Bonnet surfing

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Bonnet surfing

Post by reohn2 »

Bob
IMO this scum got off light,very light,bearing in mind that his actions when requested for his details(which are a legal requirement after a collision)were deliberate and wilful which could have caused untold injuries and was only luck that they didn't.
TBH I think the penalty is a disgrace,though I'm not surprised by it in the least :twisted: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:I think the penalty is a disgrace,though I'm not surprised by it in the least :twisted: .

+1
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I think the penalty is a disgrace,though I'm not surprised by it in the least :twisted: .

+1

On the other hand, people have killed and got away with less. So in that respect it's a good outcome.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

kwackers wrote:On the other hand, people have killed and got away with less. So in that respect it's a good outcome.

Yes, but they usually have some excuse, like not being able to see or something. Whereas
[XAP]Bob wrote:I was deliberately run over, from a standing start, whilst standing asking to exchange insurance details.

Shouild have gotten jail time. It would have if the driver had done something more blatant :roll: such as punch him.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:On the other hand, people have killed and got away with less. So in that respect it's a good outcome.

There can be no mitigating circumstances for deliberately running down someone who is asking for insurance details after a collision.
So the perp is guilty,without doubt.
The penalty is extremely lenient for assault with a deadly weapon IMO
A month or two in jail(preferably with hard labour),confiscation of the weapon,12month driving ban with driving retest,anger management course and adequate compensation to the victim would make scumboy think again next time.
W H Auden
karlt

Post by karlt »

reohn2 wrote:

There can be no mitigating circumstances for deliberately running down someone who is asking for insurance details after a collision.
A month or two in jail(preferably with hard labour),confiscation of the weapon,12month driving ban with driving retest,anger management course and adequate compensation to the victim would make scumboy think again next time.

It would be, but the guy wasn't charged with assault, or indeed any offence involving intent, so the lenient penalty is to be expected. Is there an explanation of why the charge was only Careless Driving, Bob, given that there was apparently intent? Lack of evidence?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

karlt wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

It would be, but the guy wasn't charged with assault, or indeed any offence involving intent, so the lenient penalty is to be expected. Is there an explanation of why the charge was only Careless Driving, Bob, given that there was apparently intent? Lack of evidence?

No idea, I was never consulted by the CPS, nor the magistrate.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I agree with many of the above posts, I think it's far too lenient for the offence but at the same time it's good that were was a conviction, given the all too many stories of people getting away with worse.

It's a bit depressing to be happy with it just because it's better than nothing. I think most of the people on here would agree there needs to be more convictions for driving offences and that the penalties should be more severe.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Postboxer wrote:I think most of the people on here would agree there needs to be more convictions for driving offences and that the penalties should be more severe.

For this sort of act, I'm all for bringing back public stoning.
I'm glad the lunatic got something though.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vantage wrote:For this sort of act, I'm all for bringing back public stoning.......

Bricks have sharper corners :D
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I like the way you think reohn2 :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.