When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bmblbzzz

Re: When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

IME mudguards are fairly easily removed but take an awful lot of time and bother to refit with acceptable clearances and straightness.
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

First stage successful for me.

Have just booked a bagged bike from London-Paris return in June next year.

Booked the ticket Saturday, sent the form straight in and had an answer Sunday morning.

Now I just have to wait for the week before travel to book the Avanti train to London 🙄
CJ

Post by CJ »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 8 Dec 2023, 8:50pm IME mudguards are fairly easily removed but take an awful lot of time and bother to refit with acceptable clearances and straightness.
Rears yes. And they're also a hassle to take off, requiring wheel removal to get at the chainstay bridge screw, or to pass the alternative clip fastening and/or seatstay attachment from under the seatstay bridge. But if it's only the front mudguard - and provided it's a proper mudguard (attached by screws rather than rubber bands!) specified with a decent amount of clearance for touring - it should fit just as easy to re-fit as it came off. Mine are 8)
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

CJ wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 6:12pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 8 Dec 2023, 8:50pm IME mudguards are fairly easily removed but take an awful lot of time and bother to refit with acceptable clearances and straightness.
Rears yes. And they're also a hassle to take off, requiring wheel removal to get at the chainstay bridge screw, or to pass the alternative clip fastening and/or seatstay attachment from under the seatstay bridge. But if it's only the front mudguard - and provided it's a proper mudguard (attached by screws rather than rubber bands!) specified with a decent amount of clearance for touring - it should fit just as easy to re-fit as it came off. Mine are 8)
Not when you have a fork crown mounted headlight to refit and realign as well!
CJ

Post by CJ »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 6:41pm
CJ wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 6:12pm But if it's only the front mudguard ... it should fit just as easy to re-fit as it came off.
Yes, even then. Simply use a longer bolt with one nut on the back of the crown to secure the bolt and lamp, plus a couple of washers and another nut to attach the mudguard too.
Chris Juden
slowster

Post by slowster »

CJ wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 11:12pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 6:41pm
CJ wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 6:12pm But if it's only the front mudguard ... it should fit just as easy to re-fit as it came off.
Yes, even then. Simply use a longer bolt with one nut on the back of the crown to secure the bolt and lamp, plus a couple of washers and another nut to attach the mudguard too.
If it's a modern fork designed to be used with a recessed allen nut to mount the front brake, an alternative is to replace the allen nut with the Gilles Berthoud nut below (or the Problem Solvers' Sheldon Fender Nut version). The Gilles Berthoud nut also eliminates any need to bend or cut the mudguard bracket to prevent it fouling on the lower headset cup.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/9-gi ... mudguards/
CJ

Post by CJ »

slowster wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 11:26pm
CJ wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 11:12pm
... Simply use a longer bolt with one nut on the back of the crown to secure the bolt and lamp, plus a couple of washers and another nut to attach the mudguard too.
If it's a modern fork designed to be used with a recessed allen nut to mount the front brake, an alternative is to replace the allen nut with the Gilles Berthoud nut below (or the Problem Solvers' Sheldon Fender Nut version). The Gilles Berthoud nut also eliminates any need to bend or cut the mudguard bracket to prevent it fouling on the lower headset cup.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/9-gi ... mudguards/
[/quote]
"Do Rinko!"

(The urgent command of Japanese station staff, spilling out of their office, whenever I cheekily wheeled my Brompton to the train door, rather than folding and carrying it the length of the platform!)
Chris Juden
Astrobike

Post by Astrobike »

[quote=Andrew

Now I just have to wait for the week before travel to book the Avanti train to London ?

Why the week before can you not book 12 weeks in advance ?
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

Astrobike wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 10:01am
Now I just have to wait for the week before travel to book the Avanti train to London ?

Unfortunately Avanti seem to be so broken right now that they often don't release tickets until the last minute, as they have no idea what trains they're going to be able to run.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Andrew-l wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 10:09am
Astrobike wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 10:01am

Unfortunately Avanti seem to be so broken right now that they often don't release tickets until the last minute, as they have no idea what trains they're going to be able to run.
Since covid, the standard for all companies advance (discount, and bike reservations where required) bookings is only 6 weeks with an ambition of 8, but as noted Avanti can't even do that.

Want to book your late July summer holiday hotel but not know how much travel will cost until late June? No, me neither ☹️
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Don't forget to factor in a possible ASLEF strike.

Messed up 2 of my plans.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 1:40pm Don't forget to factor in a possible ASLEF strike.

Messed up 2 of my plans.
Yes, two weeks notice on those, I think.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Eurostar

Post by Jdsk »

Recent thread: "Eurostar and SNCF - packing bikes":
viewtopic.php?t=159573

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 24 Jan 2024, 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Eurostar

Post by Jdsk »

Eurostar news, but I'm not sure how much of it is new...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... vid-levels
includes:
"Its terminal at Amsterdam Centraal is due to close for six months from June but Eurostar will continue to run three direct trains from London, although only with slower services connecting at Brussels on the way back.
"Passenger numbers from the city have been severely limited due to UK border requirements and lack of space, which has worsened since Brexit, but Eurostar hopes for a big capacity increase when work is finished."

Jonathan
Will

Post by Will »

Eurostar have announced today that they have adapted the previously announced plans for services from Amsterdam to London after the direct service is temporarily suspended:

https://nltimes.nl/2024/01/24/eurostar- ... renovation

It sounds like the train from Amsterdam will stop for 48 minutes in Brussels, and passengers will get off there and re-board again after clearing immigration and security checks. I don't really see what difference it makes to the previously announced plans (which involved using two different trains).

Will