Robert Saunders GC2 BACKPACKER tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Grldtnr

Robert Saunders GC2 BACKPACKER tent

Post by Grldtnr »

I've had this tent for almost 40 yrs, I used to use it regularly for touring & occasional wildcamping trips by sea , actually it's had an easy life, just for old times sake I used it to camp this week..
Despite its age , it still is in good nick, with one or 2 minor worn points, it hasn't a full set of original pegs ,some are bent & gnarly, but its still weather tight.
It's a bit of a to do to pitch with the 3 poles, just wondering if to modify with fibre glass poles at the front, if you know the GC2 it is an odd shape ,with a short transverse ridge, and a Canadian style fly, it's very roomy for 2 and packs into a Carradice Camper Long flap saddle bag.

The Question ❓ there's always one, by modifying it , would I detract from its value, modern tents, have pockets and internal hanging points, my Vaude Tent has an eco skeleton pole and is very easy to put up, but it's bigger ,heavier than the Rob Saunders, but the fact remains the 40 yr old tent performs just as good as my modern tents.

I don't think I'd want to sell it on, but here's the 2 nd Question ,

What's it worth?
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
pjclinch

Re: Robert Saunders GC2 BACKPACKER tent

Post by pjclinch »

Looking at the Sold listings on eBay (in the "Advanced Search") one went this year for £87.50 and a Backpacker S (I don't know what the difference is) for £50. Each had just the one bid so I'm guessing the game is set the right price and hope for someone up for a bit of nostalgia.

I've no idea whether modding it would detract from its value. On the one hand your nostalgia merchant might not like the idea, but on the other since RS was happy to mod things by order and there were typically not "standard" models as such, maybe not.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

I think I rather like the tent, if I didn't ,it would have gone ages ago, I did buy a Spacepacker, but that moved on ,I didn't get along with that.
I think 37 yrs is long enough , don't you?
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Grldtnr wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 3:26pm I think I rather like the tent, if I didn't ,it would have gone ages ago, I did buy a Spacepacker, but that moved on ,I didn't get along with that.
I think 37 yrs is long enough , don't you?
If it works and you like it, might as well let it keep on doing its stuff! :)
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...