Why does Trump lie so much?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Why does Trump lie so much?

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 12:30am I think he is a genius.....
Don't you mean "clever megalomaniac"?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

cycle tramp wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 8:20am
Pebble wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 12:30am I think he is a genius, he could have as many as 40% of the US hanging onto his every word, and you could not achieve that by being an idiot.

don't get me wrong here, I'm no fan boy. I would nearly be as happy to see him assassinated as Putin, Under estimate Trump at your peril
But only because he is telling them, what they want to hear. If you look at some of the rhetoric it is rather quite close to the same that Adolf Hilter used...

The the situation that Americans find themselves in is not their fault, that it is the fault of another group of people, whether they are Woke, or government agencies or the u.n. and that the only way America can be great again is if it frees themselves from these groups, by force if necessary. It's the same method played out in a number of papers sometimes on a monthly basis.

Adolf Hilter managed to convince enough people to turn on their neighbours (those of the Jewish faith, as well as Gypsies) contain them, before murdering them. If that style of thinking is 'genius' then it's a remarkably different type of meaning to the one I know.

Perhaps if politicians actually came clean and advised that the situations we find ourselves in, were in part down to our own live choices - we may at least feel empowered to do something about it.
In no part of the definition does it suggest there has to be good. Anyone who can amass the following that he has is exceptional. He is one of the great snake oil salesmen of all time. Heck, folk are even crowd funding this billionaire - how has he got people to do that?

I don't get it at all, Trump first popped onto my radar with the destruction of the SSSI Menie sand dunes for a golf course in Aberdeenshire - so he didn't get off to a good start with me.

as much as I despise him, I wouldn't be putting him in the same group as Hitler.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Check out the new Trump shoes.Its like Trump whiskey.Its just so over the top.I think people would be embarrassed to be seen in them.
Unless your name is Tucker Carlson.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

briansnail wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 1:51pm
Check out the new Trump shoes.Its like Trump whiskey.Its just so over the top.I think people would be embarrassed to be seen in them.
Unless your name is Tucker Carlson.
Trump nutters will buy and believe anything he sells and tells them,as Pebble pointed out he currently doesn't even need sell them a product,other than himself,these loonies just give him money when he asks for it!
From the outside looking in it's plainly and ridiculously stupid.
From inside the cult they are the sane ones when you believe he's been sent by Gaad Almydy.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Cult is the right word, and they never end well.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pebble wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 10:13am
cycle tramp wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 8:20am
Pebble wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 12:30am I think he is a genius, he could have as many as 40% of the US hanging onto his every word, and you could not achieve that by being an idiot.

don't get me wrong here, I'm no fan boy. I would nearly be as happy to see him assassinated as Putin, Under estimate Trump at your peril
But only because he is telling them, what they want to hear. If you look at some of the rhetoric it is rather quite close to the same that Adolf Hilter used...

The the situation that Americans find themselves in is not their fault, that it is the fault of another group of people, whether they are Woke, or government agencies or the u.n. and that the only way America can be great again is if it frees themselves from these groups, by force if necessary. It's the same method played out in a number of papers sometimes on a monthly basis.

Adolf Hilter managed to convince enough people to turn on their neighbours (those of the Jewish faith, as well as Gypsies) contain them, before murdering them. If that style of thinking is 'genius' then it's a remarkably different type of meaning to the one I know.

Perhaps if politicians actually came clean and advised that the situations we find ourselves in, were in part down to our own live choices - we may at least feel empowered to do something about it.
In no part of the definition does it suggest there has to be good. Anyone who can amass the following that he has is exceptional. He is one of the great snake oil salesmen of all time. Heck, folk are even crowd funding this billionaire - how has he got people to do that?

I don't get it at all, Trump first popped onto my radar with the destruction of the SSSI Menie sand dunes for a golf course in Aberdeenshire - so he didn't get off to a good start with me.

as much as I despise him, I wouldn't be putting him in the same group as Hitler.
I think that the Trump brand that used to be so powerful has flipped in many/most people's minds. Sure there are the diehard MAGAs, but as an example, his real estate developments are being sold at significant discount over equivalent developments because of the toxicity of the brand. I believe the house of cards is starting to tumble as we watch. But something built on lies, intimidation, fraud and exploitation was always going to, it was a question of when.

ETA
MAGA are very cross with Fox News (formerly his staunchest supporters, of course) about this:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-presiden ... cmp=tw_fnc

I'm surprised he's so high :D
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

As referenced above, "Former US President Donald Trump has launched his own line of Trump-branded shoes at Sneaker Con - a convention for sneaker fans in Philadelphia.

His appearance was met with loud boos as well as cheers after he presented a pair of the gold-coloured shoes being sold online for $399.

His move comes a day after a judge ordered him to pay nearly $355m (£281m) ...."

So 1.5m pairs will do the trick. There must be at least a couple of million of red-necks who would be proud to wear MAGA shoes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Trump's ex Comms Director (of 11 days) speaking frankly. Worth a listen

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/a ... 0645605839
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Nancy Pelosi has suggested that Vladimir Putin probably has financial leverage over Donald Trump in damning allegations against the former president who failed to condemn the Russian leader following Alexei Navalny’s mysterious death in a Siberian prison.
Independent

Surely not?
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Former FBI informant Alexander Smirnov who 'lied' about an alleged Biden family 'bribery scheme' with Ukrainians had 'high-level contacts with Russian intelligence operatives,' according to prosecutors.
What surely not more lies from the Trump Republican party.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Bonefishblues wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 7:55am Trump's ex Comms Director (of 11 days) speaking frankly. Worth a listen

Even better on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juvfEZsZqUY, you may not like Anthony Scaramucchi (and to honest there's not much to like) but his analysis of Donald Trump is impressive. Well worth a watch.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Stradageek wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 12:31pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 7:55am Trump's ex Comms Director (of 11 days) speaking frankly. Worth a listen

Even better on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juvfEZsZqUY, you may not like Anthony Scaramucchi (and to honest there's not much to like) but his analysis of Donald Trump is impressive. Well worth a watch.
The Rest is Politics is just superb. I eagerly look forward to the podcasts and I'm presently listening to one now.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The News Agents is also excellent. Maitlis, Sopell and increasingly Goodall provide some outstanding analysis and have an interesting style. Spades are very much spades :D
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Bonefishblues wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 7:32pm The News Agents is also excellent. Maitlis, Sopell and increasingly Goodall provide some outstanding analysis and have an interesting style. Spades are very much spades :D
Agreed. Both the New Agents and TRIP are amongst my staples whilst at work. I don't miss any episodes.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 8:44pm
Trump wasn't "cleared, by a court, of rape allegations". E. Jean Carroll v. Donald J. Trump wasn't a criminal case and he wasn't charged with rape. It was a civil action for defamation (followed by one for battery).

Again, the jury said he didn’t rape anyone, applying the relevant legal definition used in that jurisdiction. Even the frequently dementedly left wing guardian accepted that amounted to them ‘clearing’ him of rape allegation https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... al-verdict

As for the judge claiming otherwise and attempting to apply their own definition, I say that, like so many other TDS sufferers, anyone attempting to pervert language to fit their world view deserves the same fate as Humpty Dumpty in Alice in Wonderland

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’