National Transport Strategy

Jdsk

Re: National Transport Strategy

Post by Jdsk »

Biospace wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 5:59pm ...
My concerns would be for more rural populations, in particular the less wealthy. Already the cost of housing in many such areas is beyond many people's reach, those who can afford rents often only just manage to do so. Increases in transport costs could easily see them gone forever.
We're in a village just a mile or so outside Oxford. There's a steep hill. A couple of years ago we surveyed residents' use of transport as part of the Village Plan.

Many households currently depend on their cars. There are several buses a day. There isn't a train station. A few people cycle to work in the city. (The survey was before widespread availability of or familiarity with eBikes.) We have extensive voluntary driving. There are excellent footpaths and several walking groups.

Car use could be decreased by more frequent buses. That's predominantly a matter of subsidy and could be ramped up very quickly.

There might be a new railway station in Cowley, a mile away. But people would still have to get there.

eBikes could make a difference.

But I don't expect to see any decrease in car ownership: they're just too useful for when they are needed.

Jonathan
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 6:13pm But I don't expect to see any decrease in car ownership: they're just too useful for when they are needed.
Yes, they are, which I find a constant irritant!

Considering all the factors, I still haven't worked out whether a BEV or smaller ICEv would be better for occasional use for those who live and drive outside congested areas. 3000 miles a year, with a couple of 15 mile trips twice a week and the odd day out.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The question has been asked in another thread about why progress in decreasing harm from car-like objects in built-up areas is so slow.

At which point democratic legitimacy has to be mentioned.

Any encouraging signs anywhere on that? Will parties' policies in the next general election matter? And would making decisions more locally help?

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

My instinct is that making decisions more locally would help, in that virtually no one is going to vote for measures explicitly aimed at decreased car ownership or use, but people will vote for better local transport options and neighbourhood improvements.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

It's something that really needs a bit of political leadership. I'm not sure it's really a case of 'virtually no one' votes for measures decreasing car use, depends on the area. I also think that it's a bit arbitrary to split out 'local transport options' etc from decreasing car use. Local politicians in urban areas that have made committed efforts to shift transport away from cars have been rewarded at the ballot box more than they have suffered.

And as Rees in Bristol has shown, chasing/fearing the motorist vote in an urban area often ends you stuck in a no man's land, loosing votes to the greens in the central areas where people are impatient over lack of progress in that area (amongst other issues) whilst meanwhile making little to no ground in the suburbs where any casual glance at the facebook groups will suggest that the typical 'motorist voter' thinks he's 'anti car'.

Re car ownership, that's really more a major policy concern for urban areas where car storage is often on public land, is effectively subsidised and has progressed to a point that it causes significant issues. With that, car ownership can be fairly easily reduced simply by introducing controlled parking and/or ramping up fees on that parking to better match market rates for the land use. Such fees can also be tailored to favour car club use.

Car ownership on private land in more sparsely populated areas is a bit of a moot issue really. If use drops sufficiently you may find a household with multiple cars drops one or two as those get to end of life or they need cash for other reasons.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Stevek76 wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 10:12pm It's something that really needs a bit of political leadership.
It requires a lot of skilled political leadership to overcome the inertia which exists with entrenched behaviour patterns, we're all creatures of habit yet capable of large change at the drop of a hat if the right circumstances exist.

People have grown used to the comfort and privacy of their own space even when they're crawling for mile after mile in queues. They're aware of the plumes of pollution they're helping create but point to a lack of good alternatives, which for many is where the electric car comes in - 'zero emissions'. In fairness, the advantage of electric propulsion is by far at its greatest in long rush hour queues.

Yet for all the comfort and privacy, there are large inconveniences when using cars to commute through heavy traffic. Air quality inside the cabin in a queue is often very poor, there may be an hour or two less spent at home and parking at the other end may be fraught. Many households could make do with one car rather than two if someone commutes by other means - a large sum of money saved.

The choice of the first few towns and cities where pilot projects ran would be critical, but put in place paths for bicycles and pedestrians which are as suitable as new build roads are for cars and the traffic would soon follow. Perhaps the single largest hurdle in Britain is our short-termism and the requirement to demonstrate profitability for a project within a very narrow set of rules and within an unrealistically short timespan.

Just as heart disease was measured to fall almost instantly smoking was banned in public houses, I would expect a similar result if even one tenth of commuting journeys were replaced with bicycles and ebikes.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Stevek76 wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 10:12pm It's something that really needs a bit of political leadership. I'm not sure it's really a case of 'virtually no one' votes for measures decreasing car use, depends on the area. I also think that it's a bit arbitrary to split out 'local transport options' etc from decreasing car use. Local politicians in urban areas that have made committed efforts to shift transport away from cars have been rewarded at the ballot box more than they have suffered.
That's pretty much what I'm saying. People will vote for better bus services, more pleasant streets to live in, easier walking, etc. This leads to less car use and some of those people, as a result of those measures, will decide it's no longer worth having a car. But hardly anyone votes for making cars unaffordable and similar measures aimed explicitly at reducing car ownership.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"All aboard! Can Luxembourg’s free public transport help save the world?":
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... -the-world

Current (!) zero-fare schemes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_publ ... _transport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_publ ... _transport

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Buses return to public control in Liverpool City Region in landmark decision":
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... l-27855874

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

£2 bus fares everywhere here. Great incentive to use public transport. Of course completely free for us oldies, but.... I note the buses are underused and too many oldies in Tesco charging up their massive electric tanks. :(

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

Did I hear they're extended the fare cap for another 12 months. I was babysitting down in Wimborne Dorset a few day ago. Regular bus service to Poole every 15 minutes. Bus was about 75% full. Only counted 6 passengers paying by phone. No cash. All seats had usb connections so you could charge your phone, must check if WiFi was available. Buses ran until 10pm.
This is what we need in Somerset to attract more users.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 6 Oct 2023, 5:23pm Did I hear they're extended the fare cap for another 12 months. I was babysitting down in Wimborne Dorset a few day ago. Regular bus service to Poole every 15 minutes. Bus was about 75% full. Only counted 6 passengers paying by phone. No cash. All seats had usb connections so you could charge your phone, must check if WiFi was available. Buses ran until 10pm.
This is what we need in Somerset to attract more users.
The bus fare cap in Somerset, £2 until December 2024:
https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk ... mber-2024/

I think that this will be national after the Prime Minister's speech.

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

al_yrpal wrote: 6 Oct 2023, 5:05pm £2 bus fares everywhere here. Great incentive to use public transport. Of course completely free for us oldies
It's a "great" scheme. But wish they'd end it.

Buses are FOC for those of use who are partially disabled and it's been an unreal nightmare to have the bus packed, ever since this scheme commenced. Why can't those allowed to, drive?
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Does Wales or Scotland have similar schemes?
mjr

Post by mjr »

gbnz wrote: 6 Oct 2023, 6:38pm
al_yrpal wrote: 6 Oct 2023, 5:05pm £2 bus fares everywhere here. Great incentive to use public transport. Of course completely free for us oldies
It's a "great" scheme. But wish they'd end it.

Buses are FOC for those of use who are partially disabled and it's been an unreal nightmare to have the bus packed, ever since this scheme commenced. Why can't those allowed to, drive?
Because they pollute and congest and we want to avoid that.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.