GPS device for real time navigation

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Tim o

Re: GPS device for real time navigation

Post by Tim o »

Thread resurrection. I've been very happy with the mapping on my Hammerhead Karoo (now on Karoo2). Battery life might be an issue, probably good for 10 hours. Most of the off road riders I know doing big rides swear by their Wahoo Roam devices. Map display not as good but battery life much better.
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

I've had a few Garmins over the years and although the units are robust and durable I've never been very happy with their software although others may disagree. They're also overpriced in my view.

I'd love to find an Android/Iphone app that works offline, has accurate maps and is as user friendly as google maps (which is reasonable overall although still has a habit of trying to force unsuitable routes and doesn't work very well if you're either off-road or off-line). I'm aware that Garmin does have an excellent android/iphone mapping software that does work off-line and off-road, but you can't use it unless you have a paid Garmin account and it's properietary and I found it difficult to import/export data.

Strava is on my "to try" list although haven't yet used it so can't comment.

I assume there is a good option out there somewhere yet to be discovered by me. Note to self - look into this again when you have a bit more free time :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What are the defects in the Garmin software ?

cycle.travel is available now for iOS, soon for Android:
https://cycle.travel/advice/map/mobile

Jonathan
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

I use my wife's old phone (Sony Experia) and OSMand+ for hiking and cycling. Although its waterproof to 3m I found the screen obtains a mind of its own if it gets wet so I put in in a small "map bag" if it rains.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jules59 wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 2:45am I use my wife's old phone (Sony Experia) and OSMand+ for hiking and cycling. Although its waterproof to 3m I found the screen obtains a mind of its own if it gets wet so I put in in a small "map bag" if it rains.
What software have you tried... and what do you now use?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Sorry for the late reply.

Im still using the same setup Sony Experia phone and OSMand+.

I make GPX routes for driving, walking and cycling from "Ride with GPS" . I use Google maps street view and OS maps to check any uncertain parts of the routes.
Then save them in Dropbox and download to my phone/s when needed. I use the Sony as the bike Nav as my usual Motorola phone is a bit too big and I like to keep that free for taking photos.

Ive stuck OSMand+ for years because once you get to know a piece of software that you use not that often its a lot of work to learn to use another that may not be any better.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Pick your brand and model and then see it it does what you want. Garmin, Wahoo, whatever. They all do the job, just depends on what you like. Check reviews. DCrainmaker is good. I found that the Garmin Explorer is better than a 530. Less features, slightly easier mapping. MY old 800 is even better.
Generally the more expensive offer much more in the way of features most useful for training, not navigation.
Usefulness off road depends on your maps installed. You can get OS easily enough but at time the detail is such that you have to zoom in on a really small screen which is fine if you want to see which side of a house to go but you then lose the overall picture.
To be honest though if you are needing to follow a path on a map they are fine and if there is no path who cares if you are a metre or two off.