What can i do as an individual?

grufty

What can i do as an individual?

Post by grufty »

I listened to Chris Boardman on R4 this morning. As usual his point of view was well worth listening to, i.e. challenging people to change transport modes if it's fun and safe.

This made me think of the perception that a lot of people may have about POBs. Where I live, one mostly sees people on bikes dressed in contemporary kit, i.e. lycra, helmet, and often in fairly big groups. Now I understand that the kit is for comfort and efficiency, but I guess not many people in cars are going to say "I want to be that person". My point is, do we have a sort of joint responsibility to show that cycling is not just a sport, but also a valid means of everyday transport. Personally I have never used specific cycling apparel in over 50 years riding, I prefer to dress in normal clothing and will often pick up a load of shopping at the end of a ride. I'm also old enough to remember the feeling of independence on being able to ride my bike alone in a city aged 9 years, not an uncommon thing for my peers at that time. Why do we now deny our children that same feeling of freedom? As an aside, I have observed that most women and children cyclists in my locality often feature a broad grin, most men appear to be gurning, presumably to beat some Strava segment.

I post this in good faith, hoping to initiate a discussion on how we as individuals can help to further the take-up of active travel solutions. 
thirdcrank

Re: What can i do as an individual?

Post by thirdcrank »

grufty wrote:I ... My point is, do we have a sort of joint responsibility to show that cycling is not just a sport, but also a valid means of everyday transport. (?). (Question mark provided.

No. (In my opinion.)

The implication that a lot of existing cyclists should wear different togs in the hope that it may encourage some non-cyclists to start seems ill-founded to me.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

When I switched from fellwalking to cycling I used lycra shorts, but carried on using a lot of fellwalking kit until it wore out. Now I use Bikesters and a hi viz jacket, but I've always carried on using ordinary T-shirts and fleece jumpers rather than cycling shirts. I wouldn't want to go back to using cycle clips, they're a PITA.

I've noticed that when I wear lycra, cyclists in lycra acknowledge me, but not those in civvies. When I wear civvies it's the other way around.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
whoof

Post by whoof »

grufty wrote: My point is, do we have a sort of joint responsibility to show that cycling is not just a sport,  

Just looked up a definition of 'sport'
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
As such the number of people cycling and taking part in sport must be tiny and it's therefore pretty evident that cycling is not just a sport. People can wear what these please when cycling and should not feel under pressure to conform to someone else's perception of what the correct apparel is.
whoof

Post by whoof »

grufty wrote: My point is, do we have a sort of joint responsibility to show that cycling is not just a sport,  

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
As such the number of people cycling and taking part in sport must be tiny and it's therefore pretty evident that cycling is not just a sport. People can wear what they please when cycling and should not feel under pressure to conform to someone else's perception of what the correct apparel is.
PH

Post by PH »

whoof wrote:

As such the number of people cycling and taking part in sport must be tiny and it's therefore pretty evident that cycling is not just a sport. People can wear what they please when cycling and should not feel under pressure to conform to someone else's perception of what the correct apparel is.

Here's another definition:
"Sport means all forms of physical activity, which through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels"
That's the one from the Council of Europe charter on sport and is used by Sport England to determine if an activity is a sport or not.
I thought it was well understood that competition was only a small part of sports and that the wider meaning is what was clearly meant in the opening post.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

grufty wrote:I listened to Chris Boardman on R4 this morning. As usual his point of view was well worth listening to, i.e. challenging people to change transport modes if it's fun and safe.

This made me think of the perception that a lot of people may have about POBs. Where I live, one mostly sees people on bikes dressed in contemporary kit, i.e. lycra, helmet, and often in fairly big groups. Now I understand that the kit is for comfort and efficiency, but I guess not many people in cars are going to say "I want to be that person".

Tomorrow morning I'll be cycling into town - I'll have some magazines to drop off at my brother's as I travel through the next village, stop off at the recycling place stop and pick up some groceries - which I can't get at the village shops, drop some wild flower seeds into the gravel when I park up and cycle home again... I'll be wearing cords, woollen jumper and flannel shirt. I don't really think anyone who drives past me is going to want to join me...
..its hard to explain to a non-cyclist but cycling gives you so much more experience than driving a car, leaves you open to the surprises and the deeper feelings and the sense of space. Cycling is like a magic door to Narina. People don't believe it until they try it... getting them to try it is the hard bit. Getting them to stay with it while they build their fitness and bike handling skills is even harder...
whoof

Post by whoof »

PH wrote:
whoof wrote:

Here's another definition:
"Sport means all forms of physical activity, which through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels"
That's the one from the Council of Europe charter on sport and is used by Sport England to determine if an activity is a sport or not.
I thought it was well understood that competition was only a small part of sports and that the wider meaning is what was clearly meant in the opening post.

For many gardening would be a sport using that.
PH

Post by PH »

whoof wrote:For many gardening would be a sport using that.

Ask Sport England, they're the ones using it as a definition.
I'd say probably not, as it has a purpose beyond the physical activity. It's that idea of purpose, rather than competition, which separates sport and utility cycling.
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

grufty wrote:I listened to Chris Boardman on R4 this morning. As usual his point of view was well worth listening to, i.e. challenging people to change transport modes if it's fun and safe.

I missed this when broadcast so I found the recording on the BBC website. Radio 4 Today programme 13 Nov 2020, Interview starts at about 52 minutes in i.e. 6:52 am. This link will only work inside the UK though. Only available for 29 days.
whoof

Post by whoof »

PH wrote:
whoof wrote:For many gardening would be a sport using that.

Ask Sport England, they're the ones using it as a definition.
I'd say probably not, as it has a purpose beyond the physical activity. It's that idea of purpose, rather than competition, which separates sport and utility cycling.

There's nothing in the definition you quoted about purpose.

Edit. Just looked at Sports England and in 2005 they recognised darts as a sport. This requires about as much physical effort as making a cup of tea but it is competitive, perhaps you could ask them why they did this.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I understand "safe" and "fun". Our children and now our grandchildren love cycling, and often cycle to work and school. I encourage others to join us, especially for an annual event, and fix their bikes to remove excuses. I smile and wave and chat to other HPV users. And sometimes ask where they're from!

But I don't understand the discussion about clothes... please can someone explain.

Thanks

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

whoof wrote:
PH wrote:There's nothing in the definition you quoted about purpose.

It says quite clearly what the "aim" is. Is that not another way of expressing the purpose?
Don't bother - you seem to make a sport of selective reading.
whoof

Post by whoof »

PH wrote:
whoof wrote:
PH wrote:There's nothing in the definition you quoted about purpose.

It says quite clearly what the "aim" is. Is that not another way of expressing the purpose?
Don't bother - you seem to make a sport of selective reading.

Darts, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness????
You're right there's no point in bothering, you don't even read what you have written.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Jdsk wrote:But I don't understand the discussion about clothes... please can someone explain.
Type 'cyclist' into your search engine, look at the photos - that's not what I wear when I cycle: maybe you do? (I would if I was 'competing'.)
"42"