I gotta new bike I gotta new bike

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

I gotta new bike I gotta new bike

Post by puffin »

Yea, I started with a Dawes Vantage, moved up to a vintage Galaxy, then joined the dark side for a while with an excellent Spa Tourer, then got a Dawes Ultra Galaxy with normal brakes. I've now reached the pinnacle with an Dawes Ultra Galaxy....with Disc Brakes. That's it. There's no where higher to go. I am at the summit. 39 days to go.
puffin

Re: I gotta new bike I gotta new bike

Post by puffin »

It does mean my garage now has a Spa Tourer, a Dawes Galaxy, a Dawes City Something, a Dawes Ultra Galaxy and and a Dawes Galaxy Ultra with discs. What a stable, eh?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Was it made/specced for discs?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Time for a de-clutter? Nobody needs more than two tourers. One in use, the other as spare.
puffin

Post by puffin »

I'm taking her out tomorrow, 37 miles to my brother's house then train back to town then a 6 mile cycle home. Took it up and down the street today adjusting the seat. Just getting over a rotten cold (refereed an U16 match yesterday drooling as I breathed) so looking forward to getting some air in my lungs. 34 days to LEJOG.
Attachments
New bike
New bike
Last edited by puffin on 1 May 2023, 6:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
puffin

Post by puffin »

pwa wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 5:07pm Time for a de-clutter? Nobody needs more than two tourers. One in use, the other as spare.
Please stop talking to my wife, OK?
pwa

Post by pwa »

puffin wrote: 1 May 2023, 6:42pm
pwa wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 5:07pm Time for a de-clutter? Nobody needs more than two tourers. One in use, the other as spare.
Please stop talking to my wife, OK?
:lol:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pwa wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 5:07pm Nobody needs more than two tourers. One in use, the other as spare.
Light tourer, commuter, expedition tourer, gravel bike.

At least four essential, maybe a spare or two just in case of emergency.

Maybe a very small one and a very large one so odd sized friends can join you in your too?
PH

Post by PH »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 1 May 2023, 8:33pm
pwa wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 5:07pm Nobody needs more than two tourers. One in use, the other as spare.
Light tourer, commuter, expedition tourer, gravel bike.
Maybe a very small one and a very large one so odd sized friends can join you in your too?
Plus a folder, which also covers the guest use.
I'm down from five to three (Or seven to five if counting the bikes used just for work) Do anything tourer, Lighter Audax tourer, folding tourer. Any future bikes will be one in one out replacements, probably when the time comes for E-assist replacing non assist.
Nothing wrong with puffin having as many bikes as they want, but that collection has too much duplication for my taste.
PH

Post by PH »

puffin wrote: 1 May 2023, 6:39pm 34 days to LEJOG.
How many days till you decide which bike to use?
That's a downside of multiple bikes, another decision to make. I found it also meant I'd put jobs off, all three of mine are usually ready to ride, when i had five there was rarely more than three rideable at any time!
puffin

Post by puffin »

Good question...I'm using the Ultra with discs, the other Ultra will be getting resprayed. The Spa Tourer will be waiting in the wings in case of breakdown, last year it took over after around day five. The old Galaxy is enjoying its dotage in the garden shed.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Whatever you ride, make sure you have taken it for a couple of hundred miles of testing to see what works loose or goes out of adjustment. Something always does on a new set-up. Gears are a top culprit. Rack bolts need daily checking at first. If you are unlucky you may get wheels going out of true if the build has not been done with care.
puffin

Post by puffin »

pwa wrote: 2 May 2023, 11:02am Whatever you ride, make sure you have taken it for a couple of hundred miles of testing to see what works loose or goes out of adjustment. Something always does on a new set-up. Gears are a top culprit. Rack bolts need daily checking at first. If you are unlucky you may get wheels going out of true if the build has not been done with care.
On a steep climb I kicked the front mudguard stay which popped out. I picked up the U shaped stay and rode on. Now sitting at the station I tried to put it back on but i may be missing a piece where the stay attaches to the mudguard. Anyone recognise this?
Attachments
20230502_150843.jpg
531colin

Post by 531colin »

has it got breakaways?
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Look at/take a photo of the rear mud guard stay fixing, it should be identical to the front one.
To me it looks like something broke, or it it just the stay popping out of a black plastic clip?