Lights with re-chargeable batteries that cannot be swapped suck IMO

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DundeeDancer

Lights with re-chargeable batteries that cannot be swapped suck IMO

Post by DundeeDancer »

As part of my Christmas last year my wife bought me a “LEZYNE HECTRO DRIVE 300XL”.

I don’t use my bike much between Christmas and April and then I don’t need lights until October time really.

So I had this new light and never used it much, charge it a few times and used it around the house as a torch but never even had it on my bike.

Anyway started to needs lights a few weeks ago for my commute home and the Lezyne won’t hold a charge. Then found out the internal battery could not be replaced and I found that very frustrating. :x

What’s the point of a bike light with a LCD bulb that should last 30 years being junk as soon as the battery packs in. Seems to be very backward thinking when we need to have goods that people can keep re-using as much as possible to save on the earth’s resources. :roll:

Anyway I went out and bought the Niterider Mako 150 which can handle normal re-chargeable batteries so that should suit me fine for a good few years :D

Not sure what I should do with the Lezyne though apart from bin it.

Hope your lights fair better. DD
meic

Re: Lights with re-chargeable batteries that cannot be swapped suck IMO

Post by meic »

I fully agree with you.

Not sure what I should do with the Lezyne though apart from bin it.

The more curious among us would be tempted to try and take it apart and see what it was like inside, nothing to lose now but your time.
Yma o Hyd
RickH

Post by RickH »

The lezyne should be a warranty replacement after only 10 months.

If you/your wife have the receipt it should be no problem. Other evidence of purchase may be acceptable, depending on where it came from.

From my limited experience (I had a lezyne pump fail after well over a year which was simply replaced by whoever supplies my local shop), it will be sorted easily.

You could always sell on the replacement if you don't want it.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree.
Go back to where you bought it.
Hopefully you'll have a receipt or a bank statement or something to prove it. If no joy there, I'd email Lezyne direct.

I have a pair of Lezyne lights.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezy ... prod122412
I've had them a couple of years. They work perfectly and I'm very pleased with them.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

is really how things are going? -

how many here have mobiles that use screws to hold them together & batteries you cant replace ( Apple for one )? most are held together using GLUE that you have to melt with a hair drier if you want to change the battery your self. Same with tablets. I dont have either, well I do have a simple "feature phone" mobile that does have a replaceable battery, cost me £10 a simple Nokia.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

is really how things are going? -

'fraid so.

As mentioned above, there are those of us that might treat this sort of thing as a challenge.... but it shouldn't be necessary. It is blatant built-in obsolescence.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I agree this is an utter pain and serious demerit with lights with internal batteries that cannot be replaced - if past the warranty, the light is junk - all for a fashionable dislike of external batteries :roll: shown in many a magazine review article.

Because of this, I've ensured that all of my lights either have external lithion ion battery packs which can be replaced:

Lumicycle
Dinotte

Or replaceable rechargeable ( internal) batteries

Philips
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've got two rechargeable lights. The Hope Vision One is brilliant - in more senses than one :D It runs off AAs.

I'm much less keen on the one that runs off a battery pack hung under the top tube. It has developed contact problems, and you're not supposed to be able to get the battery pack apart. I did, and managed a soldered repair, but I got the usual "not a user-serviceable part" story from the makers.

Whenever you buy anything with an integrated battery, you're always setting yourself up to have the maker look pityingly at you, when you want a spare battery a while down the line.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I too dislike lights that are dead as soon as the battery fails. Disposable lights but not at "disposable" prices.
meic

Post by meic »

I see on the Wiggle site it says this light has a two year guarantee, further investigation on Lezyne's site says
In the United States and Great Britain, Lezyne LED Lights carry a two (2) year warranty from the original purchase date to the original owner (proof of purchase is required.) This warranty covers materials and manufacturing defects on the LED light housing, electronics, LED, and the mounting bracket supplied. Lezyne Batteries carry a 6 month warranty against any manufacturing defects. Issues not covered by the warranty include normal wear and tear, improper installation, attempting to access electronics, modifying electronics, damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect.

So that doesnt seem to apply to the bit that is most likely to let you down, the battery.
Unless this is for batteries sold separately, if they do such a thing?
Yma o Hyd
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

the other disadvantage is that if the battery runs flat you can't just swap in a new one.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

F the warranty. This stuff is covered by law and I'm fairly sure a battery that won't hold charge after a few months is unreasonable.

Bigger failure of those lights is that they're not sufficient to be legally lit. Lezyne make no sufficient lights AFAIK.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Simple solution to built in batteries......

.......DON'T BUY THE ITEM IN QUESTION.
The manufacturers will soon get the message and stop making them. :lol:

Find an alternative that has replaceable batteries. 8)
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

DundeeDancer wrote:What’s the point of a bike light with a [LED] bulb that should last 30 years being junk as soon as the battery packs in

It suits the manufacturer very well. Maybe someone got a bonus for the suggestion? Promote something as an improvement e.g. USB charging, but which is really a step backwards.
The biggest issue I find with NiMH and LiPo bike lights in general is that some are thrown in a box and get no use for 5 months of the year. The battery fully self-discharges, and becomes permanently useless. Some of the latest generation hybrid NiMH batteries are much better, but these aren't what most bike lights contain.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You can buy a spare rechargeable battery for the Cateye Volt 300 and a charging cradle for charging it up without the light.

Or buy an Ixon IQ that has user changeable batteries.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com