Covid autumn booster

djnotts

Covid autumn booster

Post by djnotts »

On-line booking seems to have gone live about 30 minutes ago, as scheduled.
"Covid booking" search took me straight to the relevant NHS page.
rjb

Re: Covid autumn booster

Post by rjb »

Just tried to book but the service is sending me to a vacination centre over 20 miles away. Surely there must be one locally in Taunton where the bus runs too. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. will try again later.
we are both over 70 and the mrs is on the vulnerable list too.
Last edited by rjb on 18 Sep 2023, 9:09am, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We received our invitations by text to book at our GPs' a couple of weeks ago. So that we could minimise the mucking about, I walked up there and booked over the counter for us to go together early in October

(We are both 75+)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Received my invitation, for 30th September, a few weeks ago.
I’m full of apprehension, will I go will I no go. Present thoughts are I’ll go, speak to a nurse , but I might not have it.
Currently weighing up my experience which has been feeling progressively worse after each jag culminating with shingles after last years jag.
Against, no one in this house has ever had covid or even a sniffle since 2020. It appears our environment and lifestyle isn’t risky. I’ve two sons both work with the public and have never had Covid.
I think one of the best things to emerge from all this has been the alcohol spray for supermarket trolley handles. Visit last week looks like I’m the only person still doing that.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

No point in depending on my GP . I've had no dealings with them on covid.
Looks like we've 4 or 5 Pharmacies within 5 miles from which to choose. Always live in urban areas when over 60!
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I've got mine on the 7th next month along with the flu jab at my surgery, last year I had to go miles away
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I'm booked in for my 'flu jab on Saturday.
Now I've had a message from the surgery that I'll be offered a covid jab at the same time
I often feel a bit off colour after the flu jab - not so with the covid.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

On line site obviously busy already - slowed a lot. But booked at local pharmacy for me and herself on Friday afternoon.
That's today's task achieved!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm due a flu vaccination as well as now being eligable for a Covid booster and until recently thought no problem I'll have them done together as there has been a lot of official statements about them being done at same time, pluss single appointment for 2 jabs far lower resource use. Not possible round here as places doing flu don't do Covid and vice versa.

So looks like 2 appointments. Not a big impact on me but I'd have thought cumulatively there must be a cost impact on NHS.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

djnotts wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 10:13am ... But booked at local pharmacy for me and herself on Friday afternoon.
I wont have injections at pharmacies any more after last years flu jab. Last year flu at pharmacy and needle stayed in ages (not hurting) but wondered if pharmacist had put it in and gone for coffee.

Next day shoulder more than sore and over week built so moving shoulder was really painful. Month later at Physio in pain. Explanation as to what might have gone wrong (clinician errors) and still nearly a year later shoulder is painful and not working well.

So lost trust in pharmacies giving injections.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The NHS system for England this autumn:
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/covid-19-services/
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/covid-1 ... -services/

(it's different in the different countries of the UK.)

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My booking options are all very distant but I'd assume that as the includes groups have only just been extended that loads of people have booked so likely some centres are quickly fully booked. I expect in a week or two more centres will appear in the list as they start to have appointments available - at least I hope 'cos I'm not travelling the distance to those listed right now.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, we had our seasonal (?) flu jabs last week at our local health centre AKA GPs

We just go when invited and generally see lots of the older end from Gildersome doing pretty much the same. As an inveterate fretter, I try not to fret about this. I think I've read somewhere that the received wisdom among political spin doctors is that jabs are popular with older people and I'd hate it if that were to be influencing this. I suppose it's just a part of holding politicians and their advisors in such low esteem

I'm more concerned by the possible effects of people who find excuses to avoid attending.
================================================
PS When covid jabs first became available, I booked an appointment in York, just to have a legal excuse for getting out of the house. We were both able to attend together at a local centre and did so, after I had cancelled my York appointment
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I've had three inoculations previously and I'll definitely have the booster when offered. I had Covid back in July, a couple of weeks housebound, a couple of weeks after that before I felt able to go out cycling and a sore throat and fatigue that lingered on beyond that for a while.
I've gone back to mask wearing in shops mostly (if I remember). I don't wish to repeat the experience if I can do anything to avoid it.
Nu-Fogey
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

I got a text from GP surgery on 11 Sept offering flu + covid jabs on 23 Sept. I can't do that date so phoned surgery and they gave me an appointment on 16th. Very well organised and straightforward IMO. Felt a bit feverish yesterday (17th) but normal today - suspect this was result of covid jab as I've never had any reaction to past flu jabs.