Spoilers

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
slowster

Re: Spoilers

Post by slowster »

If Cavendish wins a stage, it will probably feature on all UK news media front pages. If someone is away for longer than a day and wants to avoid learning the results of an event, it increasingly becomes more their responsibility to avoid news media, social media and other sources that might mention the result, and less the responsibility of others to avoid spoiling it for them.

Before video recorders, viewers of BBC's Grandstand programme would be told to 'look away now' when the results were shown on screen of the matches that were to be shown later that night on Match of the Day. Life was much simpler then.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

slowster wrote: 4 Jul 2023, 12:29pm If Cavendish wins a stage, it will probably feature on all UK news media front pages. If someone is away for longer than a day and wants to avoid learning the results of an event, it increasingly becomes more their responsibility to avoid news media, social media and other sources that might mention the result, and less the responsibility of others to avoid spoiling it for them.
If they're away for two days, the BBC etc will have stopped mentioning "The Cav Record". So that problem's solved.

The rest of the time just requires a little common sense and selflessness from cycling fans, and everyone's happy. Nothing to do with "responsibility " - it's just being nice. Are you OK with that, or do you need a rule for everything?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 4 Jul 2023, 12:21pm.

I agree that a thread could be started without the apparent need for the spoiler alert but could drift to disclosure.

Jonathan
Thanks
Looking back to the OP
If it's not in the title, please don't post spoilers
what’s now going to happen?
Post removed, separate thread started I don’t know. When I log on here I often learn something I didn’t know did it spoil my enjoyment? Not one bit. :D

I suspect this storm is due to one IMO badly titled subject and I hope any rectification arising from it does not become a rod for someone’s back.
mattheus wrote: 4 Jul 2023, 12:59pm [
The rest of the time just requires a little common sense and selflessness from cycling fans, and everyone's happy. Nothing to do with "responsibility " - it's just being nice. Are you OK with that, or do you need a rule for everything?
Yeah I understand, now just hold that plane on the tarmac for a few hours I’m going to be late. Thanks
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
slowster

Post by slowster »

mattheus wrote: 4 Jul 2023, 12:59pm do you need a rule for everything?
Only when I am expected to intervene.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect that the (few?) people on here who would prefer to learn the results when it suits them eg when they have time to watch recordings are largely the people who know the answers to arcane questions about things like rules and tactics. So, oblige them to avoid anything with anything to do with cycle racing and a lot of queries may go unanswered.

Till this latest controversy, I'd have thought Vorpal's OP on this thread was explicit, but it seems it isn't so perhaps it needs an explanation of the word "spoiler."

ie We already have a rule saying "No spoilers" but it seems it's not universally understood.

eg
Please do not post details of results or incidents in current competitions which may spoil the enjoyment of people looking forward to watching a recording, which is why they are referred to as "spoilers."
The thread title should be restricted to eg
Tour de France 2023 spoiler alert

I'm not looking for a "what about?" discussion. eg I can see that the latest news might involve an interpretation of rules etc. I'd say, if in doubt, shelter it under a spoiler alert
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

slowster wrote: 4 Jul 2023, 1:47pm
mattheus wrote: 4 Jul 2023, 12:59pm do you need a rule for everything?
Only when I am expected to intervene.
Ah OK, fair point!

[Your previous post was a bit ... enigmatic. Apologies if I misread you. ]
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Spoilers

Awesome TDF stage today. Pog in the last 2km showing his stuff. Not sure what happens next!

WvA again being a whole team all by himself.