soap for hair body dishes laundry

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: soap for hair body dishes laundry

Post by Sweep »

Paulatic wrote: 14 May 2023, 8:01am
Sweep wrote: 13 May 2023, 9:35pm
PH wrote: 13 May 2023, 8:49pm Liquid soap, it used to be called liquid soap flakes, I think there's only one UK manufacturer, Dri-Pak, though it's often rebranded by retailers as an own brand, the website lists where to find it. I use it for a lot of home laundry. delicate or technical; fabrics, decant into a smaller bottle and take it camping as an all purpose soap. I've never considered trying any camping specific soap, I'd be surprised if there was much difference other than bottle size and price.
https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/cleaning-prod ... oap-750ml/
Yep have used that for washing merino.
Last time i peered at the bottle though it appeared to now have some things added, so am confused as to how they can describe it as pure. Also would be concerned about using on hair.
Good suggestion for laundry and dishes though.
Yorkshire Trading shops sel it i think. Wilko used to sell it own branded, though have now changed supplier. Tho describe it as "original", whatever that means.
We use DP for all our clothes washing, pot washing and liquid soap dispensers. We used to buy it from Wilko and no longer. I would not recommend their own brand which they now sell. It has enzymes in it. We now buy our DP off EBay 12 at a time.
I left a review for Wilko"s own on their web site expressing disappointment . They took it down as it didn’t meet their criteria. :oops:
thanks - matches my impression of Wilkos - have an idea that I also got in touch with them but had no reply. All sorts of stuff in the new version. Makes a mockery of the word "original" to the point of fraud. Have an idea that the new Wilko stuff comes from Spain. Thanks for the encouragement on Dri-Pak's stuff - would be interested in your insight into questions (maybe ignorant) I raised about its ingredients in my response to PH.
Would you also use the Dri-Pak for personal use (when camping) ?- suppose my main concern is hair/getting in eyes.
Sweep
sjs

Post by sjs »

Nearholmer wrote: 13 May 2023, 8:18pm One of my bros is a production designer, and he once designed a bottle filling, capping and labelling machine for export, which took one feedstock, filled two different styles of bottle with it, labelled one for dishwashing, and the other as shampoo.

Not sure what that tells you.
Similar to that hugely overpriced ibuprofen brand which claims to have equally expensive varieties for every type of pain you can think of.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sweep wrote: 14 May 2023, 8:37am
thanks - matches my impression of Wilkos - have an idea that I also got in touch with them but had no reply. All sorts of stuff in the new version. Makes a mockery of the word "original" to the point of fraud. Have an idea that the new Wilko stuff comes from Spain. Thanks for the encouragement on Dri-Pak's stuff - would be interested in your insight into questions (maybe ignorant) I raised about its ingredients in my response to PH.
Would you also use the Dri-Pak for personal use (when camping) ?- suppose my main concern is hair/getting in eyes.
Yes I would use DP for anything. Those long words might be off putting but, I believe, after selecting and going "look up" they are harmless.
I’ve a number of the Wilko yes made in Spain bottles which I’m using up for car and caravan washing annd will anlso use it for bug killing in the garden when they come. To be fair no problems with skin we just didn’t fancy risking it on our clothes. In the past anything with the word enzyme caused us irritation.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Paulatic wrote: 14 May 2023, 10:27am
Sweep wrote: 14 May 2023, 8:37am
Yes I would use DP for anything. Those long words might be off putting but, I believe, after selecting and going "look up" they are harmless.
I’ve a number of the Wilko yes made in Spain bottles which I’m using up for car and caravan washing annd will anlso use it for bug killing in the garden when they come. To be fair no problems with skin we just didn’t fancy risking it on our clothes. In the past anything with the word enzyme caused us irritation.
thanks - yes enzymes also to be avoided I think for tech/waterproof gear.
Sweep
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

A regular bar of soap will do for all of these things, although you don't really need anything for dishes if you have plenty of water, especially if you have hot water
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'm a fan of solid shampoo bars. Some examples here https://www.lush.com/uk/en/c/shampoo-bars

I use cheaper eBay ones, but as I haven't bought one since before COVID, I can't recommend a specific one.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

iandriver wrote: 14 May 2023, 4:56pm I'm a fan of solid shampoo bars. Some examples here https://www.lush.com/uk/en/c/shampoo-bars

I use cheaper eBay ones, but as I haven't bought one since before COVID, I can't recommend a specific one.
an interesting idea, but £9 for a bar of soap?
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I use the same stuff as MrsHJ. Really concentrated so I only use a little and so it lasts forever. Current bottle is still over half full and bought that one in 2018. I don't camp as much as you though Sweep.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rualexander wrote: 14 May 2023, 10:39am A regular bar of soap will do for all of these things, although you don't really need anything for dishes if you have plenty of water, especially if you have hot water
yep probably - bars of soap tend to take a fair bit of effort to lather though - I may experiment with grating/shredding.
I know you can get small "leaves" of soap in dinky holders for outdoor use, but assume that these are just soap sliced thin.
On dishes - if nothing fried, yes, washing up can be easy if done quickly/after soaking as appropriate, but would often need some detrergent I think. At home I sometimes do very small bits without added detergent but the bits are benefitting from soap residue in my cleaning pad so not soap-less.
will try to experiment with grating soap bar (definitely easy to carry/no leakages) and report back.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote: 15 May 2023, 9:38am I use the same stuff as MrsHJ. Really concentrated so I only use a little and so it lasts forever. Current bottle is still over half full and bought that one in 2018. I don't camp as much as you though Sweep.
thanks mrsHJ and vantage, though I note from that amazon listing that it says under warnings.

"Causes serious eye irritation"

somewhat problematical for something to be used as a shampoo?

(and mrs hj said she didn't)
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I use Dove bar soap for everything. I have skin problems and it's the only easy-to-carry soap / cleaner that won't bother me.

If travelling for more than a few days without hotel/B&B stops, I also carry some conditioner for my hair, because I can hardly brush it without.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've used it for washing my face sweep. No problems. It's the same with most soaps, they'll all irritate the eyes. Close yer eyes! :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Unpackaged solid soap bar.
Unpackaged solid shampoo bar.
Small reusable bottle with washing-up liquid. Currently Fairy as it's the biggest bang per gram.

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Sweep wrote: 15 May 2023, 9:39am yep probably - bars of soap tend to take a fair bit of effort to lather though - I may experiment with grating/shredding.
I know you can get small "leaves" of soap in dinky holders for outdoor use, but assume that these are just soap sliced thin.
On dishes - if nothing fried, yes, washing up can be easy if done quickly/after soaking as appropriate, but would often need some detrergent I think. At home I sometimes do very small bits without added detergent but the bits are benefitting from soap residue in my cleaning pad so not soap-less.
will try to experiment with grating soap bar (definitely easy to carry/no leakages) and report back.
The "leaves" of soap packs sold in outdoor shops etc are a waste of time, as soon as you touch them with wet/damp hands the whole pack goes to mush.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use a simple bar of soap for everything
£1.35 for 4