Thorn / St John St cycles - response to f'back

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Thorn / St John St cycles - response to f'back

Post by simonineaston »

Just a quick remark re Thorn Cycles. I bought a Jtek product a while ago and fitted it last week. Afterwards, I wrote to SJS cycles, from whom I'd bought it. My email was complimentary about the products and focused on the included instructions, which were printed in a tiny, tiny font.
Imagine my surprise when I quickly received an email back from the director, who made a couple of suggestions and explained he'd cc'ed his reply to others in the organisation. One of these folk replied seperately this morning, explaining how it come about that the instructions had been sent out in the form I found problematic and the steps they were going to take to stop it happening again.
A small matter, I know - but I was impressed by the timing and the quality of the company's reaction. Just thought I'd pass this on to you guys.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: Thorn / St John St cycles - response to f'back

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

I find SJS Cycles so helpful that I'm usually happy to not look for cheaper sources.

And that's not taking into account their stock.

But I do sometimes wish that they had faster delivery.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

They are my supplier of choice, I've never had a bad dealing with them, even on the odd occasion things haven't gone perfectly it's been resolved quickly.
I believe J-tek is their brand, they stepped in when the US company decided to close. They're generally such obscure parts, that I can't imagine it's a very profitable venture. I'd have been stuck a couple of times without them.
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2023, 6:19pm But I do sometimes wish that they had faster delivery.
Jonathan
I like that they don't. Too often next day delivery is mistaken for good service, it's just logistics, often a grossly inefficient method of distribution. I've never bought any cycle part that I can't wait a week for, I'm more impressed that it's well packaged and exactly as expected.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

There's been quite a few times I would have been stuck without them too. Sometimes they have stuff with slight cosmetic issues or whatever (but still fully functional) considerably cheaper than usual. A pair of Marathon Plus one time that were only about £32 for the pair, when everywhere else those same tyres were £25 each. Then there's all the Shimano stuff with specific Y numbers, where a lot of it, only they even sell it.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I've spent far too much with them over the years. I've always had a great service from them. Like the OP one of my questions was dealt with by a director, Robin Thorn.
Richard M
Cardiff
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

PH wrote: 2 May 2023, 6:34pm
Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2023, 6:19pm But I do sometimes wish that they had faster delivery.
Jonathan
I like that they don't. Too often next day delivery is mistaken for good service, it's just logistics, often a grossly inefficient method of distribution. I've never bought any cycle part that I can't wait a week for, I'm more impressed that it's well packaged and exactly as expected.
Never? Any random failure can result in needing a replacement - and unless you have stock of everything, occasionally you'll need a replacement part quickly.

There is no reason that they can't do well packaged and get things to royal mail that day (or maybe the next if you order after e.g. 3 pm).
Waiting 3-4 days before even packaging the order is... odd.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PH

Post by PH »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 3 May 2023, 5:40pm
PH wrote: 2 May 2023, 6:34pm
Never? Any random failure can result in needing a replacement - and unless you have stock of everything, occasionally you'll need a replacement part quickly.
Yes, I stand by what I wrote. I can't think of a single instance where I couldn't wait for a delivery. Though, like most who rely on a bike as a primary means of transport, I have more than one.
But calling out the rare occurrence where something might be needed urgently isn't an excuse for the next day gratification which has hidden costs for retailers, consumers and the entire supply chain. Most of my SJS orders have been received in about 4 days, despatched 2 days after ordering, and usually Parcelforce 48hr. On the occasions they've been a day or two slower, it could be that those not packing are busy offering a more valuable service to customers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

First class post vs 2-4 days is a cost that is very much not hidden and easily passed to the consumer.
Not sure how packing an order in the couple of hours between 3pm and PO closing time is much more expensive than packing it a couple of days later - bring that forward to midday if you need to free time for those pesky real life customers...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I met Thorn and family once ,in Stow hostel. Very committed and knowledgeable.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2023, 6:19pm I find SJS Cycles so helpful that I'm usually happy to not look for cheaper sources.

And that's not taking into account their stock.

But I do sometimes wish that they had faster delivery.
And on the occasions when I need it I'm happy to pay the extra costs if there are any.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 May 2023, 1:30pm Not sure how packing an order in the couple of hours between 3pm and PO closing time is much more expensive than packing it a couple of days later - bring that forward to midday if you need to free time for those pesky real life customers...
EDIT - Deleted reply, can't be bothered. If you don't accept that someone knows how best to run their business, you're not obliged to shop there.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And unless there is no other source then I don't use them... and the primary reason is that they don't provide a decent service for their online customers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 10 May 2023, 5:21pm And unless there is no other source then I don't use them... and the primary reason is that they don't provide a decent service for their online customers.
More on that, please.

I almost always discuss and buy using their website and email. My experiences:

Website catalogue and searching and stock position: very good.
Website Q and As and reviews: well managed and helpful.
Responses to email: excellent.
Online purchasing: good.
Post-purchase communications about that order: OK, but I could do with a single notification rather than two or more. And I'd prefer all of the keywords to be in the body of the emails as well as in any PDFs: searching would be easier.

Thanks

Jonathan
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Worth buying from SJS just to experience their exquisite re-use of packaging materials, truly an art form!