Helmets with mesh

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Rob D

Helmets with mesh

Post by Rob D »

I'm looking for a road cycling helmet with mesh in the front vents, to stop wasps and other bitey things from entering. They seem very scarce.
It would need to be large size - 'one size fits all' doesn't, in my case.
Anyone know of anything suitable?
Thanks, Rob
mjr

Re: Helmets with mesh

Post by mjr »

If you really want one, I'd get a mesh cover over the top of the intake vents, so they are trapped too far from your head to hurt you. From what I've seen (as a non-user), meshes in vents often cause bugs to become trapped in the mesh (perhaps pinned by the airflow?) and very desperate very quickly. The meshes moulded into the helmet near the bottom of the vent seem like a very daft idea.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

That's certainly an idea, thanks. I'm not in a great rush, although it would be handy for imminent 3 weeks in Brittany.
I have a strong awareness of the risks of getting a wasp inside the helmet as I hurtle down a hill. It's odd that there are so few such lids.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

It does seem curious that even quite premium brand helmets don't have mesh as a standard feature. I bought a helmet from Aldi some years ago when my wife had a spell of enthusiasm for riding but have rarely worn it since. Not that it's a bad helmet, but it only served as a place to attach a helmet mirror, and once I realised that I could also attach it to my glasses frame I stopped using the helmet as an unnecessary encumbrance.

What I did notice was that this helmet came with mesh in the front vents which I thought was a good idea at the time. The mesh is quite deeply recessed, but not to the extent of making insect contact likely with your head. There is about 1 to 1.5 cm distance between the mesh and the inner surface of the helmet. Like anything that you attach to your helmet, an external mesh is probably not approved by helmet manufacturers as being likely to increase the friction between helmet and road in the event of an accident. Also one more thing to faff around with, if you could get a helmet with built in mesh.

Mesh or no mesh, it mainly boils down to fit but if current Aldi helmets still feature the mesh, it might be worth a look.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

a.twiddler wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 7:02pm It does seem curious that even quite premium brand helmets don't have mesh as a standard feature. I bought a helmet from Aldi some years ago when my wife had a spell of enthusiasm for riding but have rarely worn it since. Not that it's a bad helmet, but it only served as a place to attach a helmet mirror, and once I realised that I could also attach it to my glasses frame I stopped using the helmet as an unnecessary encumbrance.

What I did notice was that this helmet came with mesh in the front vents which I thought was a good idea at the time. The mesh is quite deeply recessed, but not to the extent of making insect contact likely with your head. There is about 1 to 1.5 cm distance between the mesh and the inner surface of the helmet. Like anything that you attach to your helmet, an external mesh is probably not approved by helmet manufacturers as being likely to increase the friction between helmet and road in the event of an accident. Also one more thing to faff around with, if you could get a helmet with built in mesh.

Mesh or no mesh, it mainly boils down to fit but if current Aldi helmets still feature the mesh, it might be worth a look.
My helmets have come from the Aldi or Lidl bargain aisles for the last few years, they've always seemed to have mesh on the vents.
They're okay as far as I can tell, they still meet the same EN1078 most lids are built to, only reason to avoid is if the shape doesn't quite work for your particular head (so while my wife did her first few 'cross races in a Lidl one, she's now changed it for a much more expensive Kask one purely for better on-the-head comfort and I've taken over the Lidl one as my previous one was a few years old).

If you DIY some mesh the main issue that jumps to mind is you need to make sure (I'm not sure how...) that any glue you use doesn't damage the outer shell. My guess is some gaffer take ought to be okay, it works for most things.

As for the friction between the lid and road, on the one hand yes, on the other that would be a good deal less friction than the cameras, lights and mirros people routinely add to helmets and nobody much seems to worry about, even though they very probably mean they'd not make certification with them attached.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Is it actually at all a common occurrence to be stung/bitten on bits of scalp left unprotected by a helmet? If you're really worried about wasps etc. then a full face helmet would make more sense - if you're putting effort in to cycling, you're likely to have your mouth open, and a sting in the mouth or throat is potentially much more serious than one on the scalp. Is it worth bothering with mesh at all?

I don't know the answer - I don't wear a helmet - maybe insects can get trapped in the ventilation holes? The only time I got stung while riding was when a wasp or bee - unsure which - flew into my mouth. I instinctively spat it out and it stung me on the lip as it exited.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

nosmarbaj wrote: 1 Sep 2023, 11:43am Is it actually at all a common occurrence to be stung/bitten on bits of scalp left unprotected by a helmet? If you're really worried about wasps etc. then a full face helmet would make more sense - if you're putting effort in to cycling, you're likely to have your mouth open, and a sting in the mouth or throat is potentially much more serious than one on the scalp. Is it worth bothering with mesh at all?

I don't know the answer - I don't wear a helmet - maybe insects can get trapped in the ventilation holes? The only time I got stung while riding was when a wasp or bee - unsure which - flew into my mouth. I instinctively spat it out and it stung me on the lip as it exited.
I've never come across anyone who has been stung on the scalp, come to think of it. More likely to get trapped under the edges or under the straps. Still, if you buy into the helmet thing, having some mesh built in takes away something else to worry about, however infinitesimal the chances are. It's not unknown for motorcyclists to get stung if a wasp gets into your full face helmet while at low speed with your visor slightly open for ventilation. It can get in but can't easily get out. You pays yer money and takes yer choice, it seems.
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Thanks all. I guess it's not a huge problem, but a friend of a friend had exactly this, crashed and broke her collar bone. It just aeems a likely problem to me...
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Rob D wrote: 1 Sep 2023, 4:08pm ........... but a friend of a friend had exactly this, crashed and broke her collar bone. It just aeems a likely problem to me...
So there's maybe the deciding factor (mesh or not mesh) - if you're the sort of rider to panic and loose control at something getting into your helmet, then mesh would seem a very good idea.

If as is more likely the case that a helmet invader causes you to swear and curse whilst coming to a controlled halt, then maybe not bother with the mesh, certainly if you've a nice meshless comfy helmet already (or have found one).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey