulations/2340/import-duties-on-non-eu-bicycles-updated-for-2009.html
travelling

Post by travelling »

I'm quite fortunate in that when I first come over I brought a bike with me and it's recorded on my flight booking/ticket so taking a bike back will not seem unusual

I also used the airline supplied bike box rather than the manufacturers bike box which cost me 15 quid which I still have

in the scheme of things i think it's not likely I will be stopped and charged extra BUT i will have money on me in case that happens
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account
blazingsaddles

Post by blazingsaddles »

I'm fortunate to own both. If your main prioty is weight carrying capabilities then from my experience I'd say that the Thorn Sherpa is steadier under load. I weigh 105kilos and I've had 25kilos on the back wheel of each using the same rack type (Tubus Cargo) and I'd definately say that the Sherpa is steadier. I've not tried the Sherpa with lowriders but I have tried the LHT and I had a fair bit of fork wobble at low-medium speeds although I did have 15kilos on it which is the max that Tubus recommend, and in fairness probably too much for a steady ride.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I have a Thorn Sherpa and i'm extremely happy with it. The Sherpa frame is better quality to the LHT frame in that it's Cold drawn, double butted and heat treated.
I guess you get what you pay for.
I'm sure the LHT would be sufficient for most touring though. on thing i do like about the LHT is the longer chainstay.
Monsieur

Post by Monsieur »

Can bikes such as LHT be bought over the web from the UK and then delivered to a UK address?
Solvitur ambulando
mike_dowler

Post by mike_dowler »

Does that price include sales tax?
T

Post by T »

Monsieur wrote:Can bikes such as LHT be bought over the web from the UK and then delivered to a UK address?

As far as I'm aware, Surly stopped selling complete bikes via online retailers in 2011. See here: http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/the_way_we_do_things .