Atrial Fibrillation...Should We Worry

Jdsk

Re: Atrial Fibrillation...Should We Worry

Post by Jdsk »

Slowroad wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 8:53pm ...
I've been a little confused about the information about afib. I've got (or have had?) paroxysmal afib diagnosed when I had palpitations a couple of years ago in a stressful family time. Nothing like this since, just the occasional bumpity-bump feeling. But then I read that many people have afib with no symptoms... Been trying to find info online but it is either very basic or very scientific!
I'll try and help with finding some useful information. But are you currently receiving medical care?

Thanks

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I've been a little confused about the information about afib
There are many personal devices you can use to see if you are in AFIB without a full ECG. Not as accurate of course but can be done anytime whenever required.

I use two.

The first is the Fitbit Charge 5. I have no doubt other smart watches have a similar function and the second is the Kardiamobile which is a bit more expensive but perhaps a bit more accurate.

Either will give you an indication and can be used on a regular basis as a guide. They are not a replacement for proper medical assessment.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

brianleach wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 11:28am
I've been a little confused about the information about afib
There are many personal devices you can use to see if you are in AFIB without a full ECG. Not as accurate of course but can be done anytime whenever required.

I use two.

The first is the Fitbit Charge 5. I have no doubt other smart watches have a similar function and the second is the Kardiamobile which is a bit more expensive but perhaps a bit more accurate.

Either will give you an indication and can be used on a regular basis as a guide. They are not a replacement for proper medical assessment.
Alternatively the Withings range of watches have a proactive vibration alert if/when they detect afib on a routine monitoring.

Another plug for the Kardia device - A&E are very happy to use those readings & interpret them.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 11:35am... A&E are very happy to use those readings & interpret them.
I'n currently working on the responsibilities of practitioners when patients produce reports from devices that they've bought themselves. It isn't simple. And AF is one of the most common examples.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Appologies if it's been mentioned/posted earlier in the thread but an interesting BBC More or Less Podcast from 11 Dec 2023 about heart issues (AF) and endurance sport. Only 9 mins. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct5b7d

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 11:40am
Bonefishblues wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 11:35am... A&E are very happy to use those readings & interpret them.
I'n currently working on the responsibilities of practitioners when patients produce reports from devices that they've bought themselves. It isn't simple. And AF is one of the most common examples.

Jonathan
I was in the JR A&E with this and of course my heart simply behaved immediately they wired me up so I was sent to sit down, whereupon it immediately came back and I could capture several readings with my Kardia & email them across to the Reg/Consultant.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jonathan
There are even ads on TV for devices available through Amazon (and probably elsewhere) to check for heart issues like AF. One I remember/am thinking of is KardiaMobile Personal EKG (ECG) Device and Heart Monitor - Single-Lead EKG Recording - Detect AFib - FDA-Cleared https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A4W8AUK/

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 2:06pm

Jonathan
I was in the JR A&E with this and of course my heart simply behaved immediately they wired me up so I was sent to sit down, whereupon it immediately came back and I could capture several readings with my Kardia & email them across to the Reg/Consultant.
When I'm going through a bad arrhythmia time (ectopic beats - self-diagnosis) I find lying on my left side makes it a lot worse (more frequent). But I don't have any measuring devices, just feel bad ones in chest and feel pulse is an easy detection.

Ian
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Slowroad wrote: ↑10 Dec 2023, 8:53pm
I've been a little confused about the information about afib. I've got (or have had?) paroxysmal afib diagnosed when I had palpitations a couple of years ago in a stressful family time. Nothing like this since, just the occasional bumpity-bump feeling. But then I read that many people have afib with no symptoms... Been trying to find info online but it is either very basic or very scientific!

I'll try and help with finding some useful information. But are you currently receiving medical care?

Thanks

Jonathan
Yes, went to my GP with palpitations two years ago and got an ECG done there, which they found confusing, sent it to a cardiologist at the hospital who said it was afib. No treatment as I'm too young, not overweight, non-smoker, good blood pressure, ok cholesterol! Havn't had the really bad palpitations since then, just the odd very brief ones. I was proactive in getting a cholesterol check as it's one of the few things I seem to be able to do something about. I actually first went to a doctor about odd heartbeats 15 years ago, the ECG didn't catch any so they just tols me to cut down on caffeine...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Slowroad wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 6:18pm
Slowroad wrote: ↑10 Dec 2023, 8:53pm

Yes, went to my GP with palpitations two years ago and got an ECG done there, which they found confusing, sent it to a cardiologist at the hospital who said it was afib. No treatment as I'm too young, not overweight, non-smoker, good blood pressure, ok cholesterol! Havn't had the really bad palpitations since then, just the odd very brief ones. I was proactive in getting a cholesterol check as it's one of the few things I seem to be able to do something about. I actually first went to a doctor about odd heartbeats 15 years ago, the ECG didn't catch any so they just tols me to cut down on caffeine...
Thanks.

NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/atrial-fibrillation/

NICE guidance:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng196

That guidance includes the recommended work-up and the current risk calculator. And links to the evidence.

You know about caffeine as a possible trigger and I'd add alcohol to that.

You're obviously at the less severe end and you've already thought about other aspects of cardiovascular health: what questions would you like the next tranche of advice to address?

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 11:40am I'n currently working on the responsibilities of practitioners when patients produce reports from devices that they've bought themselves. It isn't simple. And AF is one of the most common examples.

Jonathan
Thinking about this further, very difficult issue where symptoms vary. My arrhythmia only happens when my other issue has a flare-up - on a several month cycle, month or two OK'ish then flare-up where arrhythmia starts maybe a week or two into the flare-up and most things back to "normal" level (for me) a couple of weeks later ... for a month or two ...

NHS consultant has asked GP to investigate but took GP several weeks to get round to it by which time nothing for GP to detect.

If I was so inclined I could buy one of those machines, save the output when in a "bad time" and present to GP. I'm not so inclined as, as things stand I consider getting on with life, focus on doing stuff, etc. is belter for me than getting wrapped-up in medics, focusing on poor health, etc. Basically, for me in my situation, do the best I can with constraints I seem to have.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 3:59pm

Jonathan
There are even ads on TV for devices available through Amazon (and probably elsewhere) to check for heart issues like AF. One I remember/am thinking of is KardiaMobile Personal EKG (ECG) Device and Heart Monitor - Single-Lead EKG Recording - Detect AFib - FDA-Cleared https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A4W8AUK/

Ian
That's the badger.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 4:09pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 2:06pm

Jonathan
When I'm going through a bad arrhythmia time (ectopic beats - self-diagnosis) I find lying on my left side makes it a lot worse (more frequent). But I don't have any measuring devices, just feel bad ones in chest and feel pulse is an easy detection.

Ian
It may be that it's just that you can feel it more - that's the position that a Prof who was examining me had me adopt, plus draw my knees up. It places the heart closest to the breastbone IIRC.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Another high profile sufferer it would seem, one P Sagan.

Not sure describing an ablation (I think) as a pit stop for the heart is very helpful. As this is the second I do feel his chances of making the MTB Olympics must be rather slim.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

brianleach wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 3:26pm Another high profile sufferer it would seem, one P Sagan.

Not sure describing an ablation (I think) as a pit stop for the heart is very helpful. As this is the second I do feel his chances of making the MTB Olympics must be rather slim.
Has there been announcement that he had AF? I've only seen it described as abnormal tachycardia.

Jonathan