Escooter trial to start

Jdsk

Re: Escooter trial to start

Post by Jdsk »

Grandad wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 9:19am Have the earlier e-bike trials finished? If so,what were the results?
Do you mean the trials of hired eScooters?

Thanks

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 9:24am
Grandad wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 9:19am Have the earlier e-bike trials finished? If so,what were the results?
Do you mean the trials of hired eScooters?

Thanks

Jonathan
In Nottingham e-scooter trial continues. The e-bike hire operator recently collapsed but a replacement is promised in a few months (I think).
Nottingham not an ideal environment - the City boundary does not include some of the more likely take up areas. E.g. I am <4 miles from City centre with some reasonable cycle infrastructure but am not in the City Council area. In particular, an affluent suburb <3 miles from City is south of the Trent and thus a different Local Authority.
I'd say most users of the scooters and bikes are students.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The only trial I know of here in Bristol is the one where they see how many Tier bikes they can heave into the river Frome... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 10:24am The only trial I know of here in Bristol is the one where they see how many Tier bikes they can heave into the river Frome... :wink:
The answer to which seems to be not as many as the Voi scooters, which in turn was not as many as the Yo bikes. Though it could just be that the Tiers, being a greeny-bluey colour, are not as easy to see under the water as the pink Vois and yellow Yos.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The way it’s going in Milton Keynes, my instinct is that the providers of both e-bikes and e-scooters must be finding it quite hard to make a profit. Both are fairly popular, but I can’t see that they are popular enough to cover costs, the % of “not put on hire” time seems very high.

In terms of the practicalities, the only downside continues to be abandonment of the dock-less ones, frequently in potentially dangerous ways, and nearly always in thoughtless ways, at the end of trips, and how long the companies take to recover them. E-scooters left on shared-use paths are a particular PITA, because they fall over (or get pushed over) and end up lying right across the paths as potential traps. The bikes mostly stay upright, and at least are more visible, being bigger.

Personally, I still think that personal e-scooters, provided they are no more powerful/fast than the hire ones, work better, because they don’t get left lying all over the place. Others seem to agree, because I see a fair number of them in use!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The hire bikes seem not to get left in such stupid, and dangerous, places as the hire scooters; perhaps because their larger size makes users think about the parking a bit more?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The e-scooter trials are still ongoing because the Govt don't want to make a decision and instead keep extending the trial.period.

Some trials have ceased, eg Canterbury because the good burghers of that city didn't want the hoi polloi to have have cheap clean transport. " Let them walk like we did".

E- bikes are legal and the schemes to rent them out are down to local councils and commercial considerations.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There is now a road legal e-scooter available in the UK. This could muddy the waters a bit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanneshur ... e-scooter/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 2:27pm There is now a road legal e-scooter available in the UK. This could muddy the waters a bit.

Thanks for that.

L1e-B:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... cation.pdf

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

^ I assume my licence covers it. Wonder what the insurance cost will be? But do I have the bottle.....
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

^ too old to test my nerve - "The insurance is only available to riders aged 21 and 70 years old." (I assume means from 21 to 70!)
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

simonhill wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 2:27pm There is now a road legal e-scooter available in the UK. This could muddy the waters a bit.

Perhaps- however the price alone should limit its appeal - the potential hazard is that its users will attempt to use it on cycle paths and pavements, where it's moped speeds is likely to cause conflict.

Interesting to read about the battery technology, tho'
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

In common use where I live and in the main, scooters (personal and hire), cycles, cars and pedestrians seem to co-exist reasonably safely and peacefully.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Airsporter1st wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 10:59am In common use where I live and in the main, scooters (personal and hire), cycles, cars and pedestrians seem to co-exist reasonably safely and peacefully.
Where is this Utopia?!
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

djnotts wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 12:08pm
Airsporter1st wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 10:59am In common use where I live and in the main, scooters (personal and hire), cycles, cars and pedestrians seem to co-exist reasonably safely and peacefully.
Where is this Utopia?!
Spain!