Pinhead

Re: Default 20mph for Wales

Post by Pinhead »

Pedestrians are happy with the 20 limit, and as an older cyclist so am I
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Pedestrians are happy with the 20 limit, and as an older cyclist so am I but at 20mph I am still overtaken ;)
AUTISTIC and proud
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Pebble wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 9:10am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 8:56am
Pebble wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 7:42am

complex statistics are often very easy to manipulate to show whatever you want them to show - whats that famous saying? Lies, damned lies, and statistics

Out of curiosity where doubt live, do you live in the borders? a bit wet this morning!
Cheshire for me, started raining about 30 seconds after my ride to work today :-)
cycling would be an exercise in waterboarding here at the moment - there will be no bike today or tomorrow if forecast is correct. And i'm not in the RED warning area
I cycle commute all winter regardless. But I wouldn't go out for fun, or if I were in a red warning area.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 5:18pm ...
What I/we are most interested to understand is OCC's view of the effectiveness of the 20 limit as measured, when compared to 2022's control survey. On the face of it, improvements are minimal - but OCC does not seem to routinely measure the effectiveness of its initiatives, and refused to fund this survey, which we funded ourselves.
That's my biggest concern about all of these interventions, including all-Wales. Evaluation should be built into them from the start, with transparent methods and results, and preferably run independently.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pebble wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 7:42am complex statistics are often very easy to manipulate to show whatever you want them to show - whats that famous saying? Lies, damned lies, and statistics
Figures can't lie, but liars can figure.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jdsk

Re: 20 MPH Wales latest info

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for posting.

Can anyone find the new report?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Correspondence between the Office for Statistics Regulation and the Welsh Government on how to describe the effects of the new limits:
https://osr.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/ ... eed-limit/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67514763

Jonathan
toontra

Post by toontra »

Quote of the day from the BBC link:
"It's absolutely ridiculous, I've seen push bikes go faster," said one man in Tonypandy.
Sounds good to me 8)
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

I was doing 15mph when yesterday a prat on a country lane had a yappy dog on a 30' lead, him one side dog the other, I shouted "coming along" (I didn't want to scare the dog"

He swore and said "It is 20 through here"

I have seen lycra good cyclists do 30mph, I am 66 and slow

I think some people just don't like cyclists
AUTISTIC and proud
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

What happened to the dog & the lead across the road?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Pinhead wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 2:53pm I was doing 15mph when yesterday a prat on a country lane had a yappy dog on a 30' lead, him one side dog the other, I shouted "coming along" (I didn't want to scare the dog"

Personally I stop to chat to and pet the dawgs on country lanes. Same for the owner (but no petting of them, for one reason or another; and no matter how pettable they may seem). I've had some very good conversations down country lanes in the middle of our Welsh paradise. And met some fine pooches.

Going at 15 mph past a dog + walker on a narrow country lane might be considered inconsiderate, you know. Why not just be nice?
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Cugel wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 4:09pm
Pinhead wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 2:53pm I was doing 15mph when yesterday a prat on a country lane had a yappy dog on a 30' lead, him one side dog the other, I shouted "coming along" (I didn't want to scare the dog"

Personally I stop to chat to and pet the dawgs on country lanes. Same for the owner (but no petting of them, for one reason or another; and no matter how pettable they may seem). I've had some very good conversations down country lanes in the middle of our Welsh paradise. And met some fine pooches.

Going at 15 mph past a dog + walker on a narrow country lane might be considered inconsiderate, you know. Why not just be nice?
Err I was, giving a warning it was HIM that was rude
AUTISTIC and proud
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Pinhead wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 2:53pm
Cugel wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 4:09pm
Err I was, giving a warning it was HIM that was rude
It takes two to tango. I often ask would-be tangoers to consider a nice waltz instead. Some will whilst others demand a jive. If so, I pedal away carefully albeit with speed.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes