Panniers on Ferries?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve X

Panniers on Ferries?

Post by Steve X »

Hi, the big trip approach. I will have 4 panniers and tent on my rack. Would you pack one pannier for the ferry, and take that up to the cabin, and leave the rest. Or take all 4.
I imagine a car deck is fully CCTVd so do not think there is much theft risk.
Also, do P and O provide towels in the cabins.
First Vrienden booked, took 5 attempts to find one with availability. Going Vrinden for first night as it costs €52 for 2 wheras a campsite seems to cost €42 in that area.
Jdsk

Re: Panniers on Ferries?

Post by Jdsk »

Bar bag with valuables and one pannier (per person) come to the cabin. The other pannier and the tent/mats and the bottles stay on the bikes.

Jonathan
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Thats great, thank you :-)
Trek520

Post by Trek520 »

Same here take 1 pannier with what I need to the cabin everything else stays on the bike is how u have always travelled on ferries without incident so hopefully it will be the same for you good luck and enjoy your trip
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I only have 2 mid size panniers and a bar bag. All go with me but it’s not necessary- it’s just so I don’t have to faff around organising what I’m taking to my cabin.

Other info:
I use Brittany ferries, for them there are sheets and towels in the cabins and shower gel.
People don’t generally lock their bikes and the ferry crew will tie the bikes to the rails in the hold- you stack them up and unstuck them. Walking on and off the ferry only.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Do you need a pannier's worth of gear?

On my last Brittany ferry, I took 1 pannier because I wanted electric kettle and breakfast stuff.

On my last overnight ferry in Japan. Only needed wash stuff (free green tea), so took small nylon backpack thingy.

I've never worried about leaving panniers on the bike.
pal

Post by pal »

I'm another one in the 'leave stuff on the bike' camp (though I have a bad track record of forgetting that one Vital Thing is in a pannier left on the car deck :D ) Car decks are locked during the sailing, so I always reckon stuff will be pretty safe on the bike.

I haven't been on P&O since pre-pandemic days, but they certainly used to provide towels (and soap, etc) in the cabins, and I don't think it's likely to have changed.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yes there are towels in the P & O cabins (Hull - Rotterdam)
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

All cross channel / North Sea ferries have had towels when I’ve booked a cabin.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Another case of we always leave the bikes mostly packed and just take an overnight bag to the cabin. Can't remember how many trips we've been over purely by bike, but "several", and never been a problem.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Thank you for all the really helpful replies, much appreciated.

Plan is Ferry to Rotterdam, then head towards Ghent, as we have been to Brugges, and heard Ghent, is as nice, but "more real" then take it from there.
pal

Post by pal »

That sounds great. Ghent is indeed a wonderful place (in my opinion!). There's a nice cyclists' cafe on the edge of the centre, if you need refreshment: https://www.facebook.com/barbidongent
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

We visited Gent (Flemish spelling doesn't have the 'h') earlier this year, nice place. As well as the town itself there's plenty of good riding round and about.
We stayed at a campsite that's in town but doesn't feel it, in amongst a big sport and recreation zone, https://urban-gardens.be/en/.

The chips and chocolate are, as you would expect, excellent!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Awesome, a Cafè and a campsite recommendation, thanks a lot :-)
lisap

Post by lisap »

I have always taken one pannier with items needed in the cabin and left the rest on the bike, however, on my first trip to Bilbao I didn’t realise it was restaurant or coffee bar food only and very expensive. On subsequent trips I’ve always packed enough snack food to keep me going although the selection of food on the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry which is a much shorter crossing was always very good.