Sites with kitchens

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
ChrisF

Sites with kitchens

Post by ChrisF »

I have just returned from a 16 day trip along the Dutch coast, through Germany and into Denmark. Although I had my Trangia set with me, I didn't need to use it at all in Denmark - every site had a well-equipped kitchen. Not only that, all but one had indoor seating areas where I could relax during poor weather (and/or in the evening).
I have camped in many sites in UK and France, and several in Spain, but I don't think I have come across sites with kitchens before. It makes a big difference - not only only by expanding the range of things that can be cooked, but also the ease of cooking. Plus the use of fridges to keep food fresh from one day to another (if staying more than one night) makes shopping so much easier.
Someone I met said that camp kitchens were commonplace in Scandinavia. This would be useful to know if true, as I'd like to visit Sweden next summer. Provision of kitchens and warm common rooms certainly mitigates the possibilty of poor weather.
Chris F, Cornwall
foxyrider

Re: Sites with kitchens

Post by foxyrider »

I have certainly made use of the kitchen facilities on Danish and Swedish campsites, even a few in Germany/Austria/Switzerland but don't be lulled into complacency as not every site is so well endowed! I think on my Swedish trip only half the sites had camper kitchens compared to @ 75-80% of the Danish sites i've used over the years.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rivers

Post by rivers »

Some YHA sites allow camping- and you have use of their facilities- kitchens, Common areas, showers/toilets.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I was impressed with campsites in New Zealand having kitchens, really useful when you are touring.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Last year we toured from home in Dundee across to the Isle of Bute and back, using formal campsites the whole way. It seems to have become A Thing for sites to have rooms campers can use. And while these weren't kitchens per so they typically included a microwave oven and a kettle alongside a sink.
A proper kitchen would be better, but I suspect/hope the UK is headed in that direction.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PH

Post by PH »

ChrisF wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 10:54am I have camped in many sites in UK and France, and several in Spain, but I don't think I have come across sites with kitchens before.
I'm surprised you haven't come across any, I've used a few in the UK and France, not enough to rely on, but then I only take a water boiler which I'd take anyway (Unless someone was offering to bring me coffee in bed)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

pjclinch wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 10:19am Last year we toured from home in Dundee across to the Isle of Bute and back, using formal campsites the whole way. It seems to have become A Thing for sites to have rooms campers can use. And while these weren't kitchens per so they typically included a microwave oven and a kettle alongside a sink.
A proper kitchen would be better, but I suspect/hope the UK is headed in that direction.

Pete.
I've come across quite a few too, in Scotland more than England. My view is that it's because of midges.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I've stayed on sites in the Western Isles and also Orkney that had very good kitchens and indoor areas. The one at Kirkwall (Orkney) was particularly good (and welcome as the days I stayed there were very wet). I've also noticed an increase in the number of picnic tables etc. that seem to be available. Things seem to be moving on (a little) from the days I spent climbing and camping in N. Wales when sites proudly advertised having Cold and Hot water....
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I stayed at a site in Surrey this May, that had a kitchen in a converted horse box. No fridge, but stove with three (IIRC) burners, sink with running water, and seating. And a roof! And saves on your own fuel, obvs.