Current 2" tyre too wide - what should I get?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bike-Rich

Current 2" tyre too wide - what should I get?

Post by Bike-Rich »

Hi all,

Ok, after returning from a 6 day tour it's clear my 2" XR tryes are too big for my Surly LHT bike (straight bars, rack on back with 2 x20l panniers). Ideally looking for something as robust but thinner, do you think 1.5 would be a good choice?

Thank you,
simonhill

Re: Current 2" tyre too wide - what should I get?

Post by simonhill »

I use Schwalbe Marathon HS 368, sometimes called the original Marathon. They have kevlar and I find them pretty puncture proof. They do a 1.5 & 1.75.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s142p1092

I've used these for years for long haul touring and reckon they are great - now on an LHT.

The one thing that confuses me is that Schwalbe stopped showing these on their website a few years ago, but there seems to be an unlimited stock out there.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

By too big, what do you mean?

I have/had XRs in 2.0 flavour and will be putting them on my Disc Trucker when the current Contis wear out.
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

+1 for the original Schwalbe Marathon hs 368. I got a spare set for my Dawes super galaxy, but haven't needed them yet as my original ones are still going strong after over 3500 miles!
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

I'd probably get regular Marathons in 1.75 (this fits fine on a LHT?) XRs tend to be overkill anyhow, unless you're doing 1000s of miles on bad surfaces.
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Thank you guys :) Marathon hs 368 looks like a good choice.

DaleFTW wrote:By too big, what do you mean?

I have/had XRs in 2.0 flavour and will be putting them on my Disc Trucker when the current Contis wear out.

Too big meaning for the smooth/semi-rough surfaces I mainly do, my current 2.0 are overkill. I love my LHT but it's a hefty bike that I want to 'slim-down' as much as possible as it's a beast in its current form :)
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Also guys, what is the difference with the higher HS numbers on the Marathons? I notice some go into the 400+?

Kind regards,