Queen Victoria Postboxes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AndyK

Re: Queen Victoria Postboxes

Post by AndyK »

Mick F wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 8:50am The new boxes - round here at least have the queen's crown and ER on the sticker on the front above the slot.
Simple to remove and fit a king's one perhaps.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51707 ... 384!8i8192

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52359 ... 384!8i8192
I was pondering that as I cycled along the other day. I doubt they'll remove those panels from existing boxes - it's not as if they've ever covered over previous monarchs' initials on older boxes. I think it's more likely that they order new postboxes in large batches to get economies of scale and didn't want to be left with a warehouse half-full of EIIR boxes they couldn't use. Much cheaper just to order a batch of postboxes with no initials on, order the metal panels separately and stick them on as the boxes leave the warehouse. That way all they have to do now is order new CIIIR panels, not entire new postboxes. Sensible, but the metal panels just don't look as good.

Back on topic, here's an abandoned roadside VR postbox I found a few miles from Ledbury last week. A bit strange that the collection notice was never removed - it feels as if the postman just stopped visiting.
IMG_20220913_102928 (Small).jpg
IMG_20220913_102949 (Small).jpg
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

A few days ago, I bought a second-hand book titled "Odd and Unusual England", by John Bland. On looking through it, I noticed that one of the photos in the book is of a Victorian post box, the oldest in England, from around 1854. It's located at Barnes Cross, in Dorset.

I remembered that I went on a cycling holiday nearby in 2000, and the photo from the book triggered a memory of that post box.

Here's a copy of the photo I took at that time, together with the black and white one from the book.
Attachments
20221009_170123_copy_521x1156.jpg
20221009_195629_copy_521x1156.jpg
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Its condition certainly seems to have improved between 1974 and 2000.
Invicta Tourist

Bmblbzzz wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 9:43am Its condition certainly seems to have improved between 1974 and 2000.

:)
Richard of York

Post by Richard of York »

I've been box spotting for a while now. Once you "get your eye in" it's surprising how many VR, GR and GviR boxes there are still. 3 from jaunts this year, a sad disused VR next to it's modern replacement north of Malton. One that I'm pretty sure sure is VR but so corroded and repainted that it's almost impossible to tell. Thoughts? A "live" one from Boroughbridge.
Attachments
IMG_20220611_100015287.jpg
IMG_20220626_114554169_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220618_111627290.jpg
Richard of York

Some VR boxes are better loved than others. This one from Hawnby north of White Horse Bank. I'm not keen on this fad for adding knitware to pillar boxes as per this George V one at Kirkby Misperton.
Attachments
IMG_20220831_130624467.jpg
IMG_20220611_101714271.jpg
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Richard of York wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 9:14pm I've been box spotting for a while now. Once you "get your eye in" it's surprising how many VR, GR and GviR boxes there are still. 3 from jaunts this year, a sad disused VR next to it's modern replacement north of Malton. One that I'm pretty sure sure is VR but so corroded and repainted that it's almost impossible to tell. Thoughts? A "live" one from Boroughbridge.
I'd agree that second photo is of a VR box. The shape, size and lack of decoration are consistent with others, along with what appears to be the remnant of "VR" at the top.
Richard of York

Interesting that many but not all have a manufacturer name in the moulding bellow the door. These two have W T Allen and Co London. One is early QEii the other George V. Pretty long term contract. I'm sure there are other names I've seen though.
Attachments
IMG_20220709_081022903.jpg
IMG_20220709_062242043.jpg
Richard of York

Reference below to W T Allen, Wiki mentions others. I have seen one with Carron, a Scottish foundry on it but can't find the photo just now.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/W._T._Allen_and_Co
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Richard of York wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 9:14pm I've been box spotting for a while now. Once you "get your eye in" it's surprising how many VR, GR and GviR boxes there are still. 3 from jaunts this year, a sad disused VR next to it's modern replacement north of Malton. One that I'm pretty sure sure is VR but so corroded and repainted that it's almost impossible to tell. Thoughts? A "live" one from Boroughbridge.
Just cropped your excellent photo.
The new one on the right illustrates my point very well indeed.

Notice the Royal Mail is pop-riveted on, but the EIIR is a sticker.
Easily removed and replaced by CIIIR.
Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 15.39.07.png
Mick F. Cornwall
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Mick F wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 3:42pm

Royal Mail Will Not Replace The Labels On Existing EIIR Postboxes. They never have before and they're not going to start now.
Will the cypher on post boxes be changed to reflect the new monarch?
In line with past practice, following the death of a monarch all existing post boxes will remain unchanged. Postboxes already in production or being prepared for installation, will also retain the insignia of Queen Elizabeth II.
https://www.royalmail.com/sending/quest ... -postboxes
I still think the obvious reason for the separate panels is that they had a huge batch of postboxes made and weren't sure how long the queen would last, so they had them all made with neither monarch's cypher on and added the correct panel whenever a new postbox was required from stock. Logical and economical, if not exactly pretty.
awavey

Post by awavey »

AndyK wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 11:58pm
Mick F wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 3:42pm

Royal Mail Will Not Replace The Labels On Existing EIIR Postboxes. They never have before and they're not going to start now.
Will the cypher on post boxes be changed to reflect the new monarch?
In line with past practice, following the death of a monarch all existing post boxes will remain unchanged. Postboxes already in production or being prepared for installation, will also retain the insignia of Queen Elizabeth II.
https://www.royalmail.com/sending/quest ... -postboxes
I still think the obvious reason for the separate panels is that they had a huge batch of postboxes made and weren't sure how long the queen would last, so they had them all made with neither monarch's cypher on and added the correct panel whenever a new postbox was required from stock. Logical and economical, if not exactly pretty.
that has the look and feel of something done in the 80s though, when maybe the post office werent as much about maintaining such traditions.

I dont know how often postboxes get replaced or appear as new housing gets built, certainly people steal them for various reasons, and cars inevitably drive into them, so theres a replacement programme even for the beyond repair & faulty ones, but I doubt they bulk order so many at a time as to have feared being left with a large surplus, that given how popular the last 50p's are proving they could quite easily have sold to the public collectors anyway.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Well there are new issues of stamps coming out with the old queen's head on, so they're not that keen on redesigning.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 9:39am Well there are new issues of stamps coming out with the old queen's head on, so they're not that keen on redesigning.
Stuff that's already been designed, & probably manufactured, such as stamps & coins (see BBC 100th anniversary 50p coin - BBC News link) will generally go ahead with Elizabeth's head/cipher.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Invicta Tourist

I cycled over to Cranbrook in Kent recently and visited the interesting museum there. In one of the rooms, I saw an old Victorian post box which was originally sited at nearby Sissinghurst. The Post Office sign was on the ceiling of one of the rooms.

The VR script at the top of the post box is different from some of the others. A different manufacturer?
Attachments
20221014_150129_copy_521x1156.jpg
20221014_150121_copy_1156x521.jpg