Should the BBC be privatised?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
SpannerGeek

Should the BBC be privatised?

Post by SpannerGeek »

Ageing, out of date public funded (often unwillingly) behemoth.

The corporation has rolled from one crisis to another, the Saville whitewash being the latest from which it seems likely they will suffer long term, like the Catholic church before it for its complicity.

The licence fee is a complete anachronism, BBC 2 is the 'whitest' broadcaster in Europe and now they're trying to roll the iPlayer cat back into the fee payment box.

Time to move it on?
pwa

Re: Should the BBC be privatised?

Post by pwa »

Are you looking for another Murdoch to rescue it and put it on the straight and narrow?
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Anyone... Even Murdoch couldn't have ballsed it up this badly.

The licence fee won't last 2 years. I'll not be sorry to see the back of it. Most of my TV is Netflix and live streaming. And mostly everyone I know is of the same modern habits. The BBC is a dinosaur waiting for a meteorite to hit it.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I can understand somebody not wanting to pay a licence fee but I cant understand wanting to remove the BBC. I dont approve of Sky and I dont subscribe to it but it isnt really any of my business if it exists or not, that is for its customers to decide.

The vast parts of the BBC output which doesnt do anything for me, Radio1, Radio3, The Voice etc, I just ignore.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Once the licence fee goes, then what? It's either privatisation now while it's still got value, or drag it out till we have to give it away like the Royal Mail.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

One bit of good news reported by MoneySavingExpert:

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport has confirmed the new requirement to have a TV licence would would only apply to those watching BBC iPlayer on catch-up and wouldn't apply if watching other catch-up services such as ITV Hub and Channel 4's On Demand.

So we can still watch the Tour without a TV licence!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
beardy

Post by beardy »

and wouldn't apply if watching other catch-up services such as ITV Hub and Channel 4's On Demand.

Yet another perverse decision. You will need a licence to watch ITV (which isnt a BBC service) on TV but not on catch up.
Yet the justification for making BBC iPlayer subject to a licence, is that you have to pay for using the BBC's services.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If the BBC is privatised, will I end up paying more for TV or less? I currently pay my licence (£145) and nothing more, and get all the Freeview channels. Seems to me to be cheap. I don't want Sky. I dislike being fed adverts every few minutes. I also think the BBC is what keeps the other TV providers on their toes. Without the BBC standards would fall across the board.

Doesn't the title of this thread sound like something Maggie would have dreamt up?
Last edited by pwa on 2 Mar 2016, 4:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I do hope not, otherwise we will be bombarded with even more advert riven mindless instantly forgettable dross.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

The licence fee in its current form won't survive. Then what?

My Netflix subscription is £72 a year and demonstrably better drama, TV series and documentary than BBC. Their 'Making a Murder' series, filmed over 10 years is staggering in its execution and something the BBC could never have aspired to.

And I can share my subscription with 5 other people, on ANY platform, with NO adverts. The bbc is anachronism piled upon anachronism. Time to punt it, while it's still worth anything at all.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

A prime example of a world without a licence fee supported BBC is available at present.
Try watching the Six Nations Rugby on ITV and then decide which form of TV service finance is preferable!
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Trevor Phillips: BBC2 is Britain’s whitest TV station

http://gu.com/p/4h89a/sbl
jan19

Post by jan19 »

We use Netflix, as we have a smart tv and like to watch films in HD. 90% of what's on there is poorly produced rubbish and to find the good stuff we nearly always need to go online for other sources as the indexing is appalling.

Streaming requires you having good enough IT to cope. We're lucky - said smart tv will do it, and my tablet usually, but many people can't afford a smart tv, nor a powerful enough tablet/laptop. If you try it on substandard IT you just end up being driven mad by buffering.

The argument for privatising the BBC is there to be debated, but as a user of both I don't see either Netfix nor streaming as an alternative for many - particuarly older - people. We use them in addition to, not instead of our use of the BBC.

Jan
pwa

Post by pwa »

SpannerGeek wrote:Trevor Phillips: BBC2 is Britain’s whitest TV station

http://gu.com/p/4h89a/sbl

Did you actually read that, or just the bit you chose to highlight. TP is arguing against privatisation of Channel 4, and i doubt he would see privatisation of BBC2 as an answer to any defects. What he actually said about BBC2 was that black and ethnic minority viewers are not tuning in as much as white British viewers. He's not saying privatisation would improve that.

There are all sorts of possible explanations for black and ethnic minorities not tuning in to BBC2 as much as others. B&EA people are also over-represented in terms of educational and economic deprivation, which may have a bearing on which channels people watch.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think there are actually two issues rather than the "privatise or not".

First we need to establish if the compulsory subscription is to remain. For people who watch TV but don't watch the BBC is seems wrong that they should be paying more than the subscription cost for other channels to the BBC for something they don't want. I see no reason why the BBC should not continue under it's current "ownership" but with a voluntary subscription (i.e. everybody/household can chose to subscribe and watch or not subscribe and not watch).

As to sell-off. I see no reason why it should be sold off. After all, what are you actually selling, where is the value. Most BBC programs are made by production companies who will happily make the same programs for anybody who pays them. All there really is to sell is the back catalogue and a few "ownerships" (like Top Gear).

Although I don't watch the BBC I recognise that some do like it's output and are happy to pay a subscription so no reason why they should be denied - so I'd say maintain ownership but switch to a subscription for viewers. I do wonder if the BBC would have to make dramatic changes to itself where the license fee to become a subscription for those who viewed, but if not enough want to pay for it's output then so be it (no reason why others should subsidise those viewers).

Ian