What's the longest time out you've had from cycling in the last 3 years?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !

What's the longest period you've had without cycling in the last 3 years?

1 Day.
No votes
2 Days.
No votes
3 Days.
3%
5 Days.
No votes
1 Week.
9%
10 Days.
3%
2 Weeks.
19%
3 Weeks.
13%
1 month.
13%
More than 1 Month.
41%

Total votes: 32

Manc33

What's the longest time out you've had from cycling in the last 3 years?

Post by Manc33 »

Assuming you didn't incur an injury that stopped you cycling, what's the longest period of time that's elapsed between bike rides in say, the last 3 years? This is just a poll for when you didn't feel like cycling. Maybe the weather was bad or like me you were just drinking most nights and not feeling up to it the next day.

I've not been on my bike since October 2nd and that was 73 days ago.

I'm not even sure why that is, but now the cold weather has set in (and I'm on those solid Tannus tyres) I started thinking maybe I might leave it until March or April next year. That's crazy considering how eager I was for most of this year to be on my bike.

There's a poll anyway.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
richardfm

Re: What's the longest time out you've had from cycling in the last 3 years?

Post by richardfm »

About a week or ten days when I have been away on holiday without a bike.
Richard M
Cardiff
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Similar, two weeks during family holiday time in the second half of August, and two weeks when I had Covid in the spring. Last year I think I may have been so busy with family things that I didn’t go on any bike rides in August except gentle family trundles.

Some weeks I’ve only managed one, fairly short “proper bike ride” due to evil weather, and overall I haven’t clocked huge mileage, but I get very “antsy” if there is no opportunity to go for at least some sort of trundle.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Can't remember which year but there was ice on all the country lanes for a month curtailing any distance cycling - went out and bought a recumbent trike the following summer and have never repeated the hiatus.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

988 days.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

It might be the walk of shame but I don’t regard it as such: it must be coming up a month since I last rode my bike and as it’s currently not necessary to ride it on icy roads I won’t be riding it in the days ahead either. My car hasn’t been used for a week and walking, rather carefully, has got me about just fine.

I guess that special tyres and trikes are reasonable enough options - though in previous winters I’ve happily enough got by without either - but it’s easy enough to have a slip on a standard bike and then there’s those motorists who think that their car will steer and brake as normal on icy roads. Just a few days ago a friend had their car damaged by such a thoughtless driver going too fast on a narrow country lane. I don’t like to think how a bike or trike might have got on in such a collision.

Ride if you can and either must or really want to, I have in the past and might in the future. As far as I’m concerned if you don’t have to ride in really cold or foul weather then, with perhaps the occasional exception, it’s best not to put yourself at unnecessary risk. Of course YMMV … your bike and your choices to suit you.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

About 6 weeks off during our lockdown in March/April 2020. Did a lot of turbo work, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’d forgotten lockdowns!

Yes, I too had a long and irritating break from proper bike rides during the Spring 2020 lockdown when the “one outdoor exercise each day” tended to get used in family dog walks, and again in Jan/Feb 2021 when lockdown coincided with some truly horrible weather and even walking the dog was a penance.

Let’s pray to every deity, to good luck, and human sensibleness (that final one won’t work) that we never have to have lockdowns again!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Nearholmer wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 10:11am Let’s pray to every deity, to good luck, and human sensibleness (that final one won’t work) that we never have to have lockdowns again!
With you there. Winter's bad enough without having to enjoy summer through a window.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The last rides I ever did were during the first few days of lockdown. I recall riding along wondering whether an 18 mile trip to the next town and back would qualify as local enough if I got stopped by the police.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I forgot lockdowns while making the poll :lol: It's meant to be time out where you're not made to stay off the bike, you just didn't bother with it.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
CampagKid

Post by CampagKid »

3 months last winter. I just forgot about cycling in the rain and sleet, and let the train take the strain, never really missed the bike at all, until spring was sprung!
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

5pm tonight will be 6 days since my last ride and that will equal my previous non cycling spell since I retired 8 years ago.

And I am going to continue not riding until next year which will make 11 days in total, a record breaking xmas. Not that this rest is doing me any good, back is starting to get uncomfortable and tight with a bit of sciatic kicking off.

Might not be cycling related, but is it simply just riding that keeps the spinal demons at bay?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Pebble wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 9:22am … I am going to continue not riding until next year which will make 11 days in total, a record breaking xmas. Not that this rest is doing me any good, back is starting to get uncomfortable and tight with a bit of sciatic kicking off.

Might not be cycling related, but is it simply just riding that keeps the spinal demons at bay?
An interesting point which I can’t quite answer. However, some years back I had back problems and part of fixing them seemed to be riding my bike. Perhaps it was: getting warm, getting the circulation going and stretching out my back at the same time. Not sure I know but I do think that moderate exercise on a bike does help with one’s health. I reckon that you should have a spin somewhere, just an hour to top you up. :wink:
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Carlton green wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 3:22pm
Pebble wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 9:22am … I am going to continue not riding until next year which will make 11 days in total, a record breaking xmas. Not that this rest is doing me any good, back is starting to get uncomfortable and tight with a bit of sciatic kicking off.

An interesting point which I can’t quite answer. However, some years back I had back problems and part of fixing them seemed to be riding my bike. Perhaps it was: getting warm, getting the circulation going and stretching out my back at the same time. Not sure I know but I do think that moderate exercise on a bike does help with one’s health. I reckon that you should have a spin somewhere, just an hour to top you up. :wink:
For some time I have known cycling is just the thing for my back, I can certainly spend more time in the saddle than I can in a drivers seat, and I'm sure just a little ride today would be just the ticket.

However, i'm determined to make it to next year without riding, an unspoken bet with the wife, she keeps saying things like 'so what time are you going out on the bike?' and I will say, 'not till next year' , she sort of smiles and rolls her eyes as much as I will never make it - So with the greatest determination I have to resist temptation or excuses - I have even been averting my eyes when I have went into the garage..