Gino Mader

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
TrevA

Gino Mader

Post by TrevA »

Terribly sad news of the death of Gino Mader who crashed on a descent in the Tour de Suisse and died from his injuries. RIP.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
audaxjk

Re: Gino Mader

Post by audaxjk »

Immensely sad news. I was completely shocked to hear of it today. I’m just amazed at what pro cyclists do and we take it for granted that they’re indestructible - this is a sober reset for me.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Just awful.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Terrible.
I love watching pro cycling, but it's hard to reconcile my idle pleasures with the danger to the participants. Every race has people breaking limbs, suffering significant internal injuries and losing large tracts of skin.
I'm slightly curious that it's allowed to continue as it is.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Many years ago my wife and I cycled up the twisty side of the Albula Pass, and it is about as dangerous as any other Alpine pass. Except perhaps, that it has quite a few big drops just to the side of the road. Not forgiving for anyone who loses their line. But in a way it is surpising, to me at least, that bad accidents don't happen more often in cycle races in mountains. These roads aren't closed off race tracks with lots of safety features for people who don't get round corners. They are rocky, jagged places with ways of making a simple fall at lot worse.

Looking at this recent image (I don't know if it is anywhere near the crash site) you can see how a small error might end with you going over the barrier.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.63955 ... ?entry=ttu
These places are dangerous for racing cyclists.

And we have always known that. We have always known that racing cyclists descend in a way that reduces the margin for error to next to nothing, and rewards mistakes with injury or death. More than that, the danger is part of what makes the sport attractive. As with the Manx TT or climbing K2. And every now and then some young person pays the ultimate price. It makes you think...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

It is sad and must be worse of course for family and friends but I see no reason, indeed it makes me angry to even hint that this should be detered. Possibly this thread isn't the place for a discussion as to why though.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Very tragic- I feel I’m at an age where I’ve had a full life and que sera etc , hate it when young people lose their lives.

I heard muttering about netting as protection on some climbs just before the tour but nothing further?