Elbow joint pain and inflammation

531colin

Re: Elbow joint pain and inflammation

Post by 531colin »

pjclinch wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 2:24pm
arnsider wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 8:40am It seems counter intuitive to move my saddle back. I would have thought that doing this would result in stretching the upper body further and putting more weight on the bars.
It does seem counter-intuitive... but try the following:

Stand a couple of feet back from a table and lean on to it, putting the weight on your hands. Now take the weight off your hands without moving your feet. You do that by moving your bum back.

There is a catch, which is your core and neck muscles have to do more work, but as catches go it's probably smaller than having painful elbows!

Pete.
My favourite is the "Paulatic manoeuvre" here viewtopic.php?t=157406&hilit=Paulatic......scroll down to Paulatic's post near bottom of page....
.....which demonstrates (I think unequivocally) that his centre of mass is over the pedals, as is mine.

...."core and neck muscles have to do more work".....more work than what?
More work than sitting in an armchair? More work than sitting at the computer?
Not necessarily more work than sitting on a bike in an uncomfortable position.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

531colin wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 10:49pm
pjclinch wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 2:24pm
arnsider wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 8:40am It seems counter intuitive to move my saddle back. I would have thought that doing this would result in stretching the upper body further and putting more weight on the bars.
It does seem counter-intuitive... but try the following:

Stand a couple of feet back from a table and lean on to it, putting the weight on your hands. Now take the weight off your hands without moving your feet. You do that by moving your bum back.

There is a catch, which is your core and neck muscles have to do more work, but as catches go it's probably smaller than having painful elbows!
My favourite is the "Paulatic manoeuvre" here viewtopic.php?t=157406&hilit=Paulatic......scroll down to Paulatic's post near bottom of page....
.....which demonstrates (I think unequivocally) that his centre of mass is over the pedals, as is mine.

...."core and neck muscles have to do more work".....more work than what?
More work than sitting in an armchair? More work than sitting at the computer?
Not necessarily more work than sitting on a bike in an uncomfortable position.
The "Paulatic manoeuvre" is a variation of pretty standard drill for descending technical stuff on a mountain bike, sometimes known as "the hinge", see for example...

So in a hinge your chest can be quite close to the bars but there's practically no weight on your hands. But it does take core muscles to maintain because the further you are out of vertical the more work muscles have to do to keep the skeleton from sagging. If you do a long trail in a hinge you're feeling it at the bottom!

Sat on the saddle it's less work for your legs, obviously, but it's typically less work for the core because the position is less extreme and not so far from vertical. But we've evolved to stand straight by default for the simple reason that it's less work than standing bent over. Yes, your CoM is over the pedals, but that doesn't mean you're not doing any work to maintain your position. It takes work just to stand up straight (which is why standing desks are increasingly recommended for building exercise in to a working day). It takes more work to stand in a crouch, and that's why if you're not worried about aero (like a typical Dutch commuter) then sitting bolt-upright is the most relaxed cycling posture shy of a recumbent where it's the seat holding you up, not your muscles.

Cycling in a crouch is a good exercise for cycling in a crouch: if you regularly ride in a crouch you're exercising your core. But it is an adaptation, and the need for a strong core doesn't vanish just because your weight is over the pedals. If your body is cantilevered out from the saddle (to take weight off your hands), you need something going on to stop your spine sagging, and that's muscles doing work. The more you're leaned over, the more work they have to do. You don't get something for nothing, and if you're not leaning on your hands you have to take that weight back to the saddle by holding your body straight with muscle power.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
531colin

Post by 531colin »

But "Arnsider" isn't riding in a racing crouch; he is riding a flat-bar E bike and he has changed the stem to get the bars higher and closer.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

531colin wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 2:36pm But "Arnsider" isn't riding in a racing crouch; he is riding a flat-bar E bike and he has changed the stem to get the bars higher and closer.
I didn't say anything about a racing crouch, I just said a crouch, and unless you're on something like a Dutch oma/opafiets you'll typically be in something of a crouch. Even my Bromton M-type, with my not-that-tall 1.73/5'8" frame, is ridden in a little bit of a crouch compared to my wife's Gazelle. The UK market just doesn't really do genuinely upright seating positions. And if you're not bolt upright you'll be doing extra work with neck and core muscles compared to if you are.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, and as I acknowledged by saying, "but as catches go it's probably smaller than having painful elbows!" I think it's entirely likely a good way to go about it. But it is a catch, and avoiding it is why Dutch bikes have a more upright riding position than those one typically finds in the UK. And of course if it's an e-bike there's less need to be aero so less call for any sort of forward lean whatsoever.

Pete.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

pjclinch wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 3:35pm
531colin wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 2:36pm But "Arnsider" isn't riding in a racing crouch; he is riding a flat-bar E bike and he has changed the stem to get the bars higher and closer.
I didn't say anything about a racing crouch, I just said a crouch, and unless you're on something like a Dutch oma/opafiets you'll typically be in something of a crouch. Even my Bromton M-type, with my not-that-tall 1.73/5'8" frame, is ridden in a little bit of a crouch compared to my wife's Gazelle. The UK market just doesn't really do genuinely upright seating positions. And if you're not bolt upright you'll be doing extra work with neck and core muscles compared to if you are.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, and as I acknowledged by saying, "but as catches go it's probably smaller than having painful elbows!" I think it's entirely likely a good way to go about it. But it is a catch, and avoiding it is why Dutch bikes have a more upright riding position than those one typically finds in the UK. And of course if it's an e-bike there's less need to be aero so less call for any sort of forward lean whatsoever.

Pete.
What nonsense!
How far do you reckon Arnsider will move his saddle back? 20 or 30mm is likely to be the most without purchasing a new long layback seatpost.
What effect will that have on the angle of his back? About a degree? Half a degree? It probably won't take him back to the position he had before he raised the bars and shortened the reach....not enough of a change to notice strain on the core muscles, I would say.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

531colin wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 4:10pm
pjclinch wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 3:35pm
What nonsense!
How far do you reckon Arnsider will move his saddle back? 20 or 30mm is likely to be the most without purchasing a new long layback seatpost.
What effect will that have on the angle of his back? About a degree? Half a degree? It probably won't take him back to the position he had before he raised the bars and shortened the reach....not enough of a change to notice strain on the core muscles, I would say.
I'm simply pointing out a general case that more forward lean means more work at core and neck, I am not stating it will necessarily be a problem.

I am also stating that the limiting case of a bolt-upright posture will allow no weight on arms and involve less core/neck work than anything else bar a recumbent seat's extra support.

You seem absolutely determined to have a problem with that... I have no idea why!

Pete.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

The only "problem" I have is that you are repeatedly emphasising something which you agree "will not necessarily be a problem"......
the more you emphasise it, the more likely you are to completely derail the thread, or divert the readers attention away from what is actually the subject of the thread, which is to try to alleviate "Arnsider's" elbow pain.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

531colin wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 8:57pm The only "problem" I have is that you are repeatedly emphasising something which you agree "will not necessarily be a problem"......
the more you emphasise it, the more likely you are to completely derail the thread, or divert the readers attention away from what is actually the subject of the thread, which is to try to alleviate "Arnsider's" elbow pain.
"Not necessarily a problem" is also not "will necessarily not be a problem": moving a saddle back to take weight off arms isn't consequence free, so I'm saying in effect, "try this, but do be aware of this possible side effect".

And if that side effect is a problem then I'm pointing out a way to solve both elbow and potential lean-induced problems is to put the least stress on their body with the simplest most comfortable riding position and let the e-assist do the heavy lifting caused by the resulting wind assistance: a bolt-upright stance on a Dutch- style bike.

It's an option that may help Arnsider which is why I put it there. It is, if you look over the other side of the North Sea where far more older (i.e., thus potentially arthritic) riders take to bikes than in the UK, a very popular and proven one, albeit considerably more expensive and awkward than moving the saddle back on the current bike and seeing how that goes, which is a smarter first thing to try.
🤷‍♂️

Pete.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

arnsider wrote: 6 Nov 2023, 11:31pm I am going through a lot of arthritic pain and discomfort, starting with my thumbs and shoulders.
It has come on quite suddenly and makes rides of over twenty miles progressively more painful.
I ride an e bike with flat bars and Ergo control bar end grips.

Any ideas?
I will add my voice to the many who have previously suggested that you'll need to speak with someone of a medical persuasion for a proper diagnosis....

..but I will also add my own opinion; straight bars are the work of the devil, and should be thrown vigorously towards the nearest recycling facility...

I found that they curved my shoulder blades inwards and placed my wrists and elbows at angles most unnatural. Having forsaken them, I'm now using these handlebars from ergotech;
20230902_090601.jpg
From an anecdotal perspective, these bars have improved my posture, lessened the frequency of my headaches and migraines.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I can see the advantage of these "North Road" handle bars where the tendency of the body is to push the wrist joint in the line of travel, relying more on grip for stability. Straight bars present a hard stop, being square to the line of travel.
I have toyed with fitting Dutch Anatomic bars and have quite a bit of experience with these, having them on a previous Claud Butler Odyssey hybrid with gripshifters on both chain wheels and block.
Frankly, I'm fed up trying to sort this,though I think I can fit Dutch bars without cable length problems.
I have fitted an adjustable stem ranging from 20-60 degrees, both lifting and shortening my reach.
My saddle is a Brooks sprung B67, and I've coupled it with a Cane Creek Thudbuster, which I confess is a bit of overkill!!!
When I swapped the existig seat post for the CK, I bought a Maddison Flux Classic, hoping I might get on with it.
No such luck and I re jigged the B67 with the post clamp as far forward on the steel rails as it goes.
Presently, it only takes one day for me to be able to hold a cup to my mouth after a ride, whereas before the new stem it was still painful after three days.
Don't get old!!!!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

arnsider wrote: 5 Jan 2024, 2:38pm I can see the advantage of these "North Road" handle bars where the tendency of the body is to push the wrist joint in the line of travel, relying more on grip for stability. Straight bars present a hard stop, being square to the line of travel.
I have toyed with fitting Dutch Anatomic bars and have quite a bit of experience with these, having them on a previous Claud Butler Odyssey hybrid with gripshifters on both chain wheels and block.
Frankly, I'm fed up trying to sort this,though I think I can fit Dutch bars without cable length problems.
I have fitted an adjustable stem ranging from 20-60 degrees, both lifting and shortening my reach.
My saddle is a Brooks sprung B67, and I've coupled it with a Cane Creek Thudbuster, which I confess is a bit of overkill!!!
When I swapped the existig seat post for the CK, I bought a Maddison Flux Classic, hoping I might get on with it.
No such luck and I re jigged the B67 with the post clamp as far forward on the steel rails as it goes.
Presently, it only takes one day for me to be able to hold a cup to my mouth after a ride, whereas before the new stem it was still painful after three days.
Don't get old!!!!
If its only riding the bike that produces the elbow pain, then isn't it worth carrying on attempting to sort it out?
Recovery in one day doesn't sound like arthritis to me, more like tendonitis/bursitis/tennis elbow/golfer's elbow.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Well, You are probably right about it not being arthritis. It's so complicated having had a bucket load of polymyalgia amounting to four years, then since May last year, a painful frozen shoulder. I did see a sports masseur yesterday and felt some improvement. Certainly, the shoulder is not as painful. I went out for a twenty five mile ride on my e bike today. I wore the elbow brace for the first time and the pain is not so bad. I am just supping a pot of tea now. Crikey, it was blinking cold to start and my hands took about four miles to thaw out!!
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

arnsider wrote: 5 Jan 2024, 2:38pm I can see the advantage of these "North Road" handle bars where the tendency of the body is to push the wrist joint in the line of travel, relying more on grip for stability. Straight bars present a hard stop, being square to the line of travel.
I've been using my englischer 'bars for 8 or 9 months, and I've not noticed that I need to use any more grip when I turn the 'bars from the time when I was using straight 'bars...
..I think we forget that when we turn we actually use our body balance to initiate the turn... if I'm turning left at the top of my road, instinctively I've already leaned slightly to my left, this causes the wheel to flop over to the left, so rather than pull or push the 'bars to get me around the corner, all my hands and arms are doing is just controlling the rate and the amount of front wheel flop which has been generate by my lean..
And this body lean is so instinctive and becomes so subconscious that we forget we're actually doing it.

Indeed if you try and steer a bike without leaning, all sorts of horrible things can happen..

Admittedly the 'bars make your bike look like a wheelbarrow.. but at the height of my migraine attacks I was losing 3 to 5 days a month, either asleep through pain killers or curled up in a tight ball waiting for the barbed wire in my head to stop dancing around... since I fitted them, I've lost 3 or 4 days in a whole 8 or 9 months due to migraines.. so Yeah, I'll take less migraines over a stoopid looking bike any day :-)
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

The Physio at my Doctors practice has given me a link to a brace known as an epicondylitis clasp.
Epicondylitis being the medical term for tennis elbow.
I'd already purchased an elbow brace, but it is slightly diffferently configured.
These clasps are not expensive, so I am ordering a couple from Amazon.
Things still look bleak though, as yesterday, I rode my E bike the two miles to collect my car from the menders and suffered the same old stiffness and pain, just after a very short run.
Unfortunately, my PMR is still active and my Doc has ordered a steroid injection in my shoulders, rather than put me back on Prednisoloene.
I'm just hoping for some resolution as the Spring will soon be with us.
Just as an aside, I saw some Snowdrops growing by the roadside on a walk!!
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Things still look bleak though, as yesterday, I rode my E bike the two miles to collect my car from the menders and suffered the same old stiffness and pain, just after a very short run.
I used to get stiffness and pain.I swapped lots of olive oil for butter.
I initially exercise very very very slowly with warm windcheaters and suitable clothing.Try a slow warm up and keep us posted.
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531