Access around Thirlmere reservoir

grufty

Access around Thirlmere reservoir

Post by grufty »

I have just received an email from my local cycling group. It seems that United Utilities have applied to Cumberland Council for a permanent closure of a section of the road on the west shore. If this is the case then it could have a major impact on cycling in the Lakes, as the alternative is riding on the busy A591 on the east side.
There is a petition...
https://www.change.org/p/keep-thirlmere ... _dashboard
CathM

Re: Access around Thirlmere reservoir

Post by CathM »

Please sign this! The A591 is a horrible road, and the road under threat of closure is the only alternative route. It's yet another example of planning for the convenience of drivers at the expense of cyclists and other vulnerable road users. Alpine and Scandinavian countries manage to deal with the threat of rockfall on roads; we seem unable to.

Cath
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

It's a pleasant road to ride along, and it would be a shame if it were closed. But I think that '...a major impact on cycling in the Lakes' is over-egging it a bit. It's only a 3 or 4 mile stretch after all, a fraction of the distance on that road that must be travelled by anyone cycling say from Keswick to Ambleside.

Much of that stretch of the road has double white lines, and I find that positioning oneself in the centre of the lane feels perfectly safe. But I will sign the petition anyway.
grufty

Post by grufty »

CathM wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 12:11pm Alpine and Scandinavian countries manage to deal with the threat of rockfall on roads; we seem unable to.
The Scots, too, can "Rest and be thankful" that they have the engineering skills to deal with similar problems! ;)
grufty

Post by grufty »

xerxes wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 1:39pm It's a pleasant road to ride along, and it would be a shame if it were closed. But I think that '...a major impact on cycling in the Lakes' is over-egging it a bit. It's only a 3 or 4 mile stretch after all, a fraction of the distance on that road that must be travelled by anyone cycling say from Keswick to Ambleside.

Much of that stretch of the road has double white lines, and I find that positioning oneself in the centre of the lane feels perfectly safe. But I will sign the petition anyway.
"Over-egging it a bit", I don't know, perhaps. What I do know is that the route over Dunmail Raise is arguably the main north- south route in the central Lakes. I admire your courage for taking the lane on that ~10km stretch. Those of us of a more nervous disposition, or slow, or family riders, might welcome a quieter and more relaxed option. There is only one 2km section of the A591 between Dunmail Raise and Town End which is unavoidable if you are travelling from Keswick to Ambleside.
It comes down to choices. Fast riders might prefer the A591 option, more leisurely riders, perhaps not so much.
CathM

Post by CathM »

I don't consider myself to be of a particularly nervous disposition in traffic (although neither am I so bold as to take the lane on that stretch), but I loathe the A591and the lack of an alternative road certainly puts me off cycling to Keswick.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

CathM wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 6:08pm I don't consider myself to be of a particularly nervous disposition in traffic (although neither am I so bold as to take the lane on that stretch) but I loathe the A591and the lack of an alternative road certainly puts me off cycling to Keswick.
I echo this. It's a particularly unpleasant, dangerous section of road for cyclists, the only direct route joining the North and South Lake District. The next shortest route is over Kirkstone Pass (454m) and the high land around Great Mell, over twice as far. There is no other alternative by road other than skirting the edge of the Lake District via Kendal, Shap and Penrith, about 5 times further round.

It's continually winding but fast and with long narrow sections, much of it with no room to pull off the road, flanked with a stone wall with a drop the other side and rock/mountain side and no room to pull off the carriageway. Multiple blind corners, rapid changes from dark shade to blinding sunlight and similarly from wet road to dry only multiply the other dangers.

This https://www.change.org/p/keep-thirlmere ... u/31766138 is worth reading, too.
grufty

Post by grufty »

Let's not forget that the road under threat is(was?) part of Sustrans' NCN6, and can be part of a LEJOG route, as has been documented on this forum.
Where are the Sustrans, LDNPA and CUK responses to this threat?
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

it's hit the news, well the BBC anyway

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.or ... a-66349232
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

grufty wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 3:08pm Let's not forget that the road under threat is(was?) part of Sustrans' NCN6, and can be part of a LEJOG route, as has been documented on this forum.
Where are the Sustrans, LDNPA and CUK responses to this threat?
Its "horror of horror" a road - so don't expect any opposition from Sustrans, who have been busy recently removing these from the NCN. They have already deleted the routes along the quieter sides Coniston Water and Basenthwaite Lake (37 & 38) and even discontinued route 6 beyond Thirlmere over Dunmail Raise.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Signed the petition.
I am here. Where are you?
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Signed.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

useful inf on objection here from CyclingUK

https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/object-p ... trict-road
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Traction_man wrote: 2 Sep 2023, 8:33am useful inf on objection here from CyclingUK

REMINDER:

The deadline for objections is 15 September, so anyone thinking of objecting (or signing the petition) PLEEEEEEASE do it now :)
CathM

Post by CathM »

mattheus wrote: 8 Sep 2023, 10:16am
Traction_man wrote: 2 Sep 2023, 8:33am useful inf on objection here from CyclingUK

REMINDER:

The deadline for objections is 15 September, so anyone thinking of objecting (or signing the petition) PLEEEEEEASE do it now :)
Just bumping this as objections have to be in by Friday. Thanks!
Catherine.