Kojak tyres opinions

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Loomis

Kojak tyres opinions

Post by Loomis »

Hi, What are peoples opinions of Schwalbe Kojak folding tyres? I bought a couple a while back in 20/26, with a view to replacing the Marathon Racers I have fitted at present, to my Giro 20. From reading rolling resistance figures and some opinions, they do not seem to be very well thought of, apart from the weight saving. Some of the American reviewers on the other hand seem to rave about them. I only go out in the summer on the Giro, so winter hardiness is no problem for me.
UpWrong

Re: Kojak tyres opinions

Post by UpWrong »

Do you have the new ones with the Addix compound? If so there might be a performance improvement. I have the old compound ones and the tread feels stiff to me, stiffer than on Racers.
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Hi UpWrong,
I have had a look at the boxes. Can't find a specific reference to the compound you mentioned, but what i know is,

20x 1.35 manufactured 5/07/21 performance race guard compound SpC HS385
26x1.35 manufactured 3/04/19 race guard compound SpC
Does this give you a clue?
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Sorry about the triple posting folks, my PC is now very old and slow, and I thought that it had not sent, so sent it again, and again?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Loomis wrote: 11 Aug 2023, 1:31pm Hi UpWrong,
I have had a look at the boxes. Can't find a specific reference to the compound you mentioned, but what i know is,

20x 1.35 manufactured 5/07/21 performance race guard compound SpC HS385
26x1.35 manufactured 3/04/19 race guard compound SpC
Does this give you a clue?
That's the old speedgrip compound. TBH I have no idea if the Addix is really any better or not. My Kojaks sit in a box. I prefer Panaracer Pasela PTs which come in a variety of widths.
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Thanks for that UpWrong. I think leaving them in the box is the best thing to do :lol: I had a look for the Panaracers but it looks like they only come in 1.75" for a 559 wheel, which is far too wide for my Alexrims DA16s. I will probably stick to the Marathon Racers, as they do give a smooth ride, although they too are a little large for the rims. I might get a spare wheel and put the rear Kojak on it for the turbo trainer in the winter. Seems a shame for relatively expensive tyre though. I should have done my homework a little better before buying them :(
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Loomis wrote: 11 Aug 2023, 2:31pm Thanks for that UpWrong. I think leaving them in the box is the best thing to do :lol: I had a look for the Panaracers but it looks like they only come in 1.75" for a 559 wheel, which is far too wide for my Alexrims DA16s. I will probably stick to the Marathon Racers, as they do give a smooth ride, although they too are a little large for the rims. I might get a spare wheel and put the rear Kojak on it for the turbo trainer in the winter. Seems a shame for relatively expensive tyre though. I should have done my homework a little better before buying them :(
The wired version is available here in 32, 38 and 42mm widths https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/panaracer-p ... nch-p19182 for £24.75. I have a number of the 32mm folding ones.
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Great. Thank you.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I thought I'd try my folding 20" kojak on the front of my Paseo in an effort to have the lightest possible wheels, replacing a 38mm Maxxis DTH. The mounted width on the 18 mm rim was only 33mm. I did a 16 mile ride at 50 psi. Didn't like it. It felt dead and less comfortable than the DTH.